PDA

View Full Version : Seymour Work Table reproduction

Rob Millard
10-20-2005, 6:37 AM
This is a copy of an original Work Table attributed to the shop of John and Thomas Seymour. I worked from the photo and description of catalog entry 80 in the Mussey book The Furniture Masterworks of John and Thomas Seymour ( the photo of the table along with several others in book were printed in reverse) The piece measures 29 ½” high, 19 ¾” wide, 15 ¾” deep. It is made of Mahogany, Satinwood, Pine, Ebony, Burl Veneer, She Oak, and Jabota. The description of the original said the drawer sides and bag slide, were made from an unidentified dense tropical hardwood, so I picked Jabota for its pleasing color,density and to me it was an unidentified hardwood, because I'd never heard of it before.
The mahogany was colored with lime and water, followed by some yellow dye to warm the color. The top was finished with varnish. The remainder of the table was finished with a coat of de-waxed dark shellac, followed by several coats of super blond shellac. The drawers are lined with light blue paper. The hardware is from Londonderry Brasses.
Rob Millard

Ken Fitzgerald
10-20-2005, 7:23 AM
WOW! I like the intricate details...inlay.....everything about it!

Alan Turner
10-20-2005, 7:23 AM
Wonderful work. Did you flute the legs with a scraper and a bit of carving? Was this a commission? Someone is going to be a lucky recepient.

Chris Barton
10-20-2005, 7:27 AM
Rob!

I happen to worship at the alter of the Federal Period and I must say that this is the best single effort at a faithfull reproduction of a Seymour piece I have ever seen. I happen to have the book from which you made you copy plans and I just sat here and compared your work to the picture. And, I am very impressed! The only detail I could not get a really good comparison of would be the top which, in the photo is at an angle and difficult to determine detail.

Please tell me that you have a complete coverpage write up comming on this work in FWW or other magazine! If not, please share all the detail with us online!

Bob Winkler
10-20-2005, 7:33 AM
Stunning! Beautiful work. I feel luckier today for just having seen it.

Bob

John Hart
10-20-2005, 7:35 AM
Just plain awesome Rob!!!:)

Dick Parr
10-20-2005, 7:54 AM
Congratulations on a job well done! Beautiful piece and workmanship:)

John Miliunas
10-20-2005, 8:41 AM
Rob, it's not too often I'm left without words, but you just did it!:eek: Simply beautiful. Awesome degree of craftsmanship. In a word, WOW!!! :) :cool:

Mike Wenzloff
10-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Simply wonderful work, Rob!

Seeing work like this reminds me of why I do this. Thank you!

Mike

Dave Anderson NH
10-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Excellant work Rob. I love the Seymour work and was fortunate enough to get to see the exhibit at the Peabody-Essex twice. Mussey's book resides on one of the end tables in my living room. You did a great job in reproducing that piece.

BTW, I was over at Phil Lowe's yesterday and the next issue of the SAPFM journal coming out next month has a beautiful Seymour dressing table with mirror made by one of his students. I got to see the actual piece under construction last spring and it was an outstanding piece.

Michael Stafford
10-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Rob, that is the kind of woodworking that deserves the title "fine woodworking"! A beautiful piece! Congratulations!:D

Scott Donley
10-20-2005, 1:05 PM
That is simply OUTSTANDING !!

Keith Hooks
10-20-2005, 2:45 PM
Wow... The color and grain pattern is outstanding... just amazing. Excellent job. Thanks for posting!

How did you create the swirl patterns along the tabletop edge? Is that a veneer?

Lars Thomas
10-20-2005, 3:10 PM
Rob, that's some incredible work. Can you enlighten the dumb amoung us . . .what was the 'basket' used for?

I also agree with Chis, for a project like this, you can't just come and drop a handful of completed pixs and run! I'd love to hear more details on construction and see some work-in-progress pixs.

Again, great job. Lars

Chris Barton
10-20-2005, 6:54 PM
If you want to see some more of Rob's exceptional work, go here...

http://www.sapfm.org/sapfmmay2003/gallery/cabinetmakerdb.asp

Don Baer
10-20-2005, 7:59 PM
WOW, simply stunning and to think no electron were hurt during it making...:D

Joe Blankshain
10-20-2005, 8:08 PM
Great work. I am astonished with the level of craftsmanship that the memebers of the forum possess. Humbles us newbees.

Rob Millard
10-20-2005, 8:23 PM
Don,

I just realized that I posted the piece in the hand tool forum. This was a mistake. While I work mostly with hand tools, I do make use of my surface planer, bandsaw, router ( reluctantly) and powered lathe. I apologize for my mistake giving the impression I used only hand tools.
Rob Millard

WOW, simply stunning and to think no electron were hurt during it making...:D

Steve Wargo
10-21-2005, 12:12 AM
With all the hand work involed in the inlay, planing, dovetails, fitting and such...We forgive you. Awsome piece Rob.

Don Baer
10-21-2005, 1:42 AM
Don,

I just realized that I posted the piece in the hand tool forum. This was a mistake. While I work mostly with hand tools, I do make use of my surface planer, bandsaw, router ( reluctantly) and powered lathe. I apologize for my mistake giving the impression I used only hand tools.
Rob Millard

Rob,
No need to apolgise that piece would fit into any place on sawmill creek. I am sure that most nienders slip into using power tools when they are the most appropriate tool. To paraphrase one of my wood working hero's "use the proper tool for the preper job."

That is one BUI-TI FUL piece .

Mark Singer
10-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Rob,
Beautiful proportions ....flawless exexcution...wow!

Michael Gabbay
10-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Rob - That is really a work of art! :) Now all I can say is my stuff really sucks. :D

Jerry Palmer
10-21-2005, 2:04 PM
Wow!!! BEE UUUU TEE FUL.

Maybe I'm displaying my ignorance here, but what would a table like that have been used for? Only thing I come up with is a sewing table but . . .

Great work!

Alex Yeilding
10-21-2005, 3:24 PM
Maybe I'm displaying my ignorance here, but what would a table like that have been used for?

Not ignorance; just willingness to speak up. You speak for others as well! What's the bag for? Intriguing piece, both for the beautiful workmanship and the interesting design.

Chris Barton
10-21-2005, 5:53 PM
More often than not, a work table like this was intended for a woman and the pull out section underneath was to catch sewing scraps and waste.