PDA

View Full Version : Will this Irwin Vise Clamp work okay for wood?

Chris Hughes
05-05-2017, 11:46 AM
I just received this handy Irwin Vise Clamp, https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-5-in-Multi-Purpose-Vise/50168505. It says it is for multi-purpose materials, but I noticed that there is also a "woodworking" vise that is simply flat, without the gripping teeth. I was curious if the teeth on the one I have currently pose a risk to damaging the wood they are holding, since that seems to be the main difference between the general vise and the woodworking one. I use several different materials other than wood and would love to avoid having to buy another tool right now if I can.

Chuck Nickerson
05-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Those teeth will leave a mark on your wood. You can make wooden jaw liners to insert when you're clamping wood.

lowell holmes
05-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Well said Chuck. :)

Chris Hughes
05-05-2017, 12:53 PM
any idea what kind of wood i should use? Or doesn't it matter?

Rick Malakoff
05-05-2017, 3:34 PM
1/2'' Plywood should work OK but if your really into woodworking get a wood vise and set it flush with the top of your work bench.

The big pipe vise you have is invaluable in any shop just not the best for wooden stuff.
Rick

Nick Decker
05-05-2017, 3:45 PM
I use a set of these on my metal vise:

https://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Multipurpose-Vise-Jaws-Reversible/dp/B018QNM7V2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494013377&sr=8-2&keywords=magnetic+vise+jaw+pads

Still, any vise will mark wood if you tighten it enough.

Phil Mueller
05-06-2017, 6:56 AM
Chris, I think you would be fine using whatever wood you have around...with a bias toward a hardwood. I would probably make them a little larger than the metal jaws...maybe 1" larger all the way around and at least 3/4" thick. A dado or rabbit to accomodate the extended metal lip at the bottom of the jaw. For smallish work, it should be fine.

glenn bradley
05-06-2017, 10:50 AM
That's a nice multipurpose vie for a home shop. The problems you'll face in using it for woodworking is the relatively small pressure point. Just as we use cauls for clamps to distribute pressure and avoid dents, woodworking vises have large flat jaw faces.