PDA

View Full Version : Computer help - Transferring E-mails to new computer

Jim DeLaney
10-20-2005, 1:46 PM
I thought this had been addressed here a while ago, but I couldn't find it with "search."

Just bought a new computer. I have quite a few saved e-mails (in Outlook Express) on the old one that I'd like to transfer to the new one.

How can I do this so that they'll show up in the "Saved" folder in Outlook Express on the new computer?

TIA for the help!

Bruce Volden
10-20-2005, 2:22 PM
Jim, You should be able to select any or all addresses you wish to bring to the other machine and copy them to a "floppy" and then on the new machine import them into your outlook program. Bruce

Dan Mages
10-20-2005, 2:27 PM
Jim. Do you have your old and new computers set up on a home network with file sharing? That will make things easier. If not, you need to find the database file with your emails (.pst, I think) and copy it to a CD or DVD. You will then need to start the import wizard in Outlook express and viola! your email will be on the new computer. It is easier than it looks.

On another note, I reccomend you look into Mozilla's Thunderbird email client. I find it to be easier to use than Outlook express. It also has an import function to bring in your old outlook email.

Good luck!

Dan

Loy Hawes
10-20-2005, 2:41 PM
http://www.iopus.com/guides/oe-backup.htm

Jim O'Dell
10-20-2005, 2:54 PM
The easiest way is to forward the messages to yourself, although it might take some time if there are a bunch of them, of if some are big. I don't use Outlook Express, but most programs have a forward all button. Just be sure to not ask for new emails before the new computer is plugged in to accept them. In fact, I'd hook the new one up and test to make sure your e-mail account is loaded and receiving before doing this. DAMHIKT!!!! Jim.

Steve Clardy
10-20-2005, 3:20 PM
I created a folder in my documents. Saved emails.
Then open each email, save to that folder.

Jim DeLaney
10-20-2005, 3:30 PM
http://www.iopus.com/guides/oe-backup.htm

Loy,
Thanks. That was exactly the info I needed.

FWIW, I already knew how to save and move the address books. It was my 'archive' of saved messages that needed to save/transfer. Your referenced guide thold me all I needed to know about that.

Thanks again!

Loy Hawes
10-21-2005, 3:36 AM
Glad that link worked out for you Jim!