PDA

View Full Version : Small shop tour

steven c newman
05-06-2017, 11:27 PM
Just the $0.05 tour....

Open a white door, listen to the hinges creak. Try NOT to stumble down the ill-repaired steps....railing only goes so far. Watch out, cause unless you are a Hobbit, you WILL hit your head at the next to last steps.
But, once you get to the bottom step....
This view awaits. Most of the saw work is done here. That small bandsaw in the back, by the wall? It is what I started out with. have since found a slightly larger one. Tote for carrying tools to the sites needed. Saw til for most of my saws. Where the 6" circular saw sits, is my old router table ( haven't used it in a year or two) And there is a bench of sorts, to set my large (#358) Mitre Box on. When you turn your head to the left a bit..
A better view of things. But, watch your step, as another "bench" might trip you up..
There are a couple shop rags sitting there, trying to dry out ( Wife won't let me use the dryer...
Because I do have to share my space with the Laundry Room. A Shop Dresser and a spot to stash a few clamps. Some of my work is done standing, or sitting near that red vise. Although all the drawers are full, stuff still seems to pile up on top. There is a grinder, and an old Monarch vise. Once you step past the red vise..
And turn to the right, you will see where a lot of work gets done. Shop Stool, when I do joinery work. Opened drawer on an old dresser to hold hammers and other long tools. Everything is within an arm's reach. The tils are handy.
Being that there is no paneled ceiling, joists overhead have a few uses...
There is a rack for the eggbeater drills and ready use braces. Hacksaws, coping saws, extra handsaws hang out..
The yellow handle saw is reserved for cutting wet, nasty, reclaimed lumber. Don't want my good saws messed up. :eek:
As for the til of braces?
The far left one has an expansive bit in it. 14" Millers Falls. A few 8'' and 10" braces as well.

I think most here have already seen my main work bench, at one time or another.

Out of picture space, soooo, follow the trail of bread crumbs back out. Let me know how you liked the little tour...

Stew Denton
05-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Steven,

Nice tour and nice shop! One nice thing about the tour, we got to see stages of construction of some of your tool chests, tills and other tool storage. Because of those upgrades I know your shop is definitely being improved. Congratulations on the progress, and improvements....a well deserved "good job."

Stew

Frederick Skelly
05-07-2017, 7:20 AM
Thanks for the tour. I enjoyed it. Looks like you make use of every square inch of space.

Of course I took note of your plane till! Looks like perhaps a trio of either #3s or #4s on the right side? Do you find/restore/use anything shorter, like a #2? Or do you find those don't work well for the work you do? (I have a restored #2 and a WR#1 and actually use them both.)

Fred

Jim Koepke
05-07-2017, 9:40 AM
Nice tour, makes me feel guilty for my shop being such a mess. Maybe a little belated spring cleaning.

jtk

steven c newman
05-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Plane til has a pair of #3 sized planes, and a pair of #4 sized ones. If I need smaller than a #3, I'll use the block planes. #2 planes are a bit rare around here, haven't found any in the wild....yet.

Thanks for looking in....

michael langman
05-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the tour Stephen. I felt like I was there. You have done well with the organization of everything.

Keith Pitman
05-08-2017, 7:53 PM
All those tools hanging from the rafters remind me of the movie "Twister." Nice shop.

Don Orr
05-10-2017, 9:44 AM
Very cool tour! Definitely a place where work gets done. I like all the organizers that you have built recently. Thanks for the insight.

Mike Spray
05-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Very nice. Any apprentices? I try to make an effort to introduce some of the younger people I work with when I can. Every so often one of them takes to hand tools. Great shop.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-10-2017, 1:10 PM
Very nice. Any apprentices? I try to make an effort to introduce some of the younger people I work with when I can. Every so often one of them takes to hand tools. Great shop.

Although not an apprentice, he did indeed help me out and show me a few things. Steve is a "top notch" guy.

steven c newman
05-10-2017, 6:59 PM
Ok, as for that yellow handled saw that was hanging up in the joists....I put it to work today..
I had 3 old, nasty, buggy 2x4s out back, leaning against the shed. Decided to saw the bad stuff out of them. Nails, screws, BIG knots and splits. The saw works fast, and I am not too concerned IF I hit anything in the wood.
No square needed here, just the good old MK-1
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?254568-Small-shop-tour&p=2688755#post2688755)

Got 6 pieces of decent Pine lumber, intend to resaw them down a bit.
Oh, and as for the nasty stuff?
We have ways.....bugs and all. Who's got the hotdogs? ;)

Andrew Pitonyak
05-10-2017, 8:55 PM
Apparently you cannot sharpen those new fangled saws you used there, but the hardened teeth are supposed to hold an edge very well.

Seems you cut pretty straight, I guess you have had just a wee bit of experience :D

Grab some dogs, looks like it is time to eat.

So, what will you make with them that there wood Steve?

I really think that I need to finish trimming my kitchen, make two urn boxes, make some storage or shelves for my youngest, etc....

Time, I need more time. Not sure what I would give up.

steven c newman
05-10-2017, 9:05 PM
Will resaw the boards down a bit....small parts for a Pantry Cupboard the Boss wants.....might have a few to build yet another box....

Retirement means one has a lot of spare time......

Saw was part of a 3 pc set...$7.....when they do get too dull, I can throw them away, and get another set...don't feel like re-toothing them..

steven c newman
06-11-2017, 12:10 PM
All those tools hanging from the rafters remind me of the movie "Twister." Nice shop.

Used to be, ALL of my saws were hung from the ceiling joists......built the til, to keep the top of my head safe.

steven c newman
06-11-2017, 1:48 PM
OK, the once a year shavings clear-out is done..
Letting the floor dry out, now. Took three trips with a 33 gal. trash can, but..
But, Compost will happen.
Saw til is just about filled out..
Need to get a tote cleaned out, and reloaded for a trip to VA. this coming weekend.....
More to follow.....when I get cooled off.....almost as hot and humid in the shop, as it is outside....

Mike Baker 2
06-12-2017, 1:50 PM
Where you going in VA? or is that V.A.?

steven c newman
06-12-2017, 2:21 PM
17 June 2017 Just outside of Dayton, Virginia. Charles Neil's place.

Mike Baker 2
06-12-2017, 3:05 PM
That's a long way from Ohio. :)
Be safe, that's Father's Day weekend.

steven c newman
06-12-2017, 3:15 PM
402 miles...one way.

Was down in Vicksburg, MS last year, for the same group. Rust hunting both ways, and took two days of travel. Might be a shorter trip, this year. Might do a post about it, when I get back home....

Mike Baker 2
06-12-2017, 3:33 PM
402 miles...one way.

Was down in Vicksburg, MS last year, for the same group. Rust hunting both ways, and took two days of travel. Might be a shorter trip, this year. Might do a post about it, when I get back home....

Cool. have loads of fun.

steven c newman
06-19-2017, 7:11 PM
Got back home Sunday evening. Was down at Charles Neil's place. Brought home 1/2 a pickup truck load of hardwood, and more tools than I went down there with. Bad when you turn down TWO Record #4 planes......

Have a few new planes to rehab. On the way home...
Past all the mountains in WV....
Stopped at the ONLY Antique Store we could actually find that was open ( and we had to wait until we got into Ohio..) Found one item worth picking, as a large Thunderstorm was getting a might close..
Stamped as a Stanley 6" brace....$9.99 +tax.....even had a drill bit in it....

The other two "new" planes to rehab?
Millers Falls No.11, Type 1..and
Stanley No. 8...still working on what "Type" it is.
A few rehabbable saws, a Stearns No.85...and a few other toys.
Now have a decent wood supply...Maple and Poplar.

Looking forward to next year's get together.....

george wilson
06-20-2017, 9:30 AM
I,too,am a tool hog. But,they can make it hard to build things if you have large numbers of the same tool. The things I keep in large numbers are milling machine cutters. A lot of end mills. Fortunately they do not take up a large amount of space!