PDA

View Full Version : Backlash and cheating....

Martin Wasner
05-04-2017, 5:44 PM
You're going to HATE me on this one. I'm guessing Darcy is going to really hate me on this one as it was in his backyard.

Take a wild guess what I paid for this hombre. And no following the hotlink back to the auction site ya' cheaters!

Mattison no. 177 Edge Sander:

http://hhimg.com/Stone_Gate/DSC04612A.JPG

http://hhimg.com/Stone_Gate/DSC04613A.JPG

http://hhimg.com/Stone_Gate/DSC04614A.JPG

I'm open to suggestions on lifting too. It looks like there's holes in the base towards the top on the front and back that I could sling it into the pickup with. I'm guessing pull the front table, and that'd be the easiest?

William Shelley
05-04-2017, 6:09 PM
A much cleaner one sold on ebay in 2015 for $3500. So my guess is "something quite a bit less than that".

Can you sling chains around the bottom, under the flare-out parts on the base?

Will Boulware
05-04-2017, 6:20 PM
Uh.... How big is your pickup? That looks trailer-worthy to me.

Nice snag, though!!! Let us know how it works out for you.

Warren Lake
05-04-2017, 6:21 PM
no hate from here im happy when people get good machines and good prices.

Ive seen huge German Stroke sanders go for 600.00 if there is no one there that wants it. So if we guess right is there a prize? ill put in 475.00 plus buyers premium and you didnt say if there is a loading fee. know thats low however ive seen stuff where there is no one there that wants it then other stuff where they are paying 3/4 of new? Tey are getting crafty with loading fees at least one recent one no idea of the weight is your pickup okay with it? I normally put 2" hard maple beams down to spread the weight over the whole surface. I do the chain thing to the bottom as I need to lift from above the machine and not forks below many times.

Darcy Warner
05-04-2017, 6:28 PM
I have bought some stuff from Hoff before.

lunch costs more than the 12.50 that set you back....

I had seen that auction, but I have too much going on right now.

I am not sure I would stick it the bed of a truck, I know my 78 dually would handle it, but not sure I would want to deal with it like that.

that's not too far from me.

Darcy Warner
05-04-2017, 6:29 PM
The Mattison are good sanders, Ekstrom Carlson 112 was probably the best ever made imo.

peter gagliardi
05-04-2017, 7:56 PM
2 long straps -1 each end around the indent in the base above the foot, pinched back to center would be the route I would explore, if it had to be picked that way. It is only about 3300 lbs, so a 3/4 ton pickup can definitely handle it. But for ease of load and unload, forks and a trailer would be safer and easier.
Nice grab.

Terry Therneau
05-04-2017, 10:28 PM
I'm glad someone bought it that can use it, rather than a scrapper. (I don't know if you found it via my deals and discounts note though). Many on the owwm.org list would tell you to rent a tiit deck trailer, only a few $ from Uhaul. It will be much easier to get on and off, and less chance of harming it. It it were closer I would have bid myself.

Terry Therneau

Martin Wasner
05-04-2017, 10:54 PM
2 long straps -1 each end around the indent in the base above the foot, pinched back to center would be the route I would explore, if it had to be picked that way. It is only about 3300 lbs, so a 3/4 ton pickup can definitely handle it. But for ease of load and unload, forks and a trailer would be safer and easier.
Nice grab.

3300# is a bit much for a 400 mile road trip in my pickup. It's a ¾ ton, and heavily sprung, but technically it's only rated for 1500#. I threw my SLR in the back thinking it was only 2700# only to find out it's actually 3700#. That was a top heavy load and an unpleasant drive home.

I really don't want to drag a trailer through Chicago. I hate driving through there, much less towing. The tolls will cost more than my new widget. Another reason to buy a flatbed pickup next time.

Hopefully it's fuctional and doesn't need much more than cleaning, lubricating, and tinkering. Can't beat the price though even if it requires some effort.

Martin Wasner
05-04-2017, 11:04 PM
I have bought some stuff from Hoff before.

Hoff is a local auction house. When I bid on this thing, it was 5:30 in the morning while half asleep and brushing my teeth. I thought it was only an hour and a half away. Wrong state....

I told my electrician about it, all he cared was that we could put it on 480, we are out of distribution on 208/120.

peter gagliardi
05-05-2017, 6:51 AM
Well, use your judgement, it is your truck. You do know that a 3/4 ton pickup does NOT mean literally 1500 lbs/3/4 ton, correct? Most 3/4 ton trucks have an actual payload rating of 2500-3500 lbs going by the gvwr sticker on the door.
My 1 ton Ram has a payload capacity of 4600 lbs for example- haven't used quite all of it yet.
Ford produced some softer sprung "3/4 ton" pickups in recent years to cater to guys wanting a bigger, but softer riding pickup who didn't need all that payload.

Larry Edgerton
05-05-2017, 7:23 AM
You create vacuum.;)

Martin Wasner
05-05-2017, 7:33 AM
Well, use your judgement, it is your truck. You do know that a 3/4 ton pickup does NOT mean literally 1500 lbs/3/4 ton, correct? Most 3/4 ton trucks have an actual payload rating of 2500-3500 lbs going by the gvwr sticker on the door.
My 1 ton Ram has a payload capacity of 4600 lbs for example- haven't used quite all of it yet.
Ford produced some softer sprung "3/4 ton" pickups in recent years to cater to guys wanting a bigger, but softer riding pickup who didn't need all that payload.

The pickup is tagged at 8900#, it weighs about 7400#. Mines old enough the name is exactly what it means. I've hauled plenty of stuff way overweight. A unit of plywood doesn't even level off the ride height, that's 2600#.

My pickup is from a time when Chrysler didn't offer a single rear wheel one ton, but with the right packages you got a ¾ ton door sticker with 1 ton suspension and driveline.

Placement of that weight would be my only real concern. When it is up high like it was with my top mmotor SLR coming home, it lost it's "race car edge". lol Sixteen years of use and almost 300,000 miles doesn't help either.

Martin Wasner
05-05-2017, 7:43 AM
You create vacuum.;)

Took a second. But I'm not real sharp in the a.m.

peter gagliardi
05-05-2017, 8:22 AM
300,000 is pretty good, I only have about 195,000 to catch up.
This was my best "get" and also my most top heavy- was a bit uncomfortable, but only about 125 mile trip.
359626 About 7' and 3000 +/- lbs. Looked like an upside down kayak with a skeg sticking up.
You may already know, but a friend turned me on to a very nice east/west road south of Chicago- Rt 30. No tolls, fast, and not busy at all. I took it recently coming from MA on my way to Oregon when I delivered a mortiser and tenoner to a friend there, and picked up my second T26. I dreaded Chicagoland, and Rt 30 was a breeze! Of course I don't know where you are headed, but....

Bill Adamsen
05-05-2017, 9:16 AM
Very nice score Martin. And yes I cheated, and am green with envy ... except that moving machinery this size stresses me out.
Peter, nice new mortiser. Love to see more about it.

David Kumm
05-05-2017, 11:36 AM
You should be able to rent a drop deck trailer. They simplify moving a lot. Dave

Martin Wasner
05-05-2017, 12:39 PM
You should be able to rent a drop deck trailer. They simplify moving a lot. Dave

I'm just going to swallow paying another $40 in tolls to get through Chicago with the skid loader trailer. It's going to be a long ass day to go get it. I figure I'll leave at 4am, and get home around midnight.

Moving it is going to be easier with a trailer for sure, fork it on, strap it down, fork it off.

300,000 is pretty good, I only have about 195,000 to catch up.

If it's a diesel, everything that says Mopar will rot and fall off of the parts that say Cummins, New Venture, or Dana. But, it'll keep going.

David Kumm
05-05-2017, 1:20 PM
I've done the Chicago thing a few times with a trailer and not much fun. I try to time it for 9-10 pm or late morning. but never very easy. People have little clue how hard it is to slow down quickly with a trailer when they cut in front and stop. Dave

Larry Edgerton
05-05-2017, 5:11 PM
I used to have to drive the race hauler through there to get to Joliet, try it with a semi. Not fun. I have family in Long Grove and although it is about an hour longer I usually go over the top.

How long did the "Four for the Future' project last, about fifteen years it seemed like.

Ronald Blue
05-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Looks like a nice score. It also looks like a beast! As for Going through Chicago on I 80....definitely avoid rush hour. I know you're in Iowa somewhere but the toll portion in Illinois is short. Still the IPass is a blessing. If I weren't an hour and a half from I 80 I would loan mine to you just to make it easier. It also works in all the EzPass states and because there is no attendant required cuts the toll from about 1/3-2/3 depending on the state. Let us know how the trip goes and how the "Beast" runs after you get it powered up. Looks like it is built to last a life time or two or three.

Rick Moyer
05-06-2017, 2:07 PM
You guys hauling too heavy with your pick-ups better not come thru this area. The local PUC cop will nail your butt to a flagpole, not to mention reach deeply into your wallet! Seriously though, some truck suspensions may be able to handle more weight that listed, but there are the other issues of braking and steering. Simply put is unsafe and ILLEGAL to overload your vehicle beyond the stated limits. I drive a commercial triaxle dump truck and I am not allowed out of the quarry over 73280#, which is the legal limit for said vehicle here in PA. Furthermore the fines for being overweight are prohibitive. This is a good thing. I have seen some very unsafe usage of pickups however, and smile when I seem one pulled over by the law. Once I saw a very small Toyota pickup with about a ton to ton-and-a-half of coal in the back. His rear bumper was dragging and his lights were in the tree tops! I can't image there was much ability to steer, let alone stop!
Please don't contribute to someone getting hurt by overloading your vehicle.

btw Martin, nice score!

Martin Wasner
05-06-2017, 6:55 PM
The worst thing I ever towed was because of negative tongue weight. I had something silly like 800 sq/ft of oak flooring in the back of the enclosed trailer. Back roads, and I wasn't doing much more than 30mph. Luckily I had to go less than 15 miles.

I've towed a lot and I've towed a ridiculous variety of combinations. Know your vehicle, know your own limitations. Getting cowboy about it doesn't help anything. If this were 3000# of brick on a pallet, I wouldn't even flinch at putting it in the back. It'd barely even squat, but being a whole lot of the mass will be cab high, I'm guessing it'll be an uncomfortable trip home with it in the back.

Darcy Warner
05-06-2017, 9:58 PM
The worst part of hauling that in the back of a truck is the lack of tie down points. been meaning to attach anchor points through the frame rails but I never have the time.

worst part of that machine in the bed is loading an unloading.

Brian Tymchak
05-06-2017, 10:07 PM
You create vacuum.;)

;) ...excellent...

Martin Wasner
05-08-2017, 1:21 PM
Haha! Turns out I'm more of a retard than I thought!

I screwed up my bid. So I didn't have to drive to Michigan.

But, I didn't piece that together, until I was actually in Michigan. There's been some expletives used.

Larry Edgerton
05-08-2017, 3:08 PM
Bummer!

How did you screw it up? I am curious as I was thinking of bidding on a dump truck they have coming up in Minnesota.

Martin Wasner
05-08-2017, 3:35 PM
Bummer!

How did you screw it up? I am curious as I was thinking of bidding on a dump truck they have coming up in Minnesota.

I don't think I confirmed my bid, and being it never even got close to my max bid, I never got an email saying I was it bid. A stupid mistake that cost me about $1200 today.

peter gagliardi
05-08-2017, 8:52 PM
Well, I gotta say, you definitely provided a good bunch of humor on this one Martin. No offense, but I have the unique curse- or is it an ability- not sure, to see the funny side of most situations. Things like this, people getting hurt up to fairly seriously, stuff like that. Always makes me laugh.
Then , the fact that you can publicly share it while being self deprecating over it is impressive.
Nobody likes losing a days pay, so I understand that.
You will recover though.
It was a nice day for a drive- I hope.

Martin Wasner
05-08-2017, 9:59 PM
I had a guy who worked for me who said I was really hard on myself.

Yep.
I am.

Why? Because it's better I do it, than the people I work for. A little public shaming will hopefully keep my head out of my rectum in the future. It won't completely work, but it'll help. I was just so excited to get it, I messed up. I'm really pissed at myself.

16-1/2 hours on the road. $58.40 in tolls. ~$140 in fuel, ten hours of missed work...

Darcy Warner
05-08-2017, 10:33 PM
should have stopped by I had a EC 112 that needs a bit of love and a new home.

Martin Wasner
05-09-2017, 12:20 PM
should have stopped by I had a EC 112 that needs a bit of love and a new home.

If you're headed this way at all, I might be interested. How rough is it?

After spending that much time in the pickup I'm ready to torch it. The hillbilly hotrod diesel thing gets old after four or five hours.

peter gagliardi
05-10-2017, 9:03 AM
The Ekstroms are great machines as well.
However, look very carefully at them. They have a peculiar design in the bases that I think controls the oscillation.
There is a longitudinal shaft if I remember correctly that is set in a, or a few long babbit bearings- going from a weak memory here. Anyway, It wears, and there is some procedure that was talked about requiring boring a long hole in the base through them if the bore is wore and needs repouring. Apparently the kiss of death to many a fine machine.

Darcy Warner
05-10-2017, 9:20 AM
there is no babbitt.

Darcy Warner
05-30-2017, 7:55 PM
it showed back up, coming to live with me for a while now.

Martin Wasner
05-30-2017, 8:28 PM
it showed back up, coming to live with me for a while now.

Really? Other than needing a new drive pulley, it looked to be in decent condition. The dude that actually knew how to enter a bid properly claimed he had it sold for $500. Maybe it was $350. I don't remember, I was in full on rage mode shortly after that.

Darcy Warner
05-30-2017, 8:35 PM
It ended up at another auction house. I did have to pay more then the 12.50, but that is probably the cleanest 177 I have seen. I will go over it, clean it, tune it up.

Martin Wasner
05-30-2017, 8:51 PM
but that is probably the cleanest 177 I have seen.

That wound is still pretty fresh... thanks for the salt. ;)

Darcy Warner
05-30-2017, 9:09 PM
That wound is still pretty fresh... thanks for the salt. ;)

Well, it did set me back a bit more, if that makes you feel any better.

Darcy Warner
06-01-2017, 8:21 PM
Hit the shop floor about 6pm, wired up at 6:05.

needs felt and graphite paper on platen and some lubing.

Runs and tracks great.

also stopped and picked up a 26" Moak BS and filled the bed of my truck with Weinig moulder parts, like almost 2500 pounds worth.

That sander is a pig, literature says 3600 pounds.

Leo Graywacz
06-01-2017, 10:26 PM
My edge sander weighs about 400lbs. Does a great job with no vibration. What's the advantage of a ton and a three quarter of arn?

Darcy Warner
06-01-2017, 10:46 PM
My edge sander weighs about 400lbs. Does a great job with no vibration. What's the advantage of a ton and a three quarter of arn?

7.5hp is nice, 1hp oscillating is nice, lasting 70+ years with no issues is nice.

Mattison made some serious stuff, I have a 202 and 404 slr, 6000 pounds each of awesomeness.

Martin Wasner
06-01-2017, 10:46 PM
That sander is a pig, literature says 3600 pounds.

I'm glad I brought a skid loader trailer?

If you want to sell it, let me know. At this point it's just a matter of redemption.

Darcy Warner
06-27-2017, 9:25 PM
Picked up an Oakley H5 today, little more than 12 bucks, but way less than it's worth in weight.

Martin Wasner
06-27-2017, 9:43 PM
I'm driving to New York on Friday to pick up a planer if you want to unload that Mattison.

Darcy Warner
06-27-2017, 9:46 PM
It's not quite ready to go. Fixing a couple stripped grease fittings. I am 37 minutes South of the toll road down 69, feel free to stop by on your way back if you want.

Darcy Warner
07-01-2017, 3:34 PM
An Oakley H5 has joined the Mattison and Eksrtom.

Martin Wasner
07-01-2017, 10:21 PM
An Oakley H5 has joined the Mattison and Eksrtom.

you have problem. :D

Small change in plans for me now. A semi sliced through the front fender and about tore my passenger door off last night while on the interstate around Janesville. Drove home this morning and hopped on a plane. I'm in Chicago flying to New York, renting a truck and driving back tomorrow. $3-4k to fix my pickup I'm guessing. $1k for a one way truck rental, and an entire day lost. I'm a little cranky about how much it's costing me to pick up this planer. Should've been a few hundred dollars in fuel and a balls to wall road trip to upstate New York. grrr. Pretty sure I could've justified shipping it now.

At least I spent two hours cleaning the inside of my pickup before I left so the body guy can maul it.

Darcy Warner
07-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Just have stuff shipped. Freight is cheap. Fuel and time isn't.

Martin Wasner
07-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Just have stuff shipped. Freight is cheap. Fuel and time isn't.

Short notice and I need it plugged in and ready to go this week. Plus it was from a private party. Had it been a dealer, I likely would've said crate it and here's my credit card number.

Darcy Warner
07-01-2017, 11:03 PM
My only problem is good deals. They are too hard to resist.

Darcy Warner
07-26-2017, 9:06 PM
Had a little time tonight to get started cleaning up the H5.
Oakley sure poured some beautiful castings, found a cool timken roller bearing decal under the saw dust and grease fuzz.364657

Andrew Hughes
07-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Are you sure it's a H5 it says on the machine C14.:p

Darcy Warner
09-06-2017, 11:40 PM
Captain slacker, I did end up replacing oscillating motor bearings and reworking idler end pulley, but it's alive now.

https://youtu.be/gA9_CvtMVAs

Martin Wasner
09-25-2017, 9:56 PM
Made it back in one piece and dry. My brother wrapped and tarped the snot out of it somewhere around Wisconsin Dells. Is it on 480 right now, or 230?

Also, any idea what length those belts are?

Martin Wasner
09-25-2017, 10:53 PM
looks like 8x164

Darcy Warner
09-25-2017, 11:28 PM
Made it back in one piece and dry. My brother wrapped and tarped the snot out of it somewhere around Wisconsin Dells. Is it on 480 right now, or 230?

Also, any idea what length those belts are?

Low voltage, 240v. Some of those belts were labeled on the inside. It's a big old girl for sure.