PDA

View Full Version : Grease gun for non-cartridge grease exist?

Patrick Irish
05-07-2017, 11:57 PM
The old lever handle grease gun I have is for 14oz grease cartridges. I just. I bought some grease for a planer that does not come in a cartridge. Unless I find an empty grease cartridge tube, my gun won't work.

Anyone know where to get a full size or mini grease gun that allows I pack fill it with my own grease? I'm not getting lucky in my search. I guess finding an empty 14oz tune would also work, can't find one of these either.

My last option is buying a cheap tube of grease and emptying it out into a bag or something and use it the tube.

Bruce Page
05-08-2017, 12:15 AM
I have a 3 oz. mini grease gun I bought for ~ $15 from Amazon and just spoon in the grease.

Bill Dufour
05-08-2017, 12:36 AM
They make chainsaw guns for bulk grease. not sure what the tip looks like. i suppose you could replace the pipe a the end. These will be lower pressure with no mechanical advantage and a large piston pump.
Bill D.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oregon-Manual-Pre-Loaded-Grease-Gun/1112145?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-Chainsaws-_-1112145:Oregon&CAWELAID=&kpid=1112145&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1086&k_clickID=3858d539-5725-44f4-8579-16eb2e71862e&gclid=CNi_jeu739MCFU07gQodY38H3w

Bill Dufour
05-08-2017, 12:38 AM
My father had a caulking gun for bulk caulking loaded from a pail. They still make caulking guns that get loaded with a sausage of caulk in a bag.
Bill D.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bulk+caulking+gun&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=182030718852&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10309060277423973890&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032275&hvtargid=kwd-7986772637&ref=pd_sl_8pxdcyfoiq_e_p19

Wayne Lomman
05-08-2017, 3:50 AM
I have the opposite problem - my grease gun is very old and only takes bulk grease. Bruce has the right idea though. Cheers

peter gagliardi
05-08-2017, 8:20 AM
McMaster Carr, MSC, or Grainger will all have them.

Mike Cutler
05-08-2017, 9:37 AM
Patrick

It's odd that you're having trouble, but maybe it's a regional thing.
Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Northern, Sears, HF, etc all have non cartridge grease guns, or "bulk grease guns". Home Depot has a mini gun that's very convenient.
I have two in the garage somewhere that I don't use any longer, probably can't find either, since I went to a pneumatic grease gun.
I think something happened with your search engine when you typed it in.

Robert Parent
05-09-2017, 7:45 AM
I bought a small gun from McMaster Carr and it has worked well for my CNC router rails. They have several styles to pick from, the one I have uses bulk grease. McMaster also has several grease types which I could not find local, maybe you can find what you need and use your current gun.

Robert

Earl McCreary
05-10-2017, 1:13 AM
Most all grease guns can be bulk loaded. The newer guns have a follower (the spring loaded part that pushes the grease up to the head with the piston pump) that will work with the diameter of the grease gun for bulk loading or with the diameter of the cardboard tube for cartridge loading. Most older guns can be converted from cartridge to bulk by flipping the rubber follower from pointing in one direction to the other. The dual loading guns are available at NAPA Auto Parts.

John Lankers
05-10-2017, 3:14 PM
Most all grease guns can be bulk loaded. The newer guns have a follower (the spring loaded part that pushes the grease up to the head with the piston pump) that will work with the diameter of the grease gun for bulk loading or with the diameter of the cardboard tube for cartridge loading. Most older guns can be converted from cartridge to bulk by flipping the rubber follower from pointing in one direction to the other. The dual loading guns are available at NAPA Auto Parts.
I used to buy bulk grease for the farm and that's exactly how it works. A battery powered grease gun in the field and an air powered gun directly hooked up to the drum let's you get in to tight spaces and also blow the seals out of the bearings if not careful.

Ronald Blue
05-11-2017, 10:03 PM
We used to bulk load the grease gun on the farm. We had a pump that sat on the 5 gallon bucket of grease and the gun had a fitting by the handle/pump that mated up to the fitting on the bucket pump. As you pumped grease from the bucket into the gun the piston handle would extend with each stroke of the pump. You could tell how full you were getting. The advantage to tubes of grease is that when you have land miles from the base of operations you can't run back just to fill the gun. You can carry a case of tubes and when you empty one pop another in, bleed the air and your back in business.
Here is a link for a gun at Home Depot. It's dual load.
homedepot.com/p/Lubrimatic-Standard-Duty-Pistol-Grease-Gun-30-300/203919469

Bill Berklich
05-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Tractor Supply has them too - usually cheaper than McMaster-Carr