PDA

View Full Version : Mount top of workbench with dovetail?

Steve Mathews
05-04-2017, 11:23 PM
In the video My Dream Work Bench (link below) the bench top is attached to the base with a dovetail running the entire width. This approach is very appealing to me compared to the traditional mortise and tenon connection. Any opinions of it would be appreciated. Also, do you see any problems using this approach on a split-top?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlIu7g_UrWU

Robert Engel
05-05-2017, 8:32 AM
IMO that's a design error on an otherwise very nice bench.

I just can't see the reasoning for it structurally, plus for the amount aggravation it would take, no way it would be worth the time.

Personally, every bench I've built are simply bolted to the top. On this bench I would eliminate the top cross support entirely and tenon the legs into the top in the true Roubo tradition.

glenn bradley
05-05-2017, 9:32 AM
It does look like a fun design element. My workbench top just sets on four large dowels (actually sort of large dogs driven up from below at the corners. Has never moved. Don't let that stop you from having a bit of fun with your bench build though.

For me a bench is a work surface. They last beyond anything I require but, my requirements change so I give them away ;-) I'm 60-odd now and so assume that somewhere before I'm 70 I'll build a 'rest of my life' bench and will probably give it a little pizzazz.

Steve Mathews
05-05-2017, 5:01 PM
IMO that's a design error on an otherwise very nice bench.

I just can't see the reasoning for it structurally, plus for the amount aggravation it would take, no way it would be worth the time.

Personally, every bench I've built are simply bolted to the top. On this bench I would eliminate the top cross support entirely and tenon the legs into the top in the true Roubo tradition.

I'm not being critical of your suggestion but why is the dovetail mount a design error? I can only see it adding strength and helping the top from racking,