PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw Recommendation?

Jon Nuckles
04-25-2017, 3:42 PM
I have a bad jigsaw, which has been okay because I rarely had to use it. I will need to use a jigsaw for an upcoming project and want something that works well. It needs make clean and square cuts in sheet goods, and it would be nice if it could also cut hardwoods of at least one inch thick. I prefer a barrel grip and have no need for cordless.
I've read a lot of old threads here, and know I missed the golden years of good and affordable Bosch jigsaws. From the slightly more recent discussions, it looks like the Bosch JS572EB (at $265 new, subject to some discount offers) may still be a good saw. The Festool Carvex is another $100 above that and is not really in the running for me.
Any opinions on the Bosch JS572EB?
Anything positive to say about the cheaper Bosch JS470EB? (I haven't heard much good about it.)
Any suggestions for other choices that don't cost more than $250?
Thanks for your help!

Cary Falk
04-25-2017, 3:49 PM
There is a Bosch 1591 that looks in good shape on Ebay. I bought a 1590 on Ebay and found another one in a pawn shop. I am happy with both.

julian abram
04-25-2017, 4:19 PM
I have a Bosch 1590evs that has been great, not sure if they still make that exact model. One nice little extra, it came with a 12' power cord, not sure you will see that with other brands.

Edwin Santos
04-25-2017, 4:56 PM
Hi,
I have the JS572EB, and it's a beautiful tool. For years I had the 1587EVS top handle which is very good also, but I always wanted a barrel grip. Makita make a very nice barrel grip jigsaw, but I don't think it is quite the same class as the Bosch JS572EBL.

Todd Davidson
04-25-2017, 9:00 PM
I also have the venerated Bosch 1591 barrel grip (no longer made but frequently pop up on ebay). When I needed another jigsaw - and wanted to stick with a barrel grip) I considered a used 1591 (from ebay) and the Bosch JS470EB but opted for the Makita 4351FCT (in part due to how well my Makita 18V cordless jigsaw has performed). I find the Makita every bit as good as the Bosch 1591 (and like the slightly smaller body better).

Jim Dwight
04-26-2017, 8:49 PM
I don't know what model I would get but I would get a Bosch. I would consider a battery powered model too. With modern lithium ion batteries it should work well. I have a Ryobi that isn't a great tool but has plenty of power. My barrel grip is probably a 1591 - it is older. I have the aluminum table for it too. Bosch jig saws have more accessories available than even Festool.

Bryan Lisowski
04-27-2017, 9:09 AM
I have the Festool Trion, which I like better than the carvex. The carvex has more accessories, but I wouldn't use most of them. I hated jigsaws until I bought the barrel grip Festool, now I will use for almost any cut within reason.

Robert Chapman
04-27-2017, 9:35 AM
I have the Bosch 1591 [corded] and the JS120OBN [12V battery]. The 1591 is great, the JS120 is under powered and one of the few Bosch tools I am not happy with. I use the 1591 mainly to cut rough cut 13/16 hardwood prior to jointing/planning. The JS120 really struggles to get through hardwood that thick - no problem with the 1591.

Von Bickley
04-27-2017, 10:15 AM
Bosch......

Jon Nuckles
04-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I was unaware of the Festool Trion and had not looked at the Makita. I tried to check out the Makita at my local Home Depot, but none of the local stores stock the barrel grip model. Amazon also sells that model (FCT), but says it has been replaced by a newer model (FCTJ) that they do not sell. Odd. Although it is tempting to try my first Festool for the same price, I will likely get the Bosch that many recommend. Thanks again!

glenn bradley
04-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Another Bosch 1591 here. I would seek out a used or refurbed 159X. As far as I'm concerned all Bosch had to do was just keep making those. Others will have other opinions.

Jim Finn
04-27-2017, 6:49 PM
I have a Bosch 470EB and like it. It has a barrel grip and variable speed. I bought a, like new, refurbished one for $150 three years ago and still works well The only downside for me is that it is quite heavy.

Greg R Bradley
04-27-2017, 10:08 PM
Just giving a brand name like "Bosch" is a bit misleading. Bosch makes saws that are junk all the way to excellent. Bosch made some really well made saws without the great blade guides like the 1587 - great quality but no great blade control. They made the similar well made saws with the great blade guide such as the 1590/1591, barrel grip and the D handle being the difference between those two. They currently make the low end junk, the better made but no blade control JS470 and the actual replacement for the 1590/1591, which is the JS572 - now a bunch more money than the 1590/1591
I have a 1587 I don't use - it was fine in its day but the 1590/1591 is far superior in every way. I have 1590 and 1591 that I do as I like the trigger speed control of the D-handle but the barrel works better for some things. I have a Trion that was a gift that is better than the 1589/1591 in some ways and inferior in others. I've played with a Carvex and agree it is a poor tool from a great company. At least the current poor ones are better than the early ones that seemed to be complete junk.
In the current time, I would buy a used 1590/1591 or a new JS572. I'm not aware of a current Makita that has a decent blade guide but haven't looked for a couple years so maybe they do. It just amazes me that people would use a jigsaw that doesn't have a blade guide.

Phillip Mitchell
04-27-2017, 11:14 PM
I guess it depends on what you find yourself needing a jigsaw for, but personally I really like my JS470EB and it's nearly half the price of the JS572. I'm sure the 572 is a newer and nicer saw with more features, but the 470 does everything I need a jigsaw to do perfectly fine. I bought it last year sometime new for just under $150.

If I had a $250-300 budget for a jigsaw then I would probably get 2. One barrel grip and one D handle, but I use jigsaws for both woodworking and carpentry where both handles have their places. I didn't have that budget, so I chose the 470 and am happy with it. Good control, visibility, power and feel when using the saw.

Vince Shriver
04-27-2017, 11:31 PM
15XX, corded with D-handle above. Great tool, but I think I'd rather have the barrel instead.

andy bessette
04-27-2017, 11:48 PM
Been using Bosch top handle saber saws for decades. Top notch.

Sam Blasco
04-28-2017, 5:43 PM
I've got three 1591 saws. One in the shop, one in a shed at the house, and one for the road kit. You couldn't really go wrong with good jigsaw. I also have a Mafell at the shop, but that is a whole and other animal (every time I use it I'm impressed and have to smile, and I am not impressed easily).

Osvaldo Cristo
04-28-2017, 8:44 PM
Recently I replaced my old Bosch jigsaw purchased almost 30 years ago for a newer model Bosch GST 90BE. It is D-handled but its barrel grip version is GST 90E.

I am very glad with it: the variable speed really made difference (that was the main reason I replaced my older model) and the orbital mode is nice to have but the highest hot point for me is that thing really cut clean and mainly squared! It is the very first time I found an affordable jigsaw cutting consistently square.

I strongly recommend it.