PDA

View Full Version : dewalt jointers

Brad Hammond
06-22-2003, 12:16 AM
i've noticed that the dust and shavings seem to get clogged in the port that leads to the dust bag on my jointer. is this a technique problem or a dewalt problem?
just wondering what other owners experiences are. it's not a real problem, just trying to keep the dust out of my eyes.
thanx
brad

Jim Becker
06-22-2003, 12:28 AM
i've noticed that the dust and shavings seem to get clogged in the port that leads to the dust bag on my jointer. is this a technique problem or a dewalt problem?
just wondering what other owners experiences are. it's not a real problem, just trying to keep the dust out of my eyes.
thanx
brad

I'm going to assume you are refering to a biscuit joiner..."jointer" is a whole different animal and as far as I know, Dewalt isn't in that market.

It's quite normal for the shavings to get caught up in the tiny dust path on biscuit joiners...my Freud JS-102 has the same problem. I don't bother to even put the bag on any more...it's easier to use a broom than be constantly dealing with the clogged port.

Brad Hammond
06-22-2003, 11:18 AM
yeah...........biscuit joiner. i've been toying with the idea taking the bag off myself.
thanx for the reply
brad

I'm going to assume you are refering to a biscuit joiner..."jointer" is a whole different animal and as far as I know, Dewalt isn't in that market.

It's quite normal for the shavings to get caught up in the tiny dust path on biscuit joiners...my Freud JS-102 has the same problem. I don't bother to even put the bag on any more...it's easier to use a broom than be constantly dealing with the clogged port.

Rusty Hughes, Indy
06-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Hello,

I am going to remove the little piece of metal that is in the middle of the dust chute. I read somewhere that it is there to keep people from sticking their finger in their while the blade is moving. Huh, I don't I'll be putting my finger in there while the blade is running so removing that piece of metal should help the flow of chips.

Dave Coughlin
06-22-2003, 3:23 PM
Brad, I had the same problem but eliminated it Without having to sweep) by using an adapter to hook my shopvac hose to the dustport connecter. No more clogs! Dave

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-23-2003, 8:07 AM
We had the same problem with the DeWalt...so when the bag ripped, we didn't even bother getting the duct tape out (ALL of our dust bags have duct tape on them!). The chips shooting out are irritating, but not as much as the thing clogging up every third or fourth cut.

KC

Ted Shrader
06-23-2003, 8:32 AM
Brad -

My PC biscuit jointer has a pretty small chute. Clogs "after while" - haven't really determined how long it takes. Generally longer than one cutting session. I turn it up and give it a quick rap on the side with the palm of my hand periodically during use. Maybe this has an effect?

Ted

Jim Becker
06-23-2003, 8:40 AM
Brad -

My PC biscuit jointer has a pretty small chute. Clogs "after while" - haven't really determined how long it takes. Generally longer than one cutting session. I turn it up and give it a quick rap on the side with the palm of my hand periodically during use. Maybe this has an effect?

Ted

In addition the small port size, the shavings that the blade ejects when cutting solid wood side-grain are often long and stringy...and easily get hung up. There was a small baffle in my Freud--presumable to keep little fingers out--that was very prone to catching these shavings. It's gone on my unit and that helped. (Please note: I am not advocating anyone circumvent ANY safety devices or procedures on any tool.)