PDA

View Full Version : Period Repros, Bravo!

Jerry Palmer
10-21-2005, 2:58 PM
Don't know if it is the neander influence here, and other places I visit, but it seems that there is more interest being expressed in furniture of past eras and that is a good thing. Cases in point being Misters Turner's and Millard's beautiful pieces displayed here as well in FWW. With all of that, I also noticed a short piece in FWW concerning a recent grad taking the top honors with not one, but two period pieces in a juried show "in a room of contemporary" and studio pieces. Can't recall the complete particulars, but must say that I am happy to see that the great detail work of the past is again gaining aprreciation. Would that I could do 1/10th the level of work shown in the two aforementioned pieces.

David Turner
10-21-2005, 3:47 PM
Jerry: There are a lot of us alive and well. If you get bored some evening check out the Society of American Period Furniture Makers (SAPFM) website.
David Turner SAPFM #813

Alan Turner
10-21-2005, 3:56 PM
The Newport Kneehole Desk is my one and only repro, as such, and even then I made a few structural changes. But, I do like the designs of the late 18 Century, and much of my work is strongly influenced by it, even though no other piece I have built is after another.

Mr. Millard is a period king, as are a number of others, esp. at SAPFM. And, note the work of Steve Latta, from Lanc. Pa, in the new FWW. He knows more about federal inlay work than anyone I know, and is an excellent teacher and WW. And, our own my Wargo takes a few honors in that department as well.

The lines of the older pieces are excellent, and are worth both copying, and using as a jumping off place in the design phase.

Jerry Palmer
10-21-2005, 4:05 PM
I noticed Mr. Latta's name in the mag and it seemed familiar. :o I don't recall the exact piece, but I must have liked it in order that I read the info on it.

Was just over at the SAPFM site admiring some of the work and happily noted some of the less detailed/less immaculate pieces may actually be within my realm of abilities.

I have used some period pieces as the starting point on some projects, though I used the excuse of letting the material show it's beauty and avoided the dressings of carving and inlay.

Dave Anderson NH
10-21-2005, 5:56 PM
Jerry, Period furniture making is well within your ability. The hardest part is just mustering up the courage to get started. Nothing in most period pieces is really beyond your capabilities if you work slowly and think things out before actually doing something. The best part is that you end up broadening your skills and learn a bunch of new stuff. You'll never know if you don't try. The only real failure is the failure to take the chance.

Jerry Palmer
10-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Dave. Guess it is true, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Keith Christopher
10-24-2005, 8:00 PM
I agree completely with what Dave said AND would add, when you do make the mistakes, that's when the REAL learning begins.

Keith