PDA

View Full Version : Old Barn Conversion

John Branam
10-20-2005, 9:21 AM
Has anyone here at the creek renovated a barn and turned it into a workshop? My wife and I are looking at a house with some nice acreage and it also has a 60'x40' barn with loft on the property that currently houses a couple of horses. I have not seen this barn yet (going on Friday) I just want to get an idea of some obstacles you may have encountered. And since I have not seen it yet lets assume that this barn has no electricity running to it and no water running to it andgo from there. One of the main reasons we are looking at this is for shop space for me and the kicker is it is her idea. She amazes me sometimes.

Niels J. Larsen
10-20-2005, 9:34 AM
Has anyone here at the creek renovated a barn and turned it into a workshop? My wife and I are looking at a house with some nice acreage and it also has a 60'x40' barn with loft on the property that currently houses a couple of horses. I have not seen this ban yet (going on Friday) I just want to get an idea of some obstacles you may have encountered. And since I have nt seen it yet lets assume that this barn has no electricity running to it and no water running to it andgo from there. One of the main reasons we are looking at this is for shop space for me and the kicker is it is her idea. She amazes me sometimes.

Well, I don't have any suggestions to the barn - but apparantly you must've done something right! :D

Don't forget to buy a bunch of flowers for her when you have the chance - it's something that's vastly overlooked :D

Why do I say this ? Well look at these commercials from a Danish flower company: (the text that appears as the punchline translates to: "Remember what flowers can do!")

http://www.interflora.dk/annoncer/reklamefilm/new/hangover_dk_done_256k.wmv

http://www.interflora.dk/annoncer/reklamefilm/new/headache_dk_done_256k.wmv

Enjoy!

/Niels

Andy Hoyt
10-20-2005, 9:42 AM
John - Just two years ago I converted the second floor of our three floor barn (built in 1905) into a dedicated workshop. Totally gutted the entire thing right down to the framing and had at it.

It was a fabulous experience, and I learned something interesting about myself during the process. I'm more happy working on shop related stuff than I am working on stuff that will ultimately leave the shop.

Oh and one more thing - Spending lots and lots of money is fun:D

Here are some pics for you to ponder

John Branam
10-20-2005, 1:52 PM
Is your barn heated and/or cooled?

Bob Oehler
10-20-2005, 2:05 PM
1st move the horses out they will make a mess of the shop:rolleyes:

every barn is different but 10 bucks says there is running water in the barn. 2 horses can drink 50+ gallons a day in the summer

Let's see some pics

good luck with the purchase.

Bob Oehler

Paul Spiegel
10-20-2005, 6:56 PM
John - I've been a lurker for quite a while, but your thread has prompted me to actually post. The pictures here are of my barn, and how I carved out some space for a dedicated shop. Barns are usually too large and too drafty to make into a shop, without first enclosing some space with insulation. The area I created is 24' x 36', with 11' ceilings. It's much more finished than these pictures show, but you get the idea. I ran 100amp service, and wired for 120v and 220v. The finished space is about 1 year old now. Last winter (Pennsylvania) I heated it with a torpedo heater and regular kerosene heater. I'd run the torpedo for about 10-15 minutes to bring it up to about 60-65 F, and the little heater would hold it there for most of the day. If your barn floors are like mine, they are 2" oak boards with gaps between. I shoved mortar in all the gaps in order to close off the air. Also put R11 on the walls. The ceiling is just a 1" insulation board with foil. Was going to do more, but based on last winter, it's doing a pretty good job.

Good luck with your barn project.

Paul

Doug Shepard
10-20-2005, 7:21 PM
I'm not sure if he's turning it into a workshop, and I had to do a search to recall who had a barn project going on but finally found it. If he doesn't chime in, you might want to PM Lynn Kasdorf. Here's one of his barn threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18353

Dan Larson
10-20-2005, 7:23 PM
Paul,

Welcome to SMC! Thanks for your post-- you've carved out some really nice shop space in your barn.

Niels,

Those commercials are pretty amusing. I thought the second one was especially funny!

Dan

Don Baer
10-20-2005, 7:36 PM
Pual,
Welcome to the creek. Now lets see some pix of the shop with machines in it and some more pix of your projects.

Niels J. Larsen
10-21-2005, 2:09 AM
Niels,

Those commercials are pretty amusing. I thought the second one was especially funny!

Dan

Oh you did huh ? :D

Show it to the LOYL and see what she thinks :D

/Niels

Dev Emch
10-21-2005, 2:49 AM
My buddy Craig did exactly this. He has one unsual shop where he restores hit and miss engines....

www.antique-engine.com

This was an old barn that was gutted and rebuilt. Now its a cool place to work on toys.