PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for G0513x2 bandsaw

Matthew Curtis
04-30-2017, 4:03 PM
What mobile base do you recommend for the grizzly G0513x2 ? I have seen mixed reviews. Would it be better to build my own?

Cary Falk
04-30-2017, 4:35 PM
This is what I did with some square tubing and casters from woodcraft.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0191.jpg

Ian Scofield
04-30-2017, 5:07 PM
I use the Rockler All Terrain base without any issues. More than I wanted to pay, but I have a few of them and they really are great.

Tom Trees
04-30-2017, 5:38 PM
Do you guys find your saw is a bit tilty ?
I find mine does sway a bit, although I could probably reduce that by lowering my saw a bit.
I haven't found it to be anyway problematic in use though....and my saw isn't working right and I have to use excessive force to push the stock.
So I can say for sure it doesn't cause bother.
I used to keep my shooting board on the table and it swayed when using it and that's about the only bother I have experienced.
I haven't used it for logs or anything so can't comment on that, but for regular ripping and stuff ..no bother.
75mm casters make moving this 300kg saw ..I have made one for a 200kg one also with the exact same experience.
You have to clean the floor to move it ...any lumps on the ground you have to get it out of the way
Tom

julian abram
04-30-2017, 9:46 PM
I bought a 513x2 at the Springfield location a couple weeks ago and just purchased the Shop Fox mobile base while I was there, model
G7314Z. I trimmed about 1 1/2" off each side rail to reduce the footprint. I like the base, it gets the saw as low as possible to the floor, however the saw can still be a little "tippy" as Tom mentioned. I think the saw will be a little tippy sitting on any base unsecured. I will mention that I had to replace 3 of the mobile base bolts as the factory bolts would not allow the lower band saw door open. The factory bolts were M8 x 25mm and I replaced them with shorter M8 x 16mm. Nothing wrong with going with a home made base, I was just too lazy to build one.