PDA

View Full Version : Shop Insulation

Bob Holzknecht
10-20-2005, 9:59 PM
WE are considering a move in the near future . At the potential home the existing shop is 30 by 40 post frame metal construction . The metal appears to have a sprayed on insulation ( thin coating ) . My question is to add more r value is there any other solution beside stud walls and framing/closing in the ceiling . The shop has a wood burner and we live in Ky ( moderate winters ) your input appreciated re experience with heating this type structure and/ or modifications . Lastly the property is on a main gas pipeline and as a result has free gas for life as part of easement, I wonder why the current owner did not take advantage of this for the shop as he has the house . Thanks to all .

Jeff Sudmeier
10-21-2005, 8:31 AM
Bob,

Having free gas, I would definately be putting a hot dawg heater in the shop. These things put out a TON of heat. That said you are still going to want to get more insulation in that shop for the summer, it will be a bear to keep cool w/o it.

Stud walls and enclosing the ceiling is really the best way. Best of all, it looks great!

Steve Schoene
10-21-2005, 8:41 AM
You can get natural gas air conditioning as well as heating, so use the free gas and spend the money on tools.

Andy Hoyt
10-21-2005, 8:49 AM
Bob - What is the depth of the framing? And what is the thickness of the sprayed on insulation? You may find that spraying on more insulation (probably best to use the same type as is already there) is most cost effective and energy efficient. And if the new layer of insulation is still outboard of the interior face of the framing you'd still be able to sheet the wall without having to frame new walls. I sprayed my shop and it was highly successful.

Rob Russell
10-21-2005, 9:32 PM
If you can go with the sprayed on icylene insulation, that's going to be he best R-value and act as a vapor barrier. It's not cheap though. The real benefit would be in the vapor barrier.

Given that you have free gas, I'd put in both a gas-fired heater and gas-fired air conditioning system, both fed with outside air so the combustion chamber is totally sealed from your shop. That way dust and finish fumes can't interact with the flame. The other reason for using outside air is that you don't want the moisture from the flame getting into the shop.

With free gas, you can "afford" to keep your shop at a nice even temperature and humidity all year round, which will make your work environment comfortable and be good for the tools.

Bob Holzknecht
10-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the responses . The posts are 6 by 6 and framing 2 by 4 on edge ( 1 1/2 " ) . We are not at the buying point yet but hope the house is still on the market when we are . My present shop is 24 by 24 garage which I have drywalled walls and ceiling . Would like to try the spray on appoach to maintain openness if it works out . Thanks again .

Jim Becker
10-22-2005, 5:08 PM
I just put the sprayed on icylene insulation under our great room floor and Robert Tarr just had his shop done with it. R7 per inch...and it really makes the structure feel more rigid while giving vapor and air infiltration sealing. Expensive, but about the most efficient in the long run. I had 3" put under that floor which is about R21, plus since it seals better than other forms of insulation, the net effect is more accute.