PDA

View Full Version : looking for simple can crusher

allan kuntz
04-28-2017, 11:21 AM
I am looking for a simple plan to build an aluminum can crusher. I have one from Lee Valley that crushes cans to look like a hockey puck.
But here in Saskatchewan Sarcan will no longer except cans that look like hockey pucks. They have to be crushed length ways. They say they can not grade them when the look like a puck
Thanks
​​​​​​​Al

Mark Patoka
04-28-2017, 11:32 AM
I just put it on the ground and stomp on it. Free and you can smash it into any shape you want. :) I hadn't heard that some companies now don't want them smashed like pucks.

Pat Barry
04-28-2017, 12:05 PM
LOL - Hard to believe they don't like hockey puck shaped cans in Canada.

allan kuntz
04-28-2017, 12:50 PM
ya I know go figure eh
Al

Jim Koepke
04-28-2017, 3:14 PM
The shredding machines get jammed by the hockey puck cans.

It could also be that it is easier to conceal sand and rocks in the hockey pucks than it is in a flat can.

jtk

Chris Padilla
04-28-2017, 3:22 PM
I'm thinking you just take the "can to puck" design and widen it. There might need to be something to keep the can in place so it doesn't roll out but seems it could work here in my mind. :)

Mike Wilkins
04-28-2017, 3:40 PM
Mine is size 11.
Lay the can on the concrete shop floor and apply downward pressure.
Been working well for years.

Jim Becker
04-28-2017, 3:54 PM
I bought ours from Lee Valley...which is a Canadian company, as you know. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2017, 4:20 PM
Go to Amazon and search using "aluminum can crusher" as the search phrase.

Here's one of a couple I found https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Zone-794001-Crusher-Replacement/dp/B00947A0DM/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1493410622&sr=8-48&keywords=aluminum+can+crushers

Bruce Page
04-28-2017, 5:41 PM
I bought ours from Lee Valley...which is a Canadian company, as you know. :)

I have the same crusher. It's had a lot of cans through it...:rolleyes: I glued a piece of 1/8" neoprene to the bottom to keep the cans from slipping, making it much improved!

Unfortunately, it will not crush the cans horizontal.

Sam Murdoch
04-28-2017, 7:32 PM
Seems to me you could build one pretty easily - a few pieces of 2xs for the press top and bottom, a couple of rods with springs set up between the two rods and a bar mechanism or handle to leverage the pieces together. Probably would need to screw or clamp to a surface or make the bottom piece quite heavy. A finishing touch would be to slightly hollow the press pieces so that they somewhat cradle the cans. Hey - soon to be on QVC :D

EDIT -

Upgrade to simplicity. 2 boards, 2 posts with springs. Ideally - boards lightly hollowed. Set system on floor. Add can victim. Step on top board. Remove crushed can. Have fun :cool:

Charlie Velasquez
04-29-2017, 11:48 PM
To me it seems the round ends would be the problem. It is thicker than the walls and inherently a stronger shape, when trying to crush flat perpendicular to its solid form.

I would change the angle of the ends by using one of the designs already mentioned, but adding a small wedge or dowel to the middle of the top "crusher face" perpendicular to the length.
It would contact the top side wall first, bending it inwards and forcing the ends down a few degrees so they are no longer perpendicular to the crushing forces.

when you take into account the added thickness at the ends from the extra layer of metal, it may be not much different than the thickness of the wedge.

Ole Anderson
04-30-2017, 8:49 AM
Another reason for returnable cans.

Roger Feeley
04-30-2017, 2:38 PM
I've always wondered if you could build a crusher with two metal plates. Check out the link below. We have two metal plates forming a v shape one plate moves in and out crushing the can just a bit each time and each time the can falls a bit deeper into the v. You could feed such a device continuously and the cans are crushed lengthwise.

http://gizmoplans.com/can-crusher-plans-0

Harry Hagan
04-30-2017, 3:26 PM
Get a couple of 2x6s and fasten them together length wise ( L ), and put a stop on one end.

Line your cans up along the length and drive you car/truck/ riding mover down the board.

Note: If you have an incline on your driveway, that will help keep the cans from rolling off the open end.

That’s how the guy on The Red Green Show would handle it but he’d probably just duct tape the boards together.

Matt Meiser
05-01-2017, 8:49 AM
Another reason for returnable cans.

Yeah, I didn't even know needing a can crusher was really a thing. But most of what we buy that needs to be returned comes in brown glass bottles ;)