PDA

View Full Version : Battery operated string trimmer

John Terefenko
04-25-2017, 12:03 AM
Looking for a battery operated string trimmer that is good quality and reliable. If you have one, what brand, battery size, battery life, charge rate, cut size, one string or 2, price and place to buy, plus model number. Thanks in advance.

Justin Ludwig
04-25-2017, 7:29 AM
Buy a FlexVolt from Dewalt (https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCST970X1-FLEXVOLT-Trimmer-battery/dp/B01MZAEN8C). Then you can start amassing Flexvolt tools. If I were in the market, that's my purchase.

Malcolm McLeod
04-25-2017, 7:55 AM
EGO 56V from the BORG; its been very user friendly and great endurance on 1.5 acres. Battery lasts ~45minutes; full charge from zero is ~30 minutes; ~16"-18" (?) dia. cut; 2 string; @Borg. (There was a similar thread just a few days ago...? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?253906-Cordless-Lawn-tools))

I used Ryobi 1+ trimmer for some years to maintain battery compatibility with my shop cordless tools, but I believe the long duty cycle of the trimmer is what destroyed several batteries.

Don Orr
04-25-2017, 10:21 AM
I have the Kobalt 40v trimmer and really like it. Not heavy, runs about 30-40 mins on full charge, recharges quickly. I have 3 batteries and the chainsaw as well. Uses .065 string/2 strings. Preloaded spools available. It's the Lowe's brand. Sells around $179 or less on sale. I paid $149 I think and free spare battery. It even breaks down into 2 sections easily. Mine is the older version-there is a newer one out now, very similar.

Dan Friedrichs
04-25-2017, 6:12 PM
I just bought one of the new Makita LXT ones, and it's VERY impressive. If you happen to already own any of the Makita LXT tools, this uses the same batteries.

Brian Elfert
04-26-2017, 7:22 PM
I think the idea of not buying a system that is compatible with the batteries for your cordless tools is a good one. Yard tools tend to discharge batteries pretty heavily. I was considering the Makita LXT trimmer last fall and can't recall exactly why I went with the EGO Power Plus trimmer instead.

My next purchase will probably be a pole saw. The EGO model is $250 without battery or charger. The Ryobi is $140 with an 18 volt battery. If I roasted my other two Ryobi batteries I could buy new batteries for $100 and still be ahead. It might make sense just to rent a pole saw for as often as I would use it.