PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw selection

Chad Barden
04-21-2017, 4:34 PM
Used TS's around my neck of the woods are few and far between and typically way overpriced.

I am currently looking at 2 used saws, if anyone has any input I would be very greatful.

The first is listed for $325 on FB, the owner is moving and can not take it with him.
Ridgid TS3650

The second is a guy that is downsizing, he has 3 TS's, makes cabinets part time. This saw was found via word of mouth, not listed anywhere.
Powermatic Artisan 61a $500 price tag.

I know how much they cost new, neither seems like a "great deal" to me, but I may be way off base with my assumption (hence this post).
I currently use a portacable portable saw, which does not perform for my needs AT ALL. I may be able to negotiate the prices down, I haven't tried yet.

Both saws looks to be in good shape from pictures, I haven't seen either in person. The PM has an ACCU-Fence.

Should I hold out for a used cabinet saw?? Thanks for any input!

Chad Barden
04-21-2017, 4:43 PM
Also I did not see a place for introductions, but I am fairly new to "woodworking" I have general construction experience, but I am learning actual woodworking. I have all the equipment needed less a good table saw. I am a fulltime RN and dad of 2 and I'm going back to school to become a nurse practitioner and live in Northwest Florida.

Adam Herman
04-21-2017, 4:45 PM
I have a 3650. i am perfectly happy with it for now. I picked mine up in nearly new condition from a small hobby shop for $300. the fence is true, the slots are in line with the blade and fence. It locks down square. I don't think the pm is worth 200 more than the ridgid. It is light years better than any portable i have used, including the dewalt.

also, welcome to the Creek.

scott spencer
04-21-2017, 9:03 PM
Both good contractor saws. The PM looks like a PM64a. Both are worth a look and an offer if they check out. Powermatic is the Cadillac name, but in this case its just a nice Taiwanese contractor saw with a good fence, solid wings, and a mobile base. With good setup and good blade selection both can be very serviceable saws.

Chad Barden
04-23-2017, 8:47 AM
I think I am going to wait for a bit, I just got a new jessem router table (traded for a RAS) so I can keep myself distracted for a little while..
My original plan was to get a cabinet saw, but these 2 saws just happened to fall in my lap.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I’ll update as soon as I get something.
Sidenote I called the local shop in town that sells woodworking gear, the person I spoke to wrote my name and # down and will call when they have a used TS come in. They sell SawStop and when people come in to buy a new TS they are typically trying to get rid of their old TS, she said it happens about 3x a month.