PDA

View Full Version : Vector Cutting Table for Epilog

Joe Shinall
04-28-2017, 11:07 PM
Ok, so I lucked out on a Epilog mini 30 watt through an auction and I finally got it up and to my surprise, it fired up and started engraving. I do not have a cutting table for it. I see epilog charges out the butt for one. I found a site where a guy ordered 1/2" honeycomb that 1/2" thick from McMaster-Carr but they don't have it any longer. I do see some on ebay that is 1/2" cell, 1 inch thick aluminum. Is this something that would work or is there something else I'm missing?

If there are any other opinions on a good cheaper source for something, please let me know. I kind of need something quick so I can get some things cut out for the boss.....aka wife.....

John Bronleewe
04-28-2017, 11:47 PM
I recently bought one off of eBay for my Mini 24 to have as a backup and see how the quality was. I paid far less and liked what I received. The big difference from what Epilog sells is that the eBay purchased one had no frame around the perimeter which leaves it much less stable and easier to damage. The Epilog one had a sturdy frame that can handle banging it around without hurting anything That said, I don't see why you would have much trouble. I believe I went with 0.25" cells and that matched what I have purchased from Epilog in the past.

I'd LOVE if someone here knew where I could find a frame that I could place or glue mine into. :)

Ok, so I lucked out on a Epilog mini 30 watt through an auction and I finally got it up and to my surprise, it fired up and started engraving. I do not have a cutting table for it. I see epilog charges out the butt for one. I found a site where a guy ordered 1/2" honeycomb that 1/2" thick from McMaster-Carr but they don't have it any longer. I do see some on ebay that is 1/2" cell, 1 inch thick aluminum. Is this something that would work or is there something else I'm missing?

If there are any other opinions on a good cheaper source for something, please let me know. I kind of need something quick so I can get some things cut out for the boss.....aka wife.....

Doug Fisher
04-29-2017, 12:55 AM
At one time, Light Objects carried some with surround frame for a somewhat reasonable price. Not sure about their current stock situation though.

John Lifer
04-29-2017, 9:50 AM
Be aware that the frames on our Chinese honeycomb adds a thickness around perimeter that makes it sag in the middle. It is a U channel and it deflects the honeycomb up it's thickness and then elevates anything that much more if you put on top of it. Pretty thin, but laser focus can easily be thrown out by it. Unless you just have a vertical perimeter surround I think on smaller machine it could be an issue. I have big bed and cut away from the sides enough that the sag is not a factor.

If I were buying for my machine, I might forgo the frame.

Oh, and aluminum wouldn't allow for magnets to hold, major issue in my view.

Lee DeRaud
04-29-2017, 10:11 AM
I'd LOVE if someone here knew where I could find a frame that I could place or glue mine into. :)Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to cobble one up yourself out of 1/4" MDF or similar.
If only you had a tool that could make precision cuts in material like that... :D

Joe Pelonio
04-29-2017, 5:07 PM
Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to cobble one up yourself out of 1/4" MDF or similar.
If only you had a tool that could make precision cuts in material like that... :D
Yes, or use aluminum channel and epoxy or JB Weld to attach the corners if you can't weld aluminum. Remember to provide a support for the middle so it won't droop. I got some of the 1/2 on EBay to replace mine, using the Epilog frame and it works great.

Bill George
04-29-2017, 5:50 PM
Joe, Mine were pop riveted at the corners.

Joe Shinall
04-29-2017, 9:34 PM
Awesome, thanks for the input guys!