PDA

View Full Version : Old and new iron

Dan Oliphant
10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Well, every few weeks I receive an auction notice that some woodworking/furniture manufacturing company is closing it's doors. This latest notice caught my attention due to the recent posts about old iron and the pros/cons of newer equipment manufacturing.

Dev, this is right up your alley, just the wrong side of the country.:D
On the 25th of this month in Chino Ca. the following items will be sold either for rock bottom prices, or for way more than what each item is worth. (I've been to auctions where folks just go nuts!!!)

Oliver model 2506 jointer
Oliver shaper (mod unk)
Rockwell 14" table saw
Lebo MBS model 350
Lebo model SP-30 wood spindle shaper
SCMI model SI-15 table saw
Porter shaper with Holzher stock feeder
Davis & Weels band saw (mod unk)
Rayco RSB boring machine (mod unk)
100's of hand tools
These are just a sampling of what will be sold during this auction.
This place is even auctioning off the sheet stock and hardwoods.

Dev Emch
10-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Hmmmmm...... samo samo.

The oliver jointer appears to be a really modern one from the 70s or 80s. Its not a model #12 so I will pass.

But the oliver shaper perks the ears. I dont like the 285. Its like a router table with a foot operated height control system.

But if its a 287, then that is worth checking out. Now it may be a wide table or a narrow table. It may also be a two spindle model (288). It may have a tapered spindle or a thread on spindle. If its a narrow table (i.e. square table with no outriggers) and it has a taper pin spindle, then that is a shaper for the home shop fir sure! You know if its an aerospace reject? The 287 was used often to shape aluminium.

The rest only make me luke warm.:rolleyes:

Dan Oliphant
10-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Dev,
It appears to be a tapered spindle, no outriggers. There was no indication that any of this equipment was used in another capacity other than this shop.

Gary Sutherland
10-20-2005, 5:32 AM
Dan...

Do you have a link to this auction site?

Thanks...

Gary

lou sansone
10-20-2005, 7:03 AM
hi dan
another old iron guy here. I just went to visit a guy who was selling a scmi si 15 sliding table saw, so I have some fresh memories about it. My current Rockwell RT-40 16" saw is very similar to it. In fact in some ways nicer, and in some ways not as good. I was not impressed with it. I guess if you build a lot of boxes these saws are nice, but the slider is real heavy ( all cast iron and thick) and short ( about 52" ). If you can provide the link I also would just like to take a look at the stuff.

Stuff that comes from the furniture industry can be pretty wooped. my 24" casadei planer ( pretty similar to the SCM in some respects ) was a basket case. Had to replace every single bearing and sprocket in the thing .. motors rebuilt and all the rest. runs great now, but that was a good month of greasy hands.

lou

Dan Oliphant
10-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Gary,
The only link that was on the flier is for the American Auctioneers Group,
www.americanauctioneersgrp.com (http://www.americanauctioneersgrp.com) I don't know too much about them other than they seem to focus on the furniture manufacturing industry.

Lou,
I agree with you that some times the equipment can be trashed by the time it goes to auction. I went to one auction looking at a Powermatic 66 with router and power feeder, the units were quite new and well cared for. They also sold for a grand more than the original cost, a used equipment dealer was buying everthing he could through money at that day.

Lee DeRaud
10-20-2005, 2:54 PM
...a really modern one from the 70s or 80s...I know what you meant, but the first thought that jumped into my head when I read that was that we should start collecting lines like that for a book titled, "You know you're a geezer if...":p :cool: