PDA

View Full Version : dust collection for a DW735 planer?

Brian Sommers
05-04-2017, 10:38 AM
I like what I've seen on videos on how the 735 blows out the chips

but I don't want to buy a cyclone big vac just yet,

are there filter bags that I could just attach to it?

Kyle Iwamoto
05-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Have you tried Google? DW7353

Steve Demuth
05-04-2017, 1:28 PM
Dewalt makes a bag you can attach. I assume it works, because the blower is pretty powerfull, but its low capacity would drive me nuts. I use an Oneida mini-cyclone (about $50 or less) on a plastic pail, powered by a shop vac. Works beautifully as long as the lid fits tight.

Bill Dindner
05-04-2017, 1:31 PM
I use a Rockler Wall Mounted Dust collector with a cyclone Attached, pretty cute no act setup and works well with my Dewalt.

Scott Brader
05-04-2017, 2:26 PM
I have a DW735. I hook my shop vac to a Rockler Dust Right Separator (http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-dust-separator) and then to the separator. It works very well; although you have to keep an eye on the canister because it can fill up quickly when planing.

Scott

Greg Parrish
05-05-2017, 5:22 AM
You can make up a container using a grey lidded trash can, some pvc pipe/couplers and some scrap wood to hold a small furnace filter. Use bungies to hold lid on. Get one of the really heavy duty cans with the flat lids. Lowes sells them. Cut a hole through to make your pvc connection using an assembly of 4" pipe and couplers. connect can to chute with 4" flex hose. Then cut another exhaust hole in the lid and using scrap wood make a slide in holder for the furnace filter.

Hard to to describe but it works. Used this on a few projects before my Oneida. Not 100% but catches 95% of the mess and it's easy to deal with it.

Michelle Rich
05-05-2017, 6:28 AM
when I first got mine many yrs ago, I just clamped a grain bag in mine & it worked ok. The internal blower got a lot of the dust, but not as much got collected as today with a dust collector attached.

Jim Finn
05-05-2017, 9:07 AM
dw7353, as mentioned, works well. It does allow very fine dust back into your shop but you can place it outside and pipe to it.

Charles Lent
05-05-2017, 9:53 AM
The 7353 hose/fabric drum cover accessory that DeWalt made for the 735 seems to have been discontinued. They are no longer available anywhere, but Black & Decker now offers a leaf vacuum hose and drum cover accessory that looks very much like the DeWalt 7353 hose and drum cover accessory. Here is a link to the Black & Decker leaf blower hose and drum cover.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Leaf-Collection-System-Attachment-for-Leaf-Blower-Vacuum-BV-006L/202045620?&cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|B|0|B-BASE-D28I+Portable+Outdoor+Power|&mid=tRd1Vkus|dc_mtid_8903vry57826_pcrid_7339241306 6779_pkw__pmt__ .

I'm not certain that this option will have a connector that will perfectly fit the 735, but it's a good possibility since the 735 and the leaf blower actually come from the same company. Does anyone want to buy one of these and try it? If you buy one of these, please tell us if this works for you. I'm going to need a replacement someday soon.

I have the original 7353 hose and drum cover accessory that I bought when I bought my 735 about 10 years ago. It works fairly well, but the hose is thin, so it's easily damaged. The draw string on the drum cover part doesn't hold very well to a drum with a small lip either (think metal trash can). I keep telling myself to buy a plastic or rubber elbow to go between the 735 and the hose fitting because the leading edge of the boards coming out of the planer frequently catches on the 7353 accessory hose and will damage it if you don't remember to lift the hose over the leading edge corner of each exiting board. I haven't bought an elbow, yet, but plan to do so, someday soon. DeWalt made a near perfect planer when they designed the 735, but the exhaust port should have come out the side of the planer and not just above the exiting boards, or the 7353 should have come with an elbow fitting on it's end. I now use one of those blue plastic 55 gallon drums to collect the chips, and it has a very large lip, so the fabric cover stays on it (most of the time). The draw string to hold it on the barrel is much like the string and latch in the bottom of many Winter jackets. It works, but it can slip.

I always use my 735 outdoors in the driveway, so anything that escapes this chip collector system can blow away and not get into my lungs, but I have neighbors, so I try to collect as many chips as I can. Myy shop is small, so doing this outdoors works best for me.

Charley

Garth Almgren
05-05-2017, 3:02 PM
David Picciuto (formerly the Drunken Woodworker, now Make Something) uses this bag attached directly to his DW735 with a hose clamp, and it seems to work pretty well but it does fill up quick:
http://www.rockler.com/5-micron-replacement-bag-for-rockler-wall-mount-dust-collector