PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sign projects they have made?

George Bokros
04-22-2017, 6:04 PM
Does anyone sign the projects they make? Such as:

Crafted by:

Date:

Wood species:

Finish:

If so how do you do it? I am thinking so prepare it on a 3 x 5 card and attach it with sheet laminating film, will it adhere to the poly finish and stay laminated to it?

Thanks

Andrew Hughes
04-22-2017, 7:17 PM
Nope not me.
No one wants to pay for my signature and they are not getting it for free.
plus I can recognize my work so no need to write my name on it like my mom did with my jackets.:)

Ralph Okonieski
04-22-2017, 7:30 PM
I use a branding iron that has my name on it. Some I have dated, some not. All my items were made for family. I woodwork for fun, not profit so my reason for branding is simply for family history.

Mike Henderson
04-22-2017, 7:46 PM
I just got a branding iron with my name. In the past, I signed my work with a felt tip pen.

Just name and date.

Mike

Lee Schierer
04-22-2017, 9:12 PM
I have a branding iron with my name on it and I also embed a penny of the current year on the back or out of sight area next to the brand. Everyone that gets something I have made really like the idea of the penny.

Frederick Skelly
04-22-2017, 9:40 PM
I sign and date with a felt pen.

Jerry Wright
04-22-2017, 9:48 PM
I have some laser engraved 1.25" dia. wood discs which I sign, date and sink in a fbh on back, bottom, or inside of project. Disc has name and logo.

Paul K. Johnson
04-23-2017, 9:11 AM
I'm not big into self-promotion. I try to stay low-key. I will sign work if the person it's for asks me to but that's about it.

Jim Andrew
04-23-2017, 9:29 AM
I only sign pieces made for my family. Built a chest for a baby nephew coming soon, signed the back of a drawer and dated with a sharpie.

Jim Becker
04-23-2017, 10:11 AM
I have an electric "wood burning" iron stamp I use to mark projects. I should also date, them but usually forget...

Ellen Benkin
04-23-2017, 10:41 AM
I always sign and date with a felt tip pen. I'm proud of my work.

Chris Fournier
04-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Every piece.

David Utterback
04-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Started signing after being strongly encouraged by a couple of recipient relatives. Now have branding iron. I have not sold any pieces, though.

Charles Lent
04-23-2017, 1:46 PM
I have added my name and date with a Sharpie marking pen on some, but don't sign most. I frequently leave DNA in the form of a small blood stain on many though.
Does this count? I sand off any that show, but usually leave the ones on the back or inside. I bleed easy, so the tiniest splinter is all that it takes.

Charley

jerry cousins
04-23-2017, 6:45 PM
i use lots of exotics - especially with the marquetry projects - have always just used an avery shipping label with logo - listing of woods, signature and date. usually stuck on the bottom of a drawer or bottom of a box.
haven't heard of any peeling off.
jerry

John TenEyck
04-23-2017, 6:55 PM
Every piece, name, city, and date only. Some of my pieces will outlive me by many decades, maybe more. I'd like people to know who made them.

John

Art Mann
04-23-2017, 7:45 PM
I have a rubber ink stamp with my company name on it that I occasionally use.

Rod Sheridan
04-24-2017, 7:59 AM
I apply my name with a branding iron......Rod.

Pete Staehling
04-24-2017, 8:23 AM
I only sign the musical instruments that I sell. The laser printed label has the company name, the model name, a serial number that includes an obvious year, and my initials in pencil.

Barry McFadden
04-24-2017, 2:09 PM
I have a branding iron with my name on it and I also embed a penny of the current year on the back or out of sight area next to the brand. Everyone that gets something I have made really like the idea of the penny.

Nice idea.... but they took away our pennies up here!!!!

John T Barker
04-24-2017, 11:52 PM
A past employer usually encouraged it and I usually did it on any "good" piece I made after leaving that outfit. Had an F.B.I. agent contact me once about a piece and he knew to call me because of the signature. Spooky.

Brent Ring
04-25-2017, 5:07 PM
We just ordered one with our logo. Excited to use it!

Tom Giacomo
04-25-2017, 7:57 PM
My stuff is so bad I sign someone else's name.

Roger Marty
04-26-2017, 12:15 AM
My stuff is so bad I sign someone else's name.

It is very rare that I laugh out loud. Thank you.

roger wiegand
04-26-2017, 10:04 AM
On a piece that I think might outlast me I sign, date, and note my city and state in pencil in an unobtrusive place, like on the bottom, underneath a drawer, or whatever. You'd have to be looking for markings to find it in most cases. I've often wondered about old pieces I've found, so I do it just in case someone in the future cares enough to go looking.

Andrew Gibson
04-26-2017, 12:06 PM
I sign and date with year most everything I make, and I do sell a lot of my work. For me it comes down to the fact that I have a few things that belonged to ancestors and they are very sentimental. If I were to have something that I know they had made with there own hands it would only add to its personal value.
If your going to take the time to make something you should make something your willing to sign and date. If nothing more it is a way to measure your progression as a craftsman.
I sign, date with year, and number my instruments. Signature on the inside of the top, year and serial number on the label inside.

Kelly Klaas
04-26-2017, 7:40 PM
I have a brand with my name and city/town where I live. I also sign and date the item. They are custom made/engraved boxes. I put the into on the bottom of the box. I also make brass/wood telegraph keys for the ham radio community. I Sign and date those too. Not a big deal now but down the road it will help to locate where the item came from.