PDA

View Full Version : This seems like an unusually good deal, seller looks legit though

Joe Williams
05-01-2017, 10:43 PM
I am hardcore saving for this saw (Mafell p1cc) and I see it here for 668 dollars with a track and the tilting base, the seller seems like a reputable company. This saw with accessories they are giving you would cost another 300+ dollars to buy from the one dealer in the US. It also is the 110v version, does anyone have any idea about this seller? I'd love to shave 300 dollars off of what I have to finish saving. Are there people in the US selling it for that price? Even with shipping it's 250.00 savings. Thanks for any info you can provide.

eBay item# 122364221842

Bill Dufour
05-01-2017, 11:56 PM
Add says 110 volt which seems odd for Europe? I would expect 240 or close to that. What country are you in? What voltage in your shop?
Bill
USA

Peter Kuhlman
05-02-2017, 8:09 AM
They sell 110 volt tools in England used on portable transformers as I understand it. Don't believe the cord connector uses the same plug as the USA but easy enough to change. Looking at currency rates the USA prices are artificially much higher than in other countries. I have been considering a Mafell saw myself but at 900 with the tilt base it is really hard to come to grips with. Add another 100-150 for the track.

Oh and the ad has another 58 for shipping I believe so really about 726 but still about 325 less than the USA prices.

Larry Edgerton
05-02-2017, 9:15 AM
I would like to hear from someone that has tried the Mafell roll up track. Apparently it fits the Festool as well.

I have been looking at Aigner stuff in Germany, much cheaper, to the point of being reasonable, but do not know about customs. How does that work?

Andy Giddings
05-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Larry, whenever I order from Europe the shipper includes customs in the shipping fees. Am intrigued on where you are seeing Aigner stuff cheaper? The only place I can find a reasonable range is Scott & Sargeant in the UK. The base price is cheaper but shipping makes it more expensive than buying from Simantech in the US

Joe Williams
05-02-2017, 10:54 AM
It is a 110v but they have a different plug, the seller answered that for me last night. So either you would use an adapter or replace the plug. To me this seems like a no brainer, with shipping the rail and the angle guide it's like 300 or more cheaper. I am going to pull the trigger as soon as the CFO approves :P

Cody Jensen
05-02-2017, 12:53 PM
There is not a link anymore to check the particulars, but isn't Europe 50 Hz even if it is 110V?

Greg R Bradley
05-02-2017, 1:15 PM
The US Distributor for Mafel is trying to charge a fairly high list price, not discount, and give stellar customer service folowing the Festool model. There are sellers of Mafell and Festool in Europe that discount compared to US pricing. The US Dealer for Mafell may need some competition but there are very few people using Mafel tools in the US. It's about like when I bought my first Festool Saw and they had ONE dealer in the entire US.

UK requires 120v on job sites for safety. Their houses and shops are 240v but then you need separate tools if you work on a job site. OUCH! It is 50hz, which seems to not matter at all for a tool with a universal motor or a brushless motor. It's not like an induction motor that will move one pole of the armature for each current direction change.

I've used the P1cc when a friend bought one and ran it on 240v 60Hz. He builds boats and the ability to follow a curve in thick material made a Bosch 1590/1591 look bad by comparison, which is a good trick. Of course that requires you to use their Cunex blades when you want to do that and they are 5 times the price of Bosch/Festool blades. You can use the regular blades for less demanding functions. Just remember that the incredible videos on youtube were shot using $18+ blades.

Joe Williams
05-02-2017, 1:40 PM
Thanks for the info :) I did pull the trigger today and I am excited as heck to get it. I have loved that saw since the first time I saw it. I am a hobbiest so the blade cost isn't going to be a huge problem for me, this is total overkill for anything I would need honestly but I adore German engineering (have a lot of Festool myself) and this saw has a couple really neat features I want to play with, the guide rail is cool but being able to move the base so you can cut up really far is neat.

I've had a number of jigsaws and frankly I have just hated them. I just am not great with them and they just aren't comfortable or fun. The Bosch I had which is older is probably the best feeling I have had but nothing compared to what I am wanting. I have used all the Festool jigsaws, my brother owns them all and I didn't find them to be a whole lot better.

The way I see it at least with these, festool, blue spruce, lie nielsen etc. If I hate them down the road they sell for nearly what I paid and sometimes more when companies keep raising prices so it's low risk. This one is a tad riskier because it's a seller I am not familiar with but worth a shot!

Thanks again!