PDA

View Full Version : Broke a blade on the Bandsaw today... KAPOW!!

Gary Chester
04-23-2017, 5:19 PM
Broke a blade and it was pretty exciting!!:eek:
I'd been cutting some green Black Locust and just getting ready to start on the last log. I walked around the back of the saw while it was running and BANG!!
I can't remember if I've broken a blade before but if I did it was on the little 14" Delta and it wasn't much to talk about. This was a 1" blade on my MM16 (Late gloat).
As you can see in the pics it got pretty bent up... is this normal? It looks like the break happened just as it was nearing the top wheel and went straight up and jammed in the top corner and the inertia bent the rest of it.
Another bit of respect for big tools has been gained...

Nick Decker
04-23-2017, 5:37 PM
Photo link no workie.

Gary Chester
04-23-2017, 5:53 PM
Fixed... I think...

jerry cousins
04-23-2017, 6:41 PM
couple of years ago i did that on the same saw and same blade. VERY XCITING. not sure where it broke but glad the doors were closed and the blade guard was down.
jerry

Bill Dufour
04-24-2017, 1:01 AM
I was told that after a big flood one of the redwood saw mills in northern California got flooded. This caused some bandsaw blades to be tied up in knots in the basement. since these were big blades like 1X50 Feet the only safe things was to pour concrete over them.
Bill D.

lowell holmes
04-24-2017, 9:07 AM
We tend to take our band saw's casually, I do on occasion. There is a lot of energy in those blades with all the teeth.

I think one of the worst things to do is to get your fingers too close to the blade. I've experienced the blade coming off.
I've also experienced the bottom guide falling off.

I've become a bit fearful of it, just enough to be careful.

Jim Becker
04-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Yea...that's sometimes very much an "underwear changing" experience when a blade lets go!

Sam Blasco
04-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Happened to me a a tradeshow one time many years ago, demonstrating that same saw. Never saw so many folks, who didn't look like regular runners, run away so fluidly. I thought someone had shot at me! and I tucked and rolled.:cool:

Kelly Cleveland
04-25-2017, 7:21 PM
I also had my first ever blade snap yesterday. 1/4" blade on my 14" jet. It was a pretty new blade and it broke right on the weld.