PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist bargain?

David Sloan
04-20-2017, 10:18 AM
https://images.craigslist.org/00404_gpIffGc5ADU_600x450.jpgNeed a nice jointer? Someone asking $500 for this on our local craiglist! Who says there are no bargains on craigslist!

Larry Komroff
04-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Wish I was closer. That wont last the day!:D

Larry

Geoff Crimmins
04-20-2017, 11:33 AM
I saw a used Rikon 10-325 bandsaw on Craigslist for $1000, so there are bargains everywhere.

Matt Day
04-20-2017, 11:37 AM
$500 craftsman ras's pop up here. Every once in a while I try to talk some sense into them.

Bruce Page
04-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Had a guy a few days ago selling a tiny no name benchtop table saw for $350. It looked like it had sat outdoors in the NM desert for 10 years. He was FIRM! on his price too. :rolleyes:

Mike Berrevoets
04-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Did it say "Vintage"? Because adding the word Vintage to any Craigslist advertisement automatically adds 20% to the value of whatever is being sold.

Or, that is what most sellers of Vintage stuff think.

(Yes, some stuff is vintage but the word seems to be everywhere now)

Adam Herman
04-20-2017, 12:25 PM
if its "mid century" you get to add 30%

I see shaker, deco, and nouveau stuff on CL mis-labeled as mid century. gold cherubs are not "mid century"

Old jointers like that are all over CL here for 3 to 500. its crazy town.

Mike Hollingsworth
04-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Mike and Frank would probably pay more.

Ben Rivel
04-20-2017, 12:36 PM
LOL oh craigslist and the funny people selling tools on it.

William Shelley
04-20-2017, 1:18 PM
$500 craftsman ras's pop up here. Every once in a while I try to talk some sense into them.

My favorite is when people mis-label a RAS as a "table saw".

Chris Hachet
04-20-2017, 1:34 PM
https://images.craigslist.org/00404_gpIffGc5ADU_600x450.jpgNeed a nice jointer? Someone asking $500 for this on our local craiglist! Who says there are no bargains on craigslist!Yes, at $125 it is a bargain...

Jerry Miner
04-20-2017, 2:00 PM
https://images.craigslist.org/00404_gpIffGc5ADU_600x450.jpgNeed a nice jointer? Someone asking $500 for this on our local craiglist! Who says there are no bargains on craigslist!

The stand alone is worth $500.00! They don't make 2 x 4's like that any more!

Cody Jensen
04-20-2017, 2:58 PM
For comparison, there was a 16" Oliver listed for $500 near me a couple months ago. Didn't figure that would play nice in my one stall of a garage workshop though.

Bob Vaughan
04-20-2017, 3:10 PM
Whenever I see prices like that, I can't help but wish I'd been the one to originally sell them the jointer.

David Sloan
04-20-2017, 3:38 PM
The stand alone is worth $500.00! They don't make 2 x 4's like that any more!

I agree Jerry. I love the stand! And it is definitely vintage. Built by a true craftsman!

Roger Marty
04-20-2017, 5:25 PM
How about this 20" bandsaw for $200?

Larry Edgerton
04-20-2017, 6:03 PM
On the other hand........

I bought a double spindle Unitronix shaper, no missing parts, two 3/4" and two 1 1/8" spindles, manual wrenches and spare parts with a 1hp Univer feeder for $750. Shaper weighs 3400 pounds, three of the spindles were perfect at the top, one was a half a thousandth out. It a close copy of a Martin T21, awesome machine.

Then I sold my well used Minimax T50 for $1500.

Dick Latshaw
04-20-2017, 11:06 PM
My favorite is when people mis-label a RAS as a "table saw".

You mean a "radio alarm saw"? :D

David Sloan
04-21-2017, 7:50 AM
How about this 20" bandsaw for $200?

That is a magnificent machine! And that's a bargain!

William Shelley
04-21-2017, 10:25 AM
As an aside, power tools are really pretty impressive for holding value over time. My other major interest is enterprise-grade computer hardware. It's quite amazing how a $60,000 new server system drops to about $2000 once the 3 year warranty expires.

And yet people still try and charge close to the new price for 3-5 year old computer junk on craigslist.

Chris Hachet
04-21-2017, 11:01 AM
As an aside, power tools are really pretty impressive for holding value over time. My other major interest is enterprise-grade computer hardware. It's quite amazing how a $60,000 new server system drops to about $2000 once the 3 year warranty expires.

And yet people still try and charge close to the new price for 3-5 year old computer junk on craigslist.It really feels like in every way the entire country has taken leave of its senses in the last year or so. Woodworking is a really nice way for me to escape some of the craziness.

I find dealing directly with other woodworkers is far more effective than Craigslist in buying equipment. There is not a single decent 8 inch Jointer available on Craigslist at a rational price anywhere within 400 miles of my home in Columbus Ohio. Another woodworker is cutting me a very fair deal on one.

I can't really see driving across town to look at a lot of the stuff that comes up on Craigslist, much less 3 1/2 hours. That doesn't keep me from checking Craigslist religiously every day though,a s there are bargains out there.

Dave Macy
04-21-2017, 10:04 PM
Should buy the jointer and flip it lol

Michael Alu
04-22-2017, 10:09 AM
how about this electric table saw. Also notice his method of cleaning it.

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/tls/6090977382.html

Greg Woloshyn
04-22-2017, 10:38 AM
how about this electric table saw. Also notice his method of cleaning it.

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/tls/6090977382.html

LOL now that is funny. What an idiot.

John C Cox
04-22-2017, 4:15 PM
Likely he was pressure washing out 20 years of chicken poo from storage in a chicken house... And thats not "rust".. Its "patina"....

Honestly - I think many people put stupid prices on things for several reasons...
1. They are delusional.
2. They know they will have to negotiate down to sell... So they are trying to give themselves room
3. They look at new list prices rather than factoring in depreciation... Aka a 20 year old version is not worth 75% of new...
4. They are just no good at selling.... There is a very good reason that consignment, pawn shops, and "antique mall" places exist...
5. They dont understand the difference between "selling" and "keeping"

jack duren
04-22-2017, 4:23 PM

Does it bother you that much?

Ted Reischl
04-22-2017, 4:28 PM
I have found some good deals on CL. Wanted an old Delta lathe, with the jack shaft so I had sixteen speeds. Wound up buying two lathes to get all the pieces I needed. Total outlay was $200. I put the one I wanted together, then sold the other one which was running for $150. So I got the lathe I wanted for $50.

BUT....people hear these stories about how some old piece of woodworking machinery is worth tons of money and suddenly anything and everything that is old is valuable in their twisted way of thinking. I had fun with one on Ebay a few years ago. He used the vintage and collectible words. Ridiculous price on the item. So I asked him eventually "Would you pay the same for an antique Model A as you would for the same year Pierce Arrow? He still did not get it, LOL.

Bill Dufour
04-22-2017, 4:40 PM
I like the fact he is not using safety glasses and he has them lens down so they get scratched. Probably took them off because too much high pressure water blew onto the lenses!

Bruce Page
04-22-2017, 4:52 PM
Does it bother you that much?

Jack, I don't think anybody's bothered, just having a little fun.

Frankie Hunt
04-22-2017, 8:15 PM
Timing is everything. There are not many good deals in my neck of the woods either. Having said that, last year I found a like new Sawstop PCS for about 60% of new price. I was onsite with money within 1 hour of the post and 3 others were on their way to view. The post was removed later that day. So..... Not that many people even saw the deal. The great deals get deleted fast, the others linger for weeks.

David Sloan
04-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Jack, I don't think anybody's bothered, just having a little fun.

Exactly Bruce, as one who has bought and sold good tools on Craigslist and Ebay (with consistently happy results on both ends), I just thought the listing was pretty funny (and many of you have agreed). Who knows maybe the guy that listed the old jointer was laughing as he posted it!

Mike Manning
05-16-2017, 6:51 PM
Whenever I see prices like that, I can't help but wish I'd been the one to originally sell them the jointer.

Now that's funny!

Ryan Mooney
05-16-2017, 7:02 PM

$1500 at the local Salvation Army... and was missing parts as a bonus. I looked at it at least 5 times to make sure it wasn't a misprint or a misplaced decimal but nope.. $1500!

John C Cox
05-16-2017, 7:48 PM
Unfortunately - there can be political games going on at places like that thrift store.... The "person in the know" prices the object stupid... It sits and sits and sits... The fellow wont budge for some crazy reason....

Then somebody decides to jettison the thing because it just won't sell... And guess who is there to take the scrap off their hands? You got it - that same do gooder....

I have seen them do stuff like this because "Those junk shop dealers buy our stuff then mark it up in their own store..." Yeah... Well... YOU are getting it totally free on donation.. He has to pay for it... And he also has to let it sit around while nobody buys it for a fouple years till he finally negotiates a much lower price...

John Gulick
05-23-2017, 8:36 PM
We found a nice Powermatic tenoner on CL for $150 last week, it took me two days to think about it. Wife and I drove 7 hours each way to bring her home. A little spir polish, etc, etc and she is running great.

14 Hour day road trip but well worth it

Paul K. Johnson
05-24-2017, 9:09 AM
Are the 2 x 6 legs included in that price?

Paul K. Johnson
05-24-2017, 9:10 AM
We found a nice Powermatic tenoner on CL for $150 last week, it took me two days to think about it. Wife and I drove 7 hours each way to bring her home. A little spir polish, etc, etc and she is running great.

14 Hour day road trip but well worth it

What are you doing for your wife? She sounds awesome!

Rick Alexander
05-26-2017, 8:16 AM
I'm sort of in the middle of this right now. My dad passed back in January this year and he and I both had a passion for woodworking so both of us have had shops for years now. He had really good stuff - but pretty old vintage. I have most of the tools he had and in a little better shape so I'm trying to get his stuff moved out of the house now. I just sold a 1.5 HP Grizzly shaper with a 1/4 HP feeder for $550 which I thought was a pretty good deal for both the buyer and seller and it got it gone. Problem was I had about 10 replies wanting me to take a check and let their mover pick it up. Folks must still fall for this stuff I guess or they wouldn't be still doing it. Also, in Atlanta we just had another couple killed when they went to meet a guy for a sale. That and just not wanting folks coming to my house that I don't know has me wondering if there isn't a better way to sell WW stuff. I sold the shaper in 1 day but I didn't feel comfortable with the whole deal.

Nick Decker
05-26-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm the same way, Rick. Whenever possible, I'll try to meet a buyer someplace other than my home. Probably paranoia, but I'd just as soon not having them come to my house.

Bill Dufour
05-28-2017, 12:59 AM
Some police departments have set up a site in the police station parking lot for folks to meet and do the exchange there. it is well lit, 100% video recorded and in the station parking lot. Anything goes wrong yell loud and an officer will come running out. It would be nice if they had an outlet to power up the tool before handing over the money.
Bill

no idea if this link is legit or not.....
https://www.safedeal.zone/