PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Floor Problem

Nelson Hack
10-20-2005, 9:06 AM
Three years ago I built a workshop. I poured a concrete slab floor and sealed it. I then painted it with a porch and floor paint. This last year the floor has become sticky and paint soft. What should be done and what would be the best solution for a floor in this shop.

Joe Pelonio
10-20-2005, 9:36 AM
Did you check that the sealer was compatible with the paint? Sometimes paint, especially water based, will not stick to sealer. The best treatment for concrete is epoxy coatings. What a job to scrape off what you have now! You could sandblast, or use a rented wood floor sander, but if you have to work around your equipment I'd suggest a good chemical paint remover and a long handled scraper, and probably acetone before the new coating, and be sure to have ventilation and personal respiratory & eye protection.

Nelson Hack
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Thank you Joe,
I have moved everything to one end or out of the shop so I can do one end at a time. I have started with the chemical paint remover and scraper. I have bought an epoxy coating that comes with a concrete wash that contains muriatic acid.
I don’t know about acetone. Will it help remove the old sealer? With the acid wash will I still need the acetone?
As stated I have started the job but stopped before being disappointed again wondering if I should consider some kind of a covering instead?<O:p></O:p>

</PRE>

Joe Pelonio
10-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Your acid wash should do the same as acetone would. Muriatic acid is a diluted hydrochloric acid and still requires safety measures, but hopefully it will remove enough of the remaining sealer to let the epoxy stick. Good luck.