PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 55

john zulu
05-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Just wondering if Stanley 55 is a valuable plane today. There is are many planes from LV and LN which could make it redundant?

Chime in your thoughts.

Joe Bailey
05-04-2017, 12:38 AM
If you really want to know what a model 55 fetches in today's market, go to the world's most famous auction site.

steven c newman
05-04-2017, 1:01 AM
Actually, it is the other way around...a single #55 makes all the others redundant in that it replaces them ALL. Usually, it has 55 cutters.....and can be almost that many different planes, just change a cutter. Almost the same with a #45......you will have the same as 7 different planes in one box.

LV and LN merely try to copy it.....and it takes a few more than just one plane.

Cutters for the #55 alone are costing anywhere from $12 to $50 EACH, times 55? Tends to add up, plus all the other hardware involved with the 55. Can those LN or LV planes tilt to make a molding?

Jim Koepke
05-04-2017, 1:19 AM
The Stanley #55 is able to use non-symmetrical blades.

The planes from LV and LN can accomplish some of the same tasks as the #55. My guess is in the near future Veritas will have a large plow plane that can match a Stanley #45 with a set of "standard cutters." The #45 is a bit of a precursor to the #55. It may be called that because of all the cursing one does while trying to get it to cut properly.

The only Lie-Nielsen plane able to do any of the #45 or #55 operations currently listed is their tongue and groove plane. They are supposed to have a plow plane in the near future.

Lee Valley has the small plow plane that can do a lot of the plow work, make tongue and groove joinery plus it has some beading blades. It was my good fortune to be able to use one of them recently. Here is my review:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251419-VSPP-Veritas-Small-Plow-Plane

The #55 has something like 50+ blades included in a complete set to reproduce various moldings. It can be a bear, but it can also make some very nice molding in patient hands.

One #55 recently sold for ~$500 on the auction site. It was in virtually unused condition. Another not as nice sold for ~$350.

If a person only needs to make some rabbets, T&G joints, slots in the bottom of drawers or boxes, there is no need for either the #45 or #55. If a person wants to start making some decorative molding then they might be planes to consider.

jtk

john zulu
05-04-2017, 2:53 AM
I wonder if LN and LV will revive this plane.

ken hatch
05-04-2017, 3:50 AM
I wonder if LN and LV will revive this plane.

Why would they?

It may do many jobs....poorly. A single use tool will almost always do its job better and quicker than a multipurpose tool will do that job. It's kinda like a flying car, yes it can fly and yes it can be driven on the road but it doesn't do either very well.

ken

Karl Andersson
05-04-2017, 9:28 AM
I find that there are some jobs the 55 does just fine- in fact better than some more limited-use planes. It has twin skates, each with a nicker, so it can make very crisp grooves and dados in several sizes as well as flutes with sharp edges. I don't think LV (or LN) are planning to add any nickers to their skates at all, so in wood with less-than-straight grain there may be chip-outs along the groove if one didn't take very fine shavings or use a knife first. The 55 can also handle wide rabbets and grooves decently because of the "middle" fence similar to what they added to the LV small plow. The fences can mount either side of the blade, so you can plane in either direction on boards up to about 6 inches wide, and the long fence bars add more reach.

In my experience, the 55 works well, but then I haven't tried to make a complicated moulding yet. Individual single-use (wooden) plows, dadoes, hollows and rounds, and profiled moulders may perform a bit better, but it may take a while to find all that you need and in decent shape. I have several antique wooden side bead and rabbet planes and I don't see a difference in quality of cut produced, plus with its ambidextrous fences, the 55 can have more capability.

I think LV will continue to expand their plow plane accessories to make them do more than just plow, but I feel the nickers are a necessary addition if you were to begin comparing their plow planes to a 55 (or 45 possibly) in usefulness, and I don't see room on their castings to add them.

Karl

lowell holmes
05-04-2017, 9:31 AM
The Stanley #55 is able to use non-symmetrical blades.

The planes from LV and LN can accomplish some of the same tasks as the #55. My guess is in the near future Veritas will have a large plow plane that can match a Stanley #45 with a set of "standard cutters." The #45 is a bit of a precursor to the #55. It may be called that because of all the cursing one does while trying to get it to cut properly.

The only Lie-Nielsen plane able to do any of the #45 or #55 operations currently listed is their tongue and groove plane. They are supposed to have a plow plane in the near future.

Lee Valley has the small plow plane that can do a lot of the plow work, make tongue and groove joinery plus it has some beading blades. It was my good fortune to be able to use one of them recently. Here is my review:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251419-VSPP-Veritas-Small-Plow-Plane

The #55 has something like 50+ blades included in a complete set to reproduce various moldings. It can be a bear, but it can also make some very nice molding in patient hands.

One #55 recently sold for ~$500 on the auction site. It was in virtually unused condition. Another not as nice sold for ~$350.

If a person only needs to make some rabbets, T&G joints, slots in the bottom of drawers or boxes, there is no need for either the #45 or #55. If a person wants to start making some decorative molding then they might be planes to consider.

jtk

I have the LV plow plane with all of the blades. It is a very good, modern plow plane. There is no reason to live in the past unless you want to.:)

steven c newman
05-04-2017, 10:44 AM
I have the LV plow plane with all of the blades. It is a very good, modern plow plane. There is no reason to live in the past unless you want to.:)

And be limited by the future////

john zulu
05-04-2017, 11:40 AM

Well I have the same plow plane too. Waiting for the big brother to come out and evaluate the difference.

lowell holmes
05-04-2017, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure why. I find the capabilities to be all I hoped for.

I wonder if Lee Valley will come out with new cutters? Have you looked at the cutters available?

I have the full set of cutters including the beading and toungue & groove.

Jim Koepke
05-04-2017, 12:29 PM

Yes, the LV Veritas Small Plow Plane is a very good modern plow plane. It is also a bit easier to use than a Stanley #45 or #55. As stated in my review, in my opinion it is more like a Stanley #50 in use and size. For many this is all they will ever need.

Like so many other modern tools compared to vintage, the price of the modern tool is also higher.

Also as is most often the case the Veritas blades are supplied ready to use. The vintage blades will almost always require some honing before use. In the case of many used tools this may require regrinding to correct what someone in the past did incorrectly.

Interesting the complete Veritas set comes with 17 blades. If my memory is correct that is the same as originally came with the Stanley #45. Stanley added more to the 'standard set' over time bringing it up to 23, if my memory is working. The #55 has all those and as many more for cutting common molding shapes. Dedicated molding planes can be a bit easier to use once they are set up. The #55 will take up a lot less room and leave a lot more in the wallet than trying to purchase wood body molding planes to do all the same tasks.

jtk

steven c newman
05-04-2017, 12:50 PM
And, one can get a vintage combination plane anytime,,,,instead of waiting years for a modern maker to even put one out on the market.

I have and use the Stanley SW Type 20 No.45, and find it easy enough to use. Have used it for T&G match work, grooves, dados, beads, and can even do a few cove profiles. Haven't found much use for the slitter....other than using it's depth stop.

Sharpening? Other than re-doing the sash cutter, most merely needed a few swipes on the back to sharpen them up. The 45 also has that cam rest, to add support when you are working out in the middle of a board.

Jim Koepke
05-04-2017, 3:16 PM
Haven't found much use for the slitter

It can be used like a marking gauge. This comes in handy when raising a panel.

If one wants to make their own dowels it comes in handy to cut the dowel from the original piece.

When working thin stock it leaves a smoother cut than a saw.

There are other uses.

jtk

Stew Denton
05-04-2017, 9:10 PM
Hi All,

I am reading this post with considerable interest.

With regard to a company like Lie-Nelson or Lee Valley bringing the 55 back out, my thoughts were along the lines of what both Steven and Jim alluded to. My guess is the cost of manufacturing a new Stanley 55 would likely make the selling cost frightening.

As to "living in the past," personally, I like owning and using high quality woodworking tools, and I put a bunch of vintage Stanley, Disston, Millers Falls, etc. woodworking tools in that category, and "yes," I think it is pretty neat that a tool I might be currently using is 100+ years old. In the case of vintage tools passed down from family, it is even better yet knowing my Dad and Grandfather owned, and used this very same tool.

Stew

john zulu
05-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Hi All,

I am reading this post with considerable interest.

With regard to a company like Lie-Nelson or Lee Valley bringing the 55 back out, my thoughts were along the lines of what both Steven and Jim alluded to. My guess is the cost of manufacturing a new Stanley 55 would likely make the selling cost frightening.

As to "living in the past," personally, I like owning and using high quality woodworking tools, and I put a bunch of vintage Stanley, Disston, Millers Falls, etc. woodworking tools in that category, and "yes," I think it is pretty neat that a tool I might be currently using is 100+ years old. In the case of vintage tools passed down from family, it is even better yet knowing my Dad and Grandfather owned, and used this very same tool.

Stew

Rob are you monitoring this thread ? :)

Kees Heiden
05-05-2017, 4:10 AM
Anant in India seems to be still making the #45.

http://www.anant-tools.com/multi_plane.html

Jim Koepke
05-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Anant in India seems to be still making the #45.

http://www.anant-tools.com/multi_plane.html

Record made them for a while followed by Clifton. So Anat is attempting to challenge the second hand market.

At least Record did make some of the 'special blades' beyond the standard set. There may still be a Record fluting cutter or two in my accumulation.

jtk

steven c newman
05-05-2017, 8:20 PM
I went and looked through that site ( Anant) did not see any price listed for their 45 copy. I also noted a knock-off of the Stanley #50.

There is an Anant A4 sitting in the shop, right now. I doubt IF the A45 will cost the same as the A4 I have......$5. Would be nice to know what the price is, and who sells them around here.

At least it isn't a Kunz.....

Eric Keller
05-06-2017, 8:27 AM
Seems like people are learning to use them again, judging from youtube. Someone used my 55 a lot, one of the rosewood fences is worn through. If someone is starting out and wants to use a plane to make molding, it seems they are in for a struggle if they don't get a 45 or a 55. I suppose you could spend a lot of time accumulating wooden molding planes, but that always reminds me of the FWW cover (tools and shops 2004/2005) with the shop full of shelving loaded down with molding planes.

Jim Koepke
05-06-2017, 10:45 AM
I suppose you could spend a lot of time accumulating wooden molding planes, but that always reminds me of the FWW cover (tools and shops 2004/2005) with the shop full of shelving loaded down with molding planes.

It starts with a few hollows & rounds. Then a few skewed H&Rs get into the mix so one has to get a full set of those. Then it seems every maker is slightly different in how they designate the sizes or one wants to have both the even and the odd sizes. Followed by side beading planes and center beading. How can one live without a complete set of fluting, side fluting, corner round and rabbet planes. Then there are all the 'complex' shapes. Often times on might have to buy a box of old woodies just to get the one desired plane like a snipe bill plane.

Then they get to be like block planes and start to multiply. Especially if you mention your interest to friends and family, they start showing up with ones they found at yard sales, flea markets and antique shops.

And that is how one ends up with a wall of shelves dedicated to storing thousands of wooden planes that are all sort of different.

jtk

Kees Heiden
05-06-2017, 12:07 PM
It took some digging, but here is one for sale. I wouldn't recommend them though, Anant tools have the same kind of reputation as Kunz.

https://www.toolman.co.uk/acatalog/A45-Multi-Plane-560.html

Jim Koepke
05-06-2017, 1:55 PM
It took some digging, but here is one for sale. I wouldn't recommend them though, Anant tools have the same kind of reputation as Kunz.

https://www.toolman.co.uk/acatalog/A45-Multi-Plane-560.html

What is personally considered one of my luckiest bids on that auction site was a Stanley #45 in an owner made box set with not only a second plane, a Wards Master #45, but a full set of blades including all the 'special cutters' for less than the price of an Anant.

The listing didn't say anything about the extra blades, but looking close at the picture they were visible.

It pays to be vigilant when searching whether it be an auction site, flea market or antique shop. Rust hunting isn't for the easily distracted.

jtk

Joe Williams
05-06-2017, 2:50 PM
If you look at the sites, you will find that it's more the models with good boxes that are fetching the most money. I was able to get an almost perfect condition 55 with a good box for 450 I think it was from Jim Bode. I may never once in my life use that plane and I don't care. I take it out and look at it often. It's just a marvel of the past and it makes me feel really good knowing I have it.

I am ordering most of the old street tools planes over time, so I don't know that I will ever really use it.

steven c newman
05-06-2017, 11:47 PM
On "That Auction Site" right now, there is a wooden box, with the parts for a stanley 45 and 55.....and a LOT of cutters....There are a lot of cutters that work in both planes. Seems to be about the price of that Anant A45. Give it a few days, it MIGHT even double..

Jim Koepke
05-07-2017, 12:13 AM
On "That Auction Site" right now, there is a wooden box, with the parts for a stanley 45 and 55.....and a LOT of cutters....There are a lot of cutters that work in both planes. Seems to be about the price of that Anant A45. Give it a few days, it MIGHT even double..

If it is item# 112390879836 then it is mostly an early #45 and some parts from a #55. The #45 looks like a type 6 which still uses the threaded rods. The moving skate is from a later plane.

It is mostly a pile of parts that may or may not work well. One can get a better #45 for that kind of money.

jtk

John T Barker
05-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Just wondering if Stanley 55 is a valuable plane today. There is are many planes from LV and LN which could make it redundant?

Chime in your thoughts.

What do they make that is even close to a 55?

steven c newman
05-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Not a bloody thing....

lowell holmes
05-08-2017, 3:50 PM
There are 3 on the great auction site. There are no bids on any of them.

I think they are waaaaaay over priced.

Jim Koepke
05-09-2017, 2:46 AM
My search found a lot more than 3.

The completed listings indicate the recent sales of #55 planes look to be between $150 and $350. At $150 for a complete plane it is in the range of what a complete #45 can get.

Prices may have fallen over the years because of collectors all having one. Suddenly they are wondering why. Maybe old tool collections are going to be like Beany Babies collections and there will be a price collapse. My concern ins't the cash value of my tools as much as it is what can be done with them and the enjoyment derived from using them in my shop.

Might also be that people who would want to use them have instead found the joys of using wooden molding planes. If one looks around the cost of a #55 can buy a few nice hollows and rounds. My hollows and rounds are on shelves that are close to the bench and get used regularly. My #55 is in its box a bit further away with occasional use. It is more likely a #45 or #50 will be used for the tasks not covered by my woodies.

In my opinion most woodworkers do not need or have a use for the #55.

On the other hand a plow/combination plane like the Veritas Small Plow, a #45 or #50 or many of the other variations can be rather useful in many a woodworker's shop.

jtk