PDA

View Full Version : Split Table Fix

Ryan Tea
05-07-2017, 9:16 PM
I thought everything was moving well with my breadboards over the seasons. I had about a 1/2-3/4" movement on my table as well as my benches. However, I did notice that one side wasn't moving as much. My guess is that I did not elongate the pin hole enough and it somehow wedged itself. So now I have this pretty little crack in my table......The wood is reclaimed Chestnut so there was some minor prepping issues originally, but this split looks to be the breadboard pin issue? 359787359789

- Is it possible to epoxy so the split won't run any further?

Just FYI, the breadboard has a long tongue and groove through it with about an inch or so cut off of each end tongue for movement. Only a small portion of center is glued and everything is pinned in with elongated holes in the tongue.

Looking for suggestions for the fast fix until the day I can cut it off and redo. Thanks!

John TenEyck
05-07-2017, 9:40 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't do anything about it. Maybe you didn't allow enough for the shrinkage that occurred, maybe the tenon was too tight in the mortise. Whatever, the crack is tiny and wouldn't bother me. But if it did I'd wait until the crack closes back up as the wood swells, then flip the top over and glue in a Dutchman on the bottom side to hold it shut. I wouldn't do anything on the top or cut off the breadboard as that would just increase the odds of creating new problems or an imperfect fix, at least for me.

John

Bradley Gray
05-07-2017, 9:55 PM
Ok, if this is a table I made for my house, I would wait and see if it gets worse(probably a lot worse -just ask my wife). If it is a call back and is hauled/ shipped back I would want a permanent fix.

How recently did you make the table? The wood is drying for some reason and may continue, so filling with epoxy is unlikely to cure the problem.

Once you start with any kind of filler you lose the chance to glue it closed.

Drill or drive out the breadboard pins, remove the breadboards( drive wedges on both ends), glue the crack with clamps and replace the ends so they allow for more movement.

Andrew Hughes
05-07-2017, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. It's still a very good looking table that will serve it purpose for a long time.
Someone in the future will want to make one just like it only to fall short trying recreate the crack.:)

Ryan Tea
05-08-2017, 1:19 AM
Thank you all for the responses. The table is at my house and it was made a year ago. I do not know why it wouldn't be dry considering it was made from a barn that was extremely old and then re-dried (from what I was told). It is in the same room as a wood burning stove, but I keep a humidifier on when I burn.

Two say to leave it and one says to take it apart and fix it....ha! I'm just thinking in my head, could you imagine taking it apart and going through all of that and it not be the pin?