PDA

View Full Version : Not a Plain Saw but a Saw Plane?

Jim Koepke
05-07-2017, 12:50 PM
If a person drives around Portland, Oregon they are likely to see at least one sign reading, "Keep Portland Weird." To me it seems like a fun town. Sometimes on the Weird-O-Meter it seems ebay has them beat:

Item #112396261273

appears to be a mating of an early combination plane and a stair saw.

Maybe SWMBO will let me splurge?

jtk

lowell holmes
05-07-2017, 2:03 PM
You must have a lot of time on your hands.:)

You do come up with some weird ones. What kind of groove would it make. It seems like it would define a clean shoulder with the saw. Maybe cross grain work?

steven c newman
05-07-2017, 2:31 PM
Kerf plane for resaw work?

Jim Koepke
05-07-2017, 3:10 PM
You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Being retired helps a bit. But this morning after waking up around 5:00 am, sleep was elusive.

My ebay search on molding planes came in early today. I always check the new listings and the closest to ending just incase there is something that needs to come to my shop.

This doesn't look to be one of them.

Recently a nice looking eighteen piece Harlequin set of hollows and rounds went for about $200 +shipping.

My current set of H&Rs is partially a double Harlequin set and is missing a few sizes but has some of the odd sizes.

For those unfamiliar with the term Harlequin in relation to a set of hollows & rounds it means the individual pairs are from the same makers but the different sizes are from more than one maker. Double Harlequin indicates some of the paired sizes are from different makers. Some of my sizes are paired from the same maker, some are different makers. As long as they match it isn't a big deal in use. Often if they do not match perfectly it is possible to use one plane of a pair to make the other match by recutting the sole.

jtk

lowell holmes
05-07-2017, 3:58 PM
I had to look up and find what a Harlequin set means.

I surmise that it means all the sizes are there, but the set is not matched. So it would be a matched set or Harlequin (unmatched) set.

You enjoy springing things like this on us don't you. :)

I have a Harlequin set of nails in a Folgers can I need to go sort now.:rolleyes:

Frederick Skelly
05-07-2017, 5:04 PM
You do find the most unusual items Sir! It always makes me grin. I agree, it would be interesting to see that one in use!

Fred

James Waldron
05-07-2017, 7:13 PM
It's totally clear to me that you guys have really messed up. The thing clearly has a grooving blade mounted, like any proper plow plane. Then, for cross grain work, it has that part you guys think is a saw blade. Actually, while there's no depth gauge, it relies on those teeth as a nicker, nicker, nicker, nicker, .....

Ducking.

Jim Koepke
05-07-2017, 7:24 PM
It's totally clear to me that you guys have really messed up. The thing clearly has a grooving blade mounted, like any proper plow plane. Then, for cross grain work, it has that part you guys think is a saw blade. Actually, while there's no depth gauge, it relies on those teeth as a nicker, nicker, nicker, nicker, .....

Ducking.

That makes a little sense and if it was in the listing might run the value of the plane up a bit.

jtk

steven c newman
05-07-2017, 7:25 PM
Or, just buy a Luban plane...

Stew Denton
05-07-2017, 11:18 PM
Hi All,

For some reason, that thing reminds me a little bit of the combination rasp/chisel that Schwarz writes about in his "Anarchists Tool Chest" book. (His description and write up cannot be termed "complimentary.")

The machine screws holding the saw blade in place is probably done so that the blade was removable for sharpening or replacement.

I have no idea of the purpose, or who made it, but I have no plans to buy one.

Maybe whoever made it was to break into the combination plane market to compete with the Stanley 55, and was doing it with "new concept in combination planes? I hope their second effort went better.

At the very least an interesting tool. Thanks for posting the picture.

Stew

steven c newman
05-08-2017, 10:02 AM
I know a couple people that attach a saw blade to their Stanley #45, and use it to make a saw kerf for those big frame saws to follow while doing resaws.

The Luban plane has a saw cutter.

They seem to think that IF you take the time to make a kerf cut all around a board, that the frame saw will follow it. aka Tom Fidgeon?

tried it ONCE, used the skinniest cutter the 45 had......didn't help much. The saw still followed the grain.