PDA

View Full Version : Walnut coffee table, Jens Risom design

Tim Gerla
04-28-2017, 2:51 PM
I saw a neat coffee table designed by Jens Risom, a fairly prominent mid-century furniture designer, and decided to build my own copy. I hadn't built any interior furniture bigger than a little plant stand before, and I'd never really worked with hardwood, either.

It's all made of 4/4 walnut, assembled using dowels, some mortise and tenons, and Z-clips to attach the tabletop to the frame. For a newbie, I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.

I've attached a couple of selected photos of the finished project, and I've got a full build album here: http://imgur.com/a/2XfK7 -- there's a screenshot of the original inspiration in there, too.

359235 359236 359237

Thanks for looking! I learned a lot about the finishing process from this forum.

Jim Becker
04-28-2017, 3:56 PM
Very nice work!

Will Boulware
05-01-2017, 5:26 PM
Very interesting design! Well executed too. I like it!

glenn bradley
05-01-2017, 6:49 PM
Cool design. Very nice job.

Marty Schlosser
05-05-2017, 7:11 AM
Good workmanship! Details about the finish you'd like to share with us?

Tim Gerla
05-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your kind comments. A little more detail on the finish: it is all Waterlox Original. I sanded to 220 grit, and put about 6 coats of varnish on. This is the first time I've used Waterlox so I experimented a little bit. The first two coats were pretty heavy: brushed on with a cheap disposable foam brush. I know the instructions recommend a natural bristle brush to avoid bubbling. I tried one coat with natural bristles, and I didn't get significantly less bubbling, so I went back to foam--easier to "clean up" by just tossing the brush. Between the thick coats, I sanded really gently with a fine-grit pad. Then I switched to the "fast food busboy" technique and just put a few really thin and quick coats on with a lint-free cloth. I didn't want to build up the finish too much, so I stopped at around 6 coats, with a nice glossy surface and a tiny bit of the grain texture still showing through.

My understanding is that the glossy finish will soften up a bit to semi-gloss over time. So far I'm really pleased with Waterlox--it seems very forgiving and easy to work with compared to a poly finish. I'll definitely be using it for future projects, where appropriate!

-Tim

Frank Necaise
01-02-2021, 4:03 PM
Tim nice coffee table. My sister just asked me for one to go with her other Jens Rison table. I plan to start one soon. Thanks for the link on how you did yours.

Frank

Bill Carey
01-02-2021, 4:53 PM
Very well done Tim. Rison has some cool designs and that's one of my favorites, which you did justice to for sure.

Clark Hussey
01-02-2021, 6:29 PM
Nicely done!

David Utterback
01-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Elegant. Job well done. Thanks for sharing!

Ed Gibbons
01-11-2021, 1:59 AM
Very nice!

Tom Bain
01-11-2021, 9:05 PM
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your kind comments. A little more detail on the finish: it is all Waterlox Original. I sanded to 220 grit, and put about 6 coats of varnish on. This is the first time I've used Waterlox so I experimented a little bit. The first two coats were pretty heavy: brushed on with a cheap disposable foam brush. I know the instructions recommend a natural bristle brush to avoid bubbling. I tried one coat with natural bristles, and I didn't get significantly less bubbling, so I went back to foam--easier to "clean up" by just tossing the brush. Between the thick coats, I sanded really gently with a fine-grit pad. Then I switched to the "fast food busboy" technique and just put a few really thin and quick coats on with a lint-free cloth. I didn't want to build up the finish too much, so I stopped at around 6 coats, with a nice glossy surface and a tiny bit of the grain texture still showing through.

My understanding is that the glossy finish will soften up a bit to semi-gloss over time. So far I'm really pleased with Waterlox--it seems very forgiving and easy to work with compared to a poly finish. I'll definitely be using it for future projects, where appropriate!

-Tim

Tim — Nice work on the table ... once the Waterlox fully cures (it takes a while) you can always rub out the finish to lower the sheen. This is typically done with 0000 steel wool and wax but there are other techniques as well.