PDA

View Full Version : Linear Bearings

Warren Lake
04-21-2017, 3:19 PM
anyone familiar with precision bearings these are on a 3/4" rod and the inside black part that holds the bearings is failing. Do you know for these models if this can be replaced? not wanting to change pillow block size and have to redrill reconfigure things

Malcolm McLeod
04-21-2017, 3:35 PM
http://www.thomsonlinear.com/en/product/SPB12OPN

https://www.motionindustries.com/productDetail.jsp?sku=00002137

https://www.amazon.com/Thomson-continuously-applications-Adjustable-self-aligning/dp/B006MIV3OQ (https://www.amazon.com/Thomson-continuously-applications-Adjustable-self-aligning/dp/B006MIV3OQ)

I don't see any reference to replaceable parts, so guessing it has to be swapped as a unit.

Warren Lake
04-21-2017, 3:48 PM
thanks

ive got as far as it is replaceable, bearings are contained in aluminum, I just forgot to ask how it attaches in the pillow block or did but then had five other questions same time assume there is a set screw.

Brad Shipton
04-21-2017, 4:37 PM
The complete housing and bearing comes as a unit. You will have to remove the end cap at the end of the rail, and then it will roll off. Malcolm has a link to the part you need at Amazon. McMaster Carr has linear bearings too, but you will have to be careful to check the hole spacings and sizes as none of that is standard.

Warren Lake
04-21-2017, 4:42 PM
im told the bearing section comes as a unit and is replaceable seperate from the pillow block. I got in too late to the supplier half an hour away so no price so far

Jerry Bruette
04-21-2017, 5:18 PM
If you're running these in a nasty environment, and yeah wood dust can be nasty, be sure to get the seals for your bearings. You may have to take the housings off of the machine to get the old bearings out. The ones I've worked with have a small pin that goes through the housing and into the outer rim of the bearing. This pin keeps the bearing from sliding out of the housing

Warren Lake
04-21-2017, 6:21 PM
yeah nasty sums it up:) Machine came through a friend think it got a big workout doing large raised panels. There are no seals for those bearings but they do have add on lubricating end caps but not sure that would be good. im getting info on them bit by bit. I think there is an allen screw that pushes the housing on the inner portion will know on the weekend.

Jerry Bruette
04-21-2017, 10:05 PM
You can get seals for those linears, the part # is OPNS750 for standard and OPNS750SS for stainless. Even if you had to get new housings I don't think they are too costly. I don't think I'd be interested in putting any dust gathering grease in them.

Warren Lake
04-21-2017, 10:18 PM
ill look up your parts they told me there were no other seals for those. see there is a seal on them as they come I was thinking some sort of special dust seal like high end table saws have. ill look up your parts. I dont know how the lubricated thing works yet of it grease or what. It wouldnt make sense . these ones run very smooth but had a small hickup that I doubt would register on a cutter head. Maybe even a cleaning would be enough wont know till its apart. Pretty interesting things lots of places they could be.

looked them up yeah just what it came with not an add on extra boot thing. thanks for those numbers if I just have to replace those that would be fine as well. have a nice feel when they are working, havent put a dial on but tried to wiggle stuff and could feel no play but its a different set up as well with two different axis.

Wayne Lomman
04-22-2017, 1:53 AM
If your machine has a history of heavy use, that is why you are having to replace them. You probably won't have to ever again. Linear bearings are precise but don't like continuous heavy loads. It's why my current CNC machine shop has stuck with older machines - the newer machines we have destroy their linear bearings routinely whereas the older slide technology just works and works and works. Cheers

Warren Lake
04-22-2017, 3:23 AM
think they are rated for 1,336 lbs per bearing without looking it up. the load would be minimal on the four, say 40-45 lbs total of metal and whatever piece of wood. There would be more sideways force from the cutterhead would there not, as an example tennon discs which I would think have a fairly large or close to the largest amount of material removal. Thats interesting few auctions back two cnc machines no offers at all, Now im curious what is older with out thinking hard ive probably seen 4 or 5 for sale recently maybe all Biesse.

Wayne Lomman
04-22-2017, 6:44 AM
Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I have gone over to the dark side and oversee a shop full of horizontal and vertical machining centres finishing medium to heavy steel castings. The machines are mostly Okuma and Mazak from the 80s and 90s. The electronics are hilarious by today's standards but the machines are rock solid in a way that newer machines aren't. The new ones are faster but really only like lightweight work otherwise they just break. But as I said, we do steel castings up to 6 tonnes. It is hard on anything. Cheers

Lee Schierer
04-22-2017, 8:02 AM
To protect your bearings from debris you might want to look into telescoping or accordian type way covers for the rails.