PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Hinges

Dennis Putnam
05-01-2017, 10:54 AM
I built a pair of cabinet doors and am ready to bore the holes for the hinges (1 1/4"). I opened the package expecting to find information on how far in from the edge to locate the pockets. I was surprised to discover the instructions were silent. These are overlay doors dimensioned for 1/2" overlap. How do I determine how far in to locate each bore? TIA.

Al Launier
05-01-2017, 11:30 AM
There are a number of sites that you can Google up "instructions for installing concealed hinges". This is just one of them http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/aw-extra-103113-european-hinges

Andrew Hughes
05-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Test run on some scraps. Drill the cup mount the hinges see how they adjust you can do this all on scraps.Much better then some silly instructions on the Internet.

Jerry Miner
05-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Yes, test on scrap (probably 35mm cup holes--the industry standard-- can use 1 3/8")

What make of hinge?

Dennis Putnam
05-01-2017, 1:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I always use scrap to test before I do the real thing but I need a starting point. This is indeed 35mm (Liberty) hinge. I found plenty of instructions (including the one posted) that give a hard number for the dimension from the edge (3/4" and one said 7/8") but I'm not understanding why that is not a calculated number. Supposed my overlap was 1" or 3/4" rather than 1/2"? How can the distance from the edge always be the same?

Jerry Miner
05-01-2017, 2:04 PM
Dennis-- I am not familiar with Liberty hinges (I typically use Blum)-- but, in general, Euro hinges can be configured different ways, with different overlays, by combining the hinge type (staight-arm, half-crank, full-crank) with the mounting plate thickness.

I did find some info on-line for a Liberty hinge (http://www.libertyhardware.com/images/instructionsheets/Soft-Close_Overlay_Hinges.pdf)--don't know if it is the one you have--which shows a 13/16" boring location.

Dennis Putnam
05-01-2017, 2:23 PM
Yes, those are the ones. Odd that the 13/16" location is not on the instructions in the package. Thanks, at least I have a place to start but I am assuming the dimension is for 3/4" stiles overlapping by 1/2". I still wonder how I would do this if I had a different overlap other then by trial and error.

Jerry Miner
05-01-2017, 2:39 PM
For a different overlay, you would need a different hinge. That hinge is designed for 1/2" overlay (with some adjustment room)

Jerry Miner
05-01-2017, 2:45 PM
If you want to go deeper into the world of Euro hinges, you might want to look at one (or more) of the European manufacturers (Blum, Grass, Salice, ...)---you will find a variety of options, including opening angle, soft-close, a range of overlay dimensions, full inset, etc.

Dennis Putnam
05-01-2017, 2:48 PM
Thanks again. Interesting that there is nothing in the packaging or labeling that says it is only for 1/2" overlay. I was not aware there were different hinges for different overlays and I'm guessing that is because they are less common so few sell them. That explains a lot.

lowell holmes
05-01-2017, 3:01 PM
I suggest that you make a door out of scrap and play with hinge location until you get it. I've done that in the past.