PDA

View Full Version : Used SCMI Si 12

scott vroom
04-28-2017, 3:43 PM
I've been looking for a new slider for my shop and had narrowed it down to either a K3 winner or SCM SC2 Classic. Their size and functionality are similar and either would fit well into my shop.

I'm ready to pull the trigger and then my son calls to tell me that a contractor friend my be interested in selling. I haven't seen it yet, but his shop is nearby and I'll probably take a look this weekend. My son has used the saw and says it's in great condition.

Any ideas on what the saw might be worth? Does SCM typically stock replacement parts for it's older saws? I believe the Si 12 was made in the 1990's?

Thank you.

Sam Blasco
04-28-2017, 5:23 PM
Scott. It will be heavier, more industrial than either of the newer saws you are looking at. It probably isn't single phase, so factor in a converter if you don't have it. If it is single phase, it may have been converted away from the factory, so double check all the electrics real well. I don't believe these were sold in single phase (but back then, who knows). SCM Component parts are only manufactured for 10 years after a production run ends, but many slider parts keep on trucking from model to model. You may be fine on finding parts, but there may be some things you won't be able to get, or you would need to modify. How handy are you? Check the slop, if any, in the slider (you don't want to see much, if any, lateral play -- how smooth does it move, look at the ways for the ball bearings on the slider real close to see if there is any pitting or excessive wear. If the slider does need to be replaced it is probably half of what new saw is today, sold as a separate component, not cheap. Saws are often great finds used. Use your common sense. Good luck.

David Kumm
04-28-2017, 8:14 PM
If it is the SI 12 short stroke saw it will be way heavier than anything new. SCMI stuff from the 80s and 90s was stout. 6mm steel with concrete in some of the base. Often 6.6-9 hp with a heavy blade flask and a decent sized arbor. Extrusions were thick. Prior to mid 90s should have a planed slider surface and ground fixed. Later sliders were also ground. Cheaper than planing. You adjusted the fixed table to the slider rather than the other way around. Actually much easier. If no scoring, it is easy to add a vfd. If scoring, a converter is likely the best option. I have an SI 16 from early 90s and if all of the crosscut and rip fence parts, Dust cover for the blade, riving knife, and overhead guard are there, I wouldn't worry. There are some parts available but I bought a second saw for $1000 and sold enough parts to pay for it in addition to what I needed. Motor could go bad and it will cost about 500-800 to rewind but you price that in when buying used. My old SCMI is not a Martin, but there is no Felder short of a Format that is close in build to it. Dave

Darcy Warner
04-28-2017, 8:16 PM
I have a SI 16 W. It's a nice 126" stroke saw. Currently buried in my shop though, haven't used it much.