PDA

View Full Version : Experimentation

Chris Barton
10-20-2005, 9:12 AM
Hi Folks,

Well, never let it be said that I wait too long to get moving on a project. Attached are a couple of pictures of my latest efforts, a vase of Ambrosia Maple tinted with TransTint Honey Amber and Reddish Brown dyes as well as a Malee Burl bowl. The Vase is about 9" tall and the Malee Burl bowl is about 5" tall. The bowl is from a piece of burl that John Hart got for me and I just received it yesterday about 2 hours before it became a victim of the PM3520a and some sharp HSS. The finish on both is lacquer and a few passes through the Beal system. I chose to tint the vase since the maple was a bit gray in tint and really didn't look that good in its natural state, kind of like a mutant bowling pin missing its head. I may paint the inside of it with some color paint to experiment a bit.

Thanks for looking...

Michael Stafford
10-20-2005, 9:35 AM
Gee golly whiz, both of those are very nice. The vahse has a wonderful shape and color, nicely done, Chris! I have done some dyeing but not with any turnings yet. The malee burl bowl is terrific, great shape and finish. I have never turned or worked with that wood. I will have to add it to my "wanna do" list.

Good work, and good pictures. The curly ambrosia maple surface you are photographing on ain't half bad either....;)

Dick Parr
10-20-2005, 7:59 PM
Great job on both of them Chris. I really love the burl.;)

John Hart
10-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Wow...you dont mess around do you? Nice job on both Chris. I really like the way the Mallee turned out. I haven't tried a NE yet...but soon perhaps. Still got some learnin' to do.
As far as painting the inside of the maple...are you thinking some kind of opaque enamel or something transparent? Both would be great...just wonderin'.

Ernie Nyvall
10-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Nice work Chris. I really like the wood in the burl bowl (say that three times real fast). Beautiful stuff.

Ernie

Jeff Sudmeier
10-21-2005, 8:28 AM
Chris, I am also partial to the burl bowl, but it was a great idea to tint the maple vessel too!!

Glenn Hodges
10-21-2005, 9:14 AM
Chris, I seldom use dyes, but have wished I had because of a bland piece of wood could have been inhanced and improved. Your use of it did not overpower this piece, and I really like the color you choose.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-21-2005, 4:28 PM
Looks like two "KEEPER" experiences to me!

Bruce