PDA

View Full Version : Lally Column Cover: Removable Shelf Ideas?

Andrew Wayland
05-01-2017, 7:12 AM
This may be a tough one... I'm a newcomer to the wood working world, so my skill set and access to specialty tools is limited.

But I'm trying to think of a way to add a sturdy, but removable shelf for a lally column cover that I'm adding in my basement.

My space in the basement is limited, so a permanently fixed shelf will be both intrusive and ugly (the lally column is close to my bar: so I wouldn't be able to make an aesthetically pleasing shelf that is equal sides around the column)

The column cover is made of 3/4 plywood. It's approximately 6"x6" square around the column. I plan to add stile and rail lumber to dress it up some.

My my initial thought was to add 45* cuts to the stile and rail design on one side of the column, and then just make a board that slides in like a wedge, but I'm concerned about strength.

Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated!

Jim Becker
05-01-2017, 9:26 AM
Honestly, I'm have a great deal of challenge mentally understanding what you want to do. Any chance for some photos or sketches?

Tom Bain
05-01-2017, 3:05 PM
What about a fold-down shelf of some sort, using something like these:

http://www.rockler.com/folding-shelf-brackets-select-option

It could be as simple as attaching a board/plywood vertically to the column cover, the shelf brackets to that, then the shelf. You could have a shelf on just one side or opposite sides of the column. Just a thought ...

Mel Fulks
05-01-2017, 7:09 PM
If the column is in a spot that is architecturally ,as well as structurally correct ,it can be made to look good...in some manner. If not , its a mistake to give it more status. Sometime adding a non structural column can help make a sensible balance with the existing one.