PDA

View Full Version : Places to visit in Fayetteville, NC area

Wes Billups
04-26-2017, 10:06 PM
I'll be spending two weeks in Fayetteville, NC for work and was wondering if there are any must see/do items in the area. I'd prefer to not travel more than an hour from Fayetteville so that excludes most larger cities other than Raleigh.

Are there any must see woodworking related stops in the area?

Also interested in any must see outdoor activities for the one weekend I'll be there.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Wes

terry mccammon
04-27-2017, 8:29 AM
There is a special operations museum at or near downtown Fayetteville. I don't know if Ft. Bragg offers tours but it is, I believe, the largest in terms of manning US base. If you enjoy cigars JR Cigar has an operation North of there on I-95

Allan Dozier
04-27-2017, 8:50 AM
Ha, I will refrain from most of the Fayettenam jokes but no one I know here in NC goes to Fayetteville unless they are called to report for duty. If you are a golfer Pinehurst is not far. Unless you know someone with a boat or canoe there is no good way to fish the Cape Fear River. Kidding aside, there are probably some local points of interest you can get from the visitor's center or C of C

Josh Doran
04-27-2017, 11:04 AM
I'd recommend Pittsboro, NC. Its home to Roy Underhill's woodwright school. He welcomes visitors to come see classes in session and Ed sells antique hand tools upstairs. Even if you're not into handtools, its worth meeting Roy. Check out their website to see what classes are scheduled while your there.

Warren Lake
04-27-2017, 11:16 AM
been to New Bern several times and walked around there. Lots of nice woodworking on the homes something we dont see up here. Know its too far but that Biltmore estate in Ashville is a mind warp and takes craftsmanship to an off the map level.

John K Jordan
04-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Do any woodturning? Frank Penta is not far, near Chapel Hill. One evening a week he has an open-shop session.

JKJ

chase standifer
04-27-2017, 9:28 PM
Nothing woodworking related here in Fayetteville, pretty much have to drive to Raleigh for so much as a Woodcraft. The Airborne and Special Operations Museum is worth a visit. The 82nd Airborne Museum on base is also pretty good. You can get on base through the visitor center on All American Expressway with a driver's license, vehicle registration, and insurance. There are some pretty good restaurants downtown.

Bruce Wrenn
05-04-2017, 9:10 PM
Third Tuesday night of the month, Triangle Woodworkers meets at Klingspor's on Capital Blvd in Raleigh, 7:30 PM. You might want to go over to NC Woodworker and ask around. They have members in Fayetteville area. Do you know your dates? If you happen to be here on May 20th, NC Woodworker is having annual picnic at Jordon Lake. Don't worry about bringing anything, just come! You can PM me for details.