PDA

View Full Version : A Saw I made

lowell holmes
05-07-2017, 4:41 PM

This is a tenon saw I made from a Ron Bontz kit. It is a 4"X 16" saw plate.

I got the toothed saw plate, back, and saw nuts from Ron. He consulted with me when I needed help.
I sharpened and set the teeth my self . The back is epoxyed onto the saw plate.

The handle is my design made from scratch. The saw has a 12 degree hang angle, which I like.

The saw cuts tenons like a banshee.

John C Cox
05-07-2017, 4:45 PM
Thats one nice looking saw.

Any chance you can post a build thread? I would love to see a saw made from start to finish.

Frederick Skelly
05-07-2017, 5:00 PM
That's pretty neat Lowell. I've kicked around building one of his saws, but I got a hunch it isn't as easy as it looks. I too would love to see more detail on your build - especially how you got the handle "right" (hang angle, etc).

Congratulations!
Fred

lowell holmes
05-07-2017, 6:06 PM
There are saw handle templates on line that you can download. They are pdf files that can be printed. I will be glad to trace mine and make a pdf if any one wants it.

Ron may have templates as well.

There is plenty of hang angle information on line as well. You could get a circle template and a drafting triangle and play around with it as well.

Half of the fun is in the planning, sketching, and then executing the design. There is not much expense, just time.

David Eisenhauer
05-07-2017, 6:24 PM
Outstanding Lowell and very inspiring! What is the handle made out of? I'll trade it to you for a genuine antique tractor seat. What do you say?

Nicholas Lawrence
05-07-2017, 6:52 PM
I'd give a dollar for it.

Jim Koepke
05-07-2017, 7:22 PM
That handle really pops.

I too would love to see more detail on your build - especially how you got the handle "right" (hang angle, etc).

For my first saw, a prototype handle was made out of some scrap pine. This allowed me to mock up a blade from another piece of scrap to see what angle would work best for me with my current bench.

After that my first real saw handle was made:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?180712-Back-Saw-Build

As time goes by the handle has been adjusted for comfort a little with rasps or chisels.

My second handle was made of rosewood and a bit smaller:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?249983-Finally-Made-a-Handle-for-Ron-Bontz-Saw-Plate

Not anything on that post about the actual work.

jtk

lowell holmes
05-07-2017, 8:02 PM
I used AutoCad for 30 years and I have AutoCad on my computer. It is a legal copy, I bought it when I was moon lighting.

The saw handle took 5 drawings before I settled on it. The handle is curly maple. The finish on the handle is hand rubbed oil.

The saw plate is a Bontz 4X16 with 10 tpi. I did use a drill press and band saw to make the handle.

If any of you guys have a saw configuration that you want, contact Ron. He will work with you.
Thanks for all of the kind words.

I highly recommend the saw plate size and tooth count for a tenon saw. It cuts straight, true, and fast. My old Disston tenon saw is a good saw
but I could never get it to perform like I envisioned.

I notice that Ron has a kit advertised for 4X16 saw plate. When I was planning the saw, I contacted Ron and told him what I wanted.
He provided the kit and I had a blast building it.

Kees Heiden
05-08-2017, 2:42 AM
Well done Lowel, and yes we want to see more pictures!

How do you measure the hang angle? I always find it hard to define an exact line through a handle.

lowell holmes
05-08-2017, 9:34 AM
I may be wrong, but I strike a line through the center line of the handle and figure that angle with the back of the saw plate.

Maybe some one else can elaborate.

Jim Koepke
05-08-2017, 12:10 PM
I may be wrong, but I strike a line through the center line of the handle and figure that angle with the back of the saw plate.

Maybe some one else can elaborate.

My handles were made to be comfortable when using. I couldn't tell you what the hang angle might be.

jtk

lowell holmes
05-08-2017, 1:17 PM
Off topic . .
My wife and I visited Denali a couple of years ago. We enjoyed your part of the world. We passed through Washington State.

I also remember the Alaska Pipeline, Dawson City, and the Inward passage. We even saw Sarah Palin's house. I was amused that they made a deal out of that.

We live in Galveston County, South of Houston. We enjoy the Texas Gulf Coast. I have kids, grand kids and great grand kids all over the place. I've made rocking chairs for all of them.