PDA

View Full Version : 1st Weekly User Tip

Ken Salisbury
06-22-2003, 9:38 AM
As I learn the "goodies" available in vB3.0 I will try to share some of what I learn by periodically posting tips for using this great software package.

First Tip:

When viewing a thread or a specific post there are options on how the thread/posts are displayed. In the 2nd bar/box at the top of the window you can select one of three ways to display these:

1. Linear -- will display the posts as in the previous version.

2. Hybrid -- will display a threaded listing of the posts similiar to what was the normal on Badger Pond and other forums. The contents of all the posts are shown in boxes below the threaded listing.

3. Threaded -- will display a threaded listing as in the "hybrid" option, except: Clicking a post in the threaded listing will display the selected post only in a box below the threaded listing.

<p align="center">
"More tips to come when and if I get wiser"

Joe Tonich
06-22-2003, 12:25 PM
As I learn the "goodies" available in vB3.0 I will try to share some of what I learn by periodically posting tips for using this great software package.

First Tip:

When viewing a thread or a specific post there are options on how the thread/posts are displayed. In the 2nd bar/box at the top of the window you can select one of three ways to display these:

1. Linear -- will display the posts as in the previous version.

2. Hybrid -- will display a threaded listing of the posts similiar to what was the normal on Badger Pond and other forums. The contents of all the posts are shown in boxes below the threaded listing.

3. Threaded -- will display a threaded listing as in the "hybrid" option, except: Clicking a post in the threaded listing will display the selected post only in a box below the threaded listing.

<p align="center">
"More tips to come when and if I get wiser"

Ken,

Even though I click on Hybrid, when I sign back in later, it goes back to Linear. How do you get it to stay on "Hybrid" mode?

Joe

Ken Salisbury
06-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Ken,

Even though I click on Hybrid, when I sign back in later, it goes back to Linear. How do you get it to stay on "Hybrid" mode?

Joe

Good Question Joe !! - - I don't know if there is a way to define that as a preference or not. Maybe Keith or Aaron will respond to this one. If I find a way I will be sure to post it.

Edited after above: FOUND A WAY:

Go to your User Control Panel, Select "Options", select "Thread Mode Used" -- -- pick one of the four options -- save changes -- and that's it. --- Darn -- I am quick -- only took 3 minutes to figure that one out

Ken (who is still learning himself)

Joe Tonich
06-22-2003, 3:53 PM
Good Question Joe !! - - I don't know if there is a way to define that as a preference or not. Maybe Keith or Aaron will respond to this one. If I find a way I will be sure to post it.

Edited after above: FOUND A WAY:

Go to your User Control Panel, Select "Options", select "Thread Mode Used" -- -- pick one of the four options -- save changes -- and that's it. --- Darn -- I am quick -- only took 3 minutes to figure that one out

Ken (who is still learning himself)

OK, NOW I feel stupid! :o Didn't see it there before when I looked.

Thanks,

Joe

Mark Hulette
06-22-2003, 4:53 PM
Ken-

Nice work!! Thanks for all your work! :cool:

Joe Tonich
06-22-2003, 7:38 PM
Ok Ken (or anyone),

I went to User Control Panel, clicked on "Hybrid", saved changes, and IT WON"T LET ME!!! :( It keeps changing back to "Linear" all by itself. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

Joe

Ken Salisbury
06-22-2003, 8:35 PM
Ok Ken (or anyone),

I went to User Control Panel, clicked on "Hybrid", saved changes, and IT WON"T LET ME!!! :( It keeps changing back to "Linear" all by itself. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

Joe

Works for me Joe - try again buddy. Make sure when you change your options in the user CP that you click the "submit modifications" button at the bottom of the page.

Ken Salisbury
06-23-2003, 9:44 AM
Works for me Joe - try again buddy. Make sure when you change your options in the user CP that you click the "submit modifications" button at the bottom of the page.

Now it seems changing the Options in userCP keeps defaulting to "Linear" mode and will not accept a different default. Maybe Aaron can look into that. I will PM him to make him aware of the problem

Ted Shrader
06-23-2003, 10:22 AM
Ken,

Joe

Joe (and all) -

Go to the user profile. In the various defaults there is a choice for dsiplay.

All these new features are way to cool!

Ted

Glenn Clabo
06-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Joe (and all) -
Go to the user profile. In the various defaults there is a choice for dsiplay.
All these new features are way to cool!
Ted
For some reason it won't save the setting on mine either. Tried everything I can think of.

Edited... Just shut down IE...dumped cache...and it now works.

Ted Shrader
06-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Now it seems changing the Options in userCP keeps defaulting to "Linear" mode and will not accept a different default. Maybe Aaron can look into that. I will PM him to make him aware of the problem
Ken -

Mine seems to work OK.

Ted

Joe Tonich
06-23-2003, 4:46 PM
For some reason it won't save the setting on mine either. Tried everything I can think of.

Edited... Just shut down IE...dumped cache...and it now works.

Glenn,

How do you do this: Just shut down IE...dumped cache ? I'll try that and see if it works.

Joe

Glenn Clabo
06-23-2003, 6:08 PM
Glenn,

How do you do this: Just shut down IE...dumped cache ? I'll try that and see if it works.

Joe

This is one way...
In IE...click on Tools
Then on Options
In General file...delete Cookies...delete Files.
Close and restart IE...log in to SMC. Click on Hybrid.
Should work...

Joe Tonich
06-23-2003, 7:51 PM
This is one way...
In IE...click on Tools
Then on Options
In General file...delete Cookies...delete Files.
Close and restart IE...log in to SMC. Click on Hybrid.
Should work...

Glenn,

You Da MAN! :D Works now.

Thanks,

Joe

Aaron Koehl
06-24-2003, 12:34 AM
Apparently, the setting wasn't 'sticking'. I applied a patch yesterday to
fix the problem (in the vBulletin code)-- it should be okay now.

_Aaron_