PDA

View Full Version : How to value a PM2000?

Mitchell Garnett
05-01-2017, 6:27 PM
I will moving across country soon and have decided to sell my PM2000. Despite a search here and elsewhere, I haven't found advice that gets me to an answer. I've looked at Craigslist, EBay, and done a general internet search for saws for sale too.

I think similar requests have been made here before but running the risks of repeating a topic, I'd welcome any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!

Cary Falk
05-01-2017, 6:49 PM
50- 60% of new as a starting point. You can adjust up and down for condition.

Robert Hayward
05-01-2017, 7:46 PM
Depending on condition I would start a fair amount higher than 60%. What model PM2000 do you have ? Around here the name Powermatic brings a premium on the used market.

Joe Jensen
05-01-2017, 8:58 PM
I disagree with the "percentage of new" pricing approach. My observation over many many years is that each local market varies tremendously in the prices for machines. I even met a guy once who would buy in the midwest and sell on the west coast. I would look at closed auction prices for your state on EBAY, you can do this. And watch craig's list. Machines that look like new are worth a lot more and machines that are run hard and dirty not worth much. Live in a small city and there are few buyers. Live near a large metro area and there are a lot more. If you are within a couple of hours from big cities list in craig's list for both and EBAY for local pickup only. Need to sell fast versus wait for the right buyer makes a difference too.

Andrew Howe
05-02-2017, 7:30 AM
Suggest pricing at 65% of new, I was shocked at how many calls I received on a jet hybrid I sold for a bit over 55% of new and mine was 7 yrs old. People want good deals. Just list and link the new price of same saw in ad to reinforce value.

Carroll Courtney
05-02-2017, 5:29 PM
Like the old father inlaw use to say"You can always go down but you can't go up" so start little high then lower your price if no calls

Patrick Curry
05-02-2017, 10:41 PM
I strongly agree basing factoring in your "location" when it comes to used cabinet saws.

For instance I'm in Louisville, Ky. Best deals on used industrial machinery starts 4 hrs north of me along the rust belt where the greater supply means lower prices. And I'd even say the supply of industrial equipment on the used market up there pulls down the pricing on the more 'hobby' like table saws as well.

It's not real estate, but location means a lot when an item weighs 500 or more pounds and a seller most likely will want to kick the tires before buying. My two cents anyway

Marc Burt
05-03-2017, 9:08 PM
Round here powermatics advertise and presumably sell since ads disappear quick for around $1500

Barry Richardson
05-03-2017, 9:14 PM
I bought mine in excellent condition from a deceased fellows' estate sale for $850 with a lot of extras. It started out at $1500, by the last day I offered $850 and they bit, got lucky.... as said above, it all depends on the market and location though....