PDA

View Full Version : Help with patching a hole

Johnnyy Johnson
05-07-2017, 1:10 PM
This is not a wood working question, but this problem is keeping me from finishing up my bathroom cabs. I have a small leak around the pvc pipe from my house to septic tank. I have dug it out and located where the water is coming into the basement. My question is what do I use to fill the hole. The house was built in 1983 and the contractor put cement around the pipe to seal it. I can put my finger in the hole up to my second knuckle and then I can insert a small stick 12 inches into the hole. In the pic the hole is at 4 o'clock if u are looking straight into it. So far I have considering, If I can find a can of waterproof form with a straw to spray into the block. Then use Dap 100% waterproof sealant to fill the hole where I can put my finger in. The tube says its for doors, windows,gutters and siding. I am also considering getting a small bag of Quikrete to pour the power in and wet it down. (after the sealant cures). I hope if anyone has made a repair like this or can offer any suggestions they will pass on how they made the repair
Thanks Johnny

Jay Jolliffe
05-07-2017, 3:37 PM
Years back I had to put in another 4" drain pipe through my cement foundation. I used waterproof foundation patch...Ask a plumber.

Ronald Blue
05-07-2017, 3:41 PM
This might be helpful. Sounds like expanding foam might work. Good luck.

ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2612179/sealing-around-a-pipe-through-a-cement-wall

John Lanciani
05-07-2017, 5:00 PM
I don't think I would use foam below grade, carpenter ants and termites both seem to eat right through it. I would use hydraulic cement, chip out any loose material and follow the instructions to make the patch. I would also use fiber reinforced roofing tar over the hydraulic cement just to be safe and keep the water out.

Johnnyy Johnson
05-07-2017, 5:40 PM
I'm not sure what hydraulic cement is ..will have to look it up

Ronald Blue
05-07-2017, 5:49 PM
If you research it hydraulic cement is exactly what you don't want to use. Google it. Don't take my word for it. Actually it said unless you want to do it again and again. There is a lot of situations where foam is used below grade. Insulation for one.

Lee Schierer
05-07-2017, 6:36 PM
For any kind of sealant to work you are going to need to clean all the dirt off including up inside the hole. I would carefully chip away some of the concrete to expose more of the hole and so you can clean out any dirt.

I found some solutions to your problem here (http://www.basement-repair.com/foundation.html). Here is a polyurethane sealant (https://www.amazon.com/Leaking-Concrete-Basement-Repair-Homeowners/dp/B008CRIYJM) for sealing wall penetrations.

Roger Nair
05-07-2017, 6:44 PM
I would set a pipe with grout with a larger inside diameter than operating pipes outside diameter, thus creating a sleeve that the operating pipe passes through without being hard set in the masonry wall. Center the inner pipe with backing rod and seal with flexible caulk maybe silicone (I would seek advice on a sealant)

Larry Frank
05-07-2017, 7:22 PM
If it were me, I would do it the hard way and cut the bad section out. You could cut it out and use a Fernco rubber coupling.

Or, you could use a Fernco, cut it apart, wrap around and the use the band's to seal.

Whatever you do, you need to seal it well and not have sewage leaking around the house.

Stephen Tashiro
05-07-2017, 9:03 PM
I have a small leak around the pvc pipe from my house to septic tank.

This is a leak of plain water , not sewage - correct? Is there a reason that this area has ground water in it?