PDA

View Full Version : Another tool handle

William C Rogers
05-06-2017, 9:42 AM
This will be obvious I can't compete with JKJ's handles. I also make my own handles. I have seen many of JKJ's handles he has posted. They are first class. I wanted to make a handle for a tool that has a tang, but removable for sharpening. I also wanted to have more metal for set screw engagement. I don't have a metal lathe and even though you can turn aluminum on a wood lathe it does present challenges. Since this was all concept I used what scrap I had around the shop. I had a piece of 1 1/4" aluminum that had some holes in it and I had a left over 3/8" brass nipple. The 3/8" brass nipples have a 1/2" ID and the 1/2" have a 5/8" ID. I used them for my Thompson gouges that fit perfectly. I was originally going to tap the aluminum for the nipple, but JKJ's suggestion was to glue it and that is what I did. The tool is a repurposed HF that is similar to Cindy Drozda's tool.

I had made a tool handle for another homemade tool rhat didn't work out, so I repurposed that.

I had a small knob with a 1/4-28 thread and used that instead of set screws. I installed the tool and knob aligning it so it was straight. Since I had a round hole and rectangular tang, I sprayed mold release on the tang and poured casting resin in the hole. It was a little more difficult to remove the tool once the plastic set up and then I noticed the end of the tang was slightly thicker. Belt sander took care of that. I also used JB weld epoxy for all the gluing as the resin generates heat when curing. The tool is held tightly in the handle.

359690 359691

Note: I tried a steel,nipple before, however they have a seam inside that needs to be remove and not worth the trouble to me. I'll get some aluminum stock for my next one. I do not put finish on my handles as I prefer the feel of the wood over finish.

John K Jordan
05-06-2017, 8:46 PM
...I wanted to make a handle for a tool that has a tang, but removable for sharpening.

That looks like a most excellent handle! The problem of holding a rectangular tang in a round hole is one I haven't yet solved to my satisfaction. I have one Hunter tool with a square shaft I just put in a round hole and tighten screws on it but it's not ideal. I like your idea of the casting!

BTW, the only finish I've ever used on handles is one application of Danish oil. I found it keeps the wood a little cleaner. But sometimes I use no finish, depending on the wood.

JKJ

William C Rogers
05-07-2017, 9:15 AM
Thanks John. To solve your Hunter tool problem, send it to me and over the next few years I will try various methods and test it.

This tool won't see much shock/vibration during use. I used the casting resin because of that. For tools that will see shock/vibration I will use JB weld. I didn't use it here because this was the first time trying this and would need to figure out the best release, PAM, wax, etc. Lessons learnt: have a slight taper towards the end of the tool tang. Bought handles are nice, but every time I see the price I think I can buy a Thompson or Dway tool and make a handle to my liking for 5-6 dollars. But they need to be good handles. I will most likely make all my handles this way in the future using aluminum and brass nipples.

John K Jordan
05-07-2017, 6:51 PM
Thanks John. To solve your Hunter tool problem, send it to me and over the next few years I will try various methods and test it.

This tool won't see much shock/vibration during use. I used the casting resin because of that. For tools that will see shock/vibration I will use JB weld. I didn't use it here because this was the first time trying this and would need to figure out the best release, PAM, wax, etc. Lessons learnt: have a slight taper towards the end of the tool tang. Bought handles are nice, but every time I see the price I think I can buy a Thompson or Dway tool and make a handle to my liking for 5-6 dollars. But they need to be good handles. I will most likely make all my handles this way in the future using aluminum and brass nipples.

Wow, a personal R&D offer! I should probably send some extra cutters too.

I thought about just machining a holder, a cylinder on the outside and split into two haves with the square slot machined down the middle. Slide that into a handle and tighten the set screws.
Or just machine a deep slot and make a square rod for the screws to bear against.

Do you use some of Mike's tools? I loves my Hunter tools! I think I have at least one of almost everything he makes, big and small. The little hollowing set is great. My favorites for general use are the Osprey, and even moreso, the Hercules for both face and spindle turning. The new Clewes 1st Mate Undercut is the only one with the square tang: http://huntertoolsystems.com/product/1st-mate-undercut/

JKJ