PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't It Be Easier If I Take My Clothes Off?

Bruce Wrenn
04-23-2017, 9:51 PM
Last Thursday, wife and I were to fly to Baton Rouge for BIL's birthday, and to see SIL who had knee replacement done. I packed two bags of biscuit mix and a pack of country ham in my suit case. Told TSA about them and asked if I needed to remove them. (They ARE NOT on prohibited list!) Scanner said they needed to open suit case, which I didn't mind. Little wand when rubbed over biscuit mix came back positive, so I had to consent to a full body search, including shoes. First they x-rayed my shoes (again as they had done them earlier when in line.) Then they had to "test them." All results were clear, but still had to do full body search, which took several minutes. Finally I asked scanner "Wouldn't be easier if I just took my clothes off?" They cleared me, but I reminded them that I needed my shoes back. Took them a couple minutes to figure where they had put my shoes. Last time I took biscuit mix, scanner said that was the brand she used, and we went right thru. One airport TSA is over careful, and return flights from another TSA is a joke. Oh yeah, we didn't make flight as wife became SICK while waiting to board. When you are SICK, they don't want you on their aircraft. Come back another day!

Mike Henderson
04-23-2017, 11:20 PM
When I go home to New Orleans, I often buy andouille sausage at Jacobs in LaPlace. I get my BIL to freeze the sausage and then place them in the middle of my (checked) suitcase to insulate them.

Last time, when I got home, I had a note in my suitcase saying that the TSA had opened my suitcase. I suppose that sausage looked suspicious on the X-ray.:)

The airport is in Metairie which is fairly close to LaPlace so they should be accustomed to people buying andouille.

Mike

Jim Andrew
04-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Has the TSA and all these inspections actually prevented any terrorist bombings etc?

Malcolm McLeod
04-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Has the TSA and all these inspections actually prevented any terrorist bombings etc?

You cannot prove a negative.

glenn bradley
04-27-2017, 12:34 PM
My favorite experience involved a 12-pak of a soda (that LOML had me haul to her when I went to that area) and a wind-up microwave carousel (remember those?). I think the 12-pak stuffed in my checked bag caught there eye but, when the microwave carousel started ticking, they called me over for a conversation.

Mark Blatter
04-27-2017, 4:38 PM
I flew a few monthes after 9/11. Everything was still pretty touchy and folks were jumpy. Going through security, I had to remove a pair of small scizzors and a fingernail clipper set and throw them away. The line going to security had a poster with all of the prohibited items listed. These items were no on the list. I asked a guy working security why I couldn't take them on the plane and he said they are on the prohibited list. I pointed to the sign and said 'no, they aren't.' He said the list had been updated, so I asked if I could see the list or get a copy as I didn't like throwing stuff out. He said the list was classified and he couldn't share it with me.

Huh.

Bruce Wrenn
04-27-2017, 9:25 PM
As for the nail clippers, just go into airport shops (past TSA) and buy some. Don't walk thru grass that has fertilizer applied in the last week or so. My replacement knees always get me the deluxe treatment, even though I'm in precheck / handicap line with handicap card for vehicle with me. Even take registration card to show that it belongs to me.

Art Mann
04-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Security searches would be much more effective and easier on the customers too if they employed profiling like the rest of the world rather than doing random searches and prohibiting things like shampoo bottles.

Brice Rogers
04-27-2017, 11:10 PM
Surprisingly, the "signature" of sausage is very similar to some of the explosives. I think that they use multiple wavelength X-rays and the composition, density and nitrogen content is similar. So while it may be a PITA for your suitcase to be opened and checked, there is some scientific basis for it.

Although it irritates me, I go with the flow - - these folks are only trying to protect us.

Matt Marsh
04-28-2017, 8:51 AM

I'm an advanced amateur photographer, and usually travel with a backpack camera case full of expensive gear that just falls under the size limit for carry-ons. Lots of curly cords and doo-dads, so if the TSA agent is not into photography, they don't know what they do or what they are for. The rocket blower almost always catches their attention. Everything, including my body normally gets rubbed down, and usually lots of questions asked. I'm totally fine with all of it.