PDA

View Full Version : How to remove smell of engraved wood from finished piece?

paul simonson
04-22-2017, 8:49 AM
I engrave fairly large areas of wood for signs I am making. The smell of burnt wood on the actual piece itself is fairly strong, like if you move the finished piece to another room then that room will soon be noticeably full of burnt wood odour.

I have used acetone and even baby wipes in the past to remove the smell by wiping over the piece but the moisture from both affects the grain (raising it) and darkening it in a slight splotchy affect. Neither is good.

Can anyone recommend anything else? I'm thinking of trying a strong fan pointed at the piece next....

(the smell fades naturally in about 48 hours but I would prefer to not have to wait 48 hours to give it to my customer)

Gary Hair
04-22-2017, 9:50 AM
I'm amazed at how many of my customers actually like the smell!

Lee DeRaud
04-22-2017, 10:08 AM
I'm amazed at how many of my customers actually like the smell!What he said.

If there are large engraved areas, the possibility of soot rubbing off is usually more of a problem, so I usually seal it with a quick spray of shellac anyway.

John Lifer
04-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Don't Wait!

Robin Powlus
04-23-2017, 7:04 AM
I apply a coat of Wipe on Poly. It's a thin, foolproof finish.

paul simonson
04-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Just a polite bump and a re-request that if anyone has any ideas to remove the smell from engraved wood, not using water based methods, I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Frederick Skelly
04-23-2017, 10:07 AM
What he said.

If there are large engraved areas, the possibility of soot rubbing off is usually more of a problem, so I usually seal it with a quick spray of shellac anyway.

+1 for shellac.

Bill George
04-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Just a polite bump and a re-request that if anyone has any ideas to remove the smell from engraved wood, not using water based methods, I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Shellac is not water based, neither is most Poly. I just seal with spray on lacquer. or plan B tell the customer smell will go away in a few days.

Kev Williams
04-23-2017, 12:34 PM
vacuum cleaner & brush attachment- run it over the surface and suck up the soot that's causing the smell...

John Lifer
04-23-2017, 1:57 PM
Again, have you had a complaint from a customer? ANY coating will change the look, Kev's advice is best unless you want to make your work look different. Otherwise, fergit and sell it!

paul simonson
04-23-2017, 2:37 PM
vacuum cleaner & brush attachment- run it over the surface and suck up the soot that's causing the smell...

Thanks Kev for your useful reply that was relevant to my original question :)

Bill George
04-23-2017, 3:03 PM
You will find relevant or not part of the burnt smell is embedded in the wood that is burnt. Coating is the fastest and most sure method.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-23-2017, 5:00 PM
I'm with John Lifer on this. I sell a lot of wood-related products and I receive quite a few positive comments on the scent of the wood. They usually make some sort of reference on how this must have "just been made for them" and they like that personal touch.

What you don't mention is what type of wood you are using and if you are using any products on it before or after engraving. Perhaps if you provide more details about the wood itself, we might be able to offer more useful answers for you.

John Lifer
04-23-2017, 5:49 PM
Look, I'm a woodworker that has lasers. I Love the smell of wood, I love the smell of cedar. But I can't hardly work it as the smell is overpowering and tends to be just too much while I work with it. But once done, and a couple of days later it just smells great. Somewhat of the same thing, my room stinks after running a lot of wood, but each piece isn't bad taken by itself......
Take the advice you've been given. Do with it what you want. There is nothing you can really do to eliminate the smell entirely without time or changing the look.