PDA

View Full Version : Position for hauling a bandsaw

julian abram
04-19-2017, 6:04 PM
If all the stars align I am going to the Grizzly showroom tomorrow morning and purchasing a band saw G0513x2 . I would like to haul it home laying horizontal instead of upright. I have a full size Silverado with a topper that I don't want to remove it if possible. Seems like with the saw in a crate it could be laying down without damage. Anyone have experience hauling a crated band saw horizontal instead of vertical? Yes I have messaged customer service but have not received a response yet. thanks!

Matt Day
04-19-2017, 6:07 PM
Horizontal on the spine should be fine, as long as the crate is made to accommodate it.

Sam Murdoch
04-19-2017, 6:09 PM
You might find that their crate is a heavy card board box. Good to plan on some extra support and tie downs but as Matt writes above, on the spine will be safe. Just don't allow any rolling.

Jacques Gagnon
04-19-2017, 6:19 PM
Congratulations for the new toy Julian!

I have moved two bandsaws in the past. Once uncrated at the back of a Ford Explorer and a second time crated (factory) in a utility trailer. No problem either time. As Sam mentioned, extra padding and tie downs will ensure a safe trip home.

John McClanahan
04-19-2017, 6:38 PM
Remove the table if it is installed. That will prevent possible damage to the trunions. It will also make the saw less top heavy when it is on its spine.

John

Ed Aumiller
04-19-2017, 8:51 PM
Ditto to removing the table..

Bruce Wrenn
04-19-2017, 8:57 PM
Smaller saws, but when I moved used saws, I removed table, stand and laid saw on a couple tires in back of truck, tied it down and away we went

Darcy Warner
04-19-2017, 9:02 PM
Northfield crates and ships their saws laying on their spine.

I have never taken a table off a bandsaw to haul or ship.

Warren Lake
04-19-2017, 9:16 PM
I lay a 36" wadkin down for a six hour drive. Guy I bought it from flipped out. took the top section off and the table off then supported it assembled it here. It was on a flat 16 foot car trailer and I had no interest in it doing the journey standing up. Other than a bit of time it worked perfectly. Wee bit heavy.

julian abram
04-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Fellows, thanks for sharing your thoughts about this. I'm going to rolll the dice in the morning and leave the house my bed cap on. Grizzly website shows their bandsaw in a pretty solid looking wood crate with the table off. We'll giver a try in the horizontal.

Frederick Skelly
04-20-2017, 6:07 AM
Hauled a Rikon 14" horizontal. Don't know big your Griz is in comparison, but I had no problem.

julian abram
04-20-2017, 6:40 AM
This saw is a 17".

Pete Staehling
04-20-2017, 7:55 AM
Ditto to removing the table..
Just me, but... I wouldn't do that with a factory crated saw. The manufacturer has certainly shipped may saws and ought to have the packing well figured out. I'd just count on them to pack it well, unless it was obvious that packing was insufficient.

If it was an uncrated saw or the packing looked inadequate, then yes by all means take the table off. When I bough a used Delta I hauled it laying down and broke a trunion. Since then when it had to be moved I took off the table and the top half of the saw (taking it apart at the rise block). By breaking it down into three pieces the weight of each was much more manageable and I was more easily able to handle it alone.

Rod Sheridan
04-20-2017, 8:39 AM
Hi Julian, here's a photo of a Hammer N4400 in my minivan............Regards, Rod.

julian abram
04-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Band saw saga ended in success, got home with it safely late this afternoon. It transported just fine horizontal positioned on it's spine. Funny deal, when I drove around the loading dock, I noticed it was laying on its spine in the warehouse when the forklift drive went to pick it up. Too much worry about nothing.:)

Jim Becker
04-21-2017, 9:48 AM
Horizontal on the spine and well supported is just fine for these machines. That's how I brought my MM16 home and helped more than one other person do the same with theirs.

John Sanford
04-26-2017, 1:59 PM
Funny deal, when I drove around the loading dock, I noticed it was laying on its spine in the warehouse when the forklift drive went to pick it up. Too much worry about nothing.:)

That, or the fork lift driver knocked it over, and wasn't quick enough to get it standing up before you got there.... :p

Congrats on the new iron.