PDA

View Full Version : Beige house trim?

Wade Lippman
05-04-2017, 2:47 PM
A house is going up next to me. It has medium brown vinyl siding and white trim (around doors, windows, house corners...)
Today they are painting it all light beige. Does light beige trim not exist, or did they decide (correctly in my opinion) that the white trim didn't look good?
Or is there another possible reason I am not thinking of?

Mel Fulks
05-04-2017, 3:16 PM
I'm glad you asked that! The problem with all the "whites" is they are grey. A cream color looks good with tan or brown but is literally "off the (color) charts". We had some mixed. Grey trim is especially bad on buildings with sand color mortor but often used on college buildings...we don't have enough colleges teaching good taste.

Mac McQuinn
05-04-2017, 3:29 PM
I had my house painted (16) years ago and when it came to trim colors, I worked off the established, available colors of new gutters, downspouts and shutters. My trim was then color matched to these colors and everything worked out very well with no mismatched items. It was a gamble of sorts since the basic house color was also completely changed.
Mac

George Bokros
05-04-2017, 3:30 PM
Are they painting vinyl? If so I hope it adheres well.

Matt Meiser
05-04-2017, 4:36 PM
Ours is a beige. All the various gutter parts and coil stock for all the trim were readily available. Any chance they used a PVC product which would be white and are painting that? Our house has 1x stock around each window. That obviously is painted. Or maybe they thought it would look good with different colored trim until they saw it?

Our dryer vent lost a flap and someone replaced with a white piece. While painting the Bilco door with paint I had color matched to the trim, I painted the white flap. Its still holding paint after 2 years.

Jim Becker
05-04-2017, 7:45 PM
We used an "inverted" coloration design on our home, too...the siding color is a darker brown-green (cement board color) and the trim is a medium beige color. The whole thing sits right into the landscape and has enough contrast between the siding and the trim to be attractive without standing out. White trim on a darker siding can be "too much" for some folks...and I'm one of them. Example of our siding/trim on the right side of this photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/House/041.jpg

Wade Lippman
05-17-2017, 11:30 AM
In case anyone is interested...:)

I went next door and looked at it. It is a thick PVC foam, like Azek. It only comes in white.
A half mile down there is another house going up and they were putting up the trim. They said that all houses being built now use the foam boards instead of vinyl or aluminum.
Getting home, the painters were at my neighbors. They were painting it in place, while the guys down the street were painting it before putting it up. My neighbor's painter said that some people do it before, but then you can't fill the nail holes.

That's all I know.

Jim Becker
05-17-2017, 8:47 PM
Wade, some of the trim on our addition was the Azek. It will "live forever", but as an earlier formula, it has some pretty nasty seasonal expansion/contraction which has cause a little issue in one place. There are newer plastics that are more stable relative to that but still provide "total weather resistance", as it were, like the original. Good paint makes it any color. :) (SW Duration on ours)