PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to RDWorks... is there something better?

Pieter Swart
04-19-2017, 6:11 AM
As the title suggests, what other software is available to replace RDWorks?

Reading through the forums and posts, I can see a lot of posts about issues with RDWorks... Are there alternatives that work better with Corel?:confused:

The reason I ask:

I have had the priveledge of working with Aspire4.5 from Vectrix and Mach3 mill for my old cnc router ( sold it... took up too much space ) and I think that software may have been a better match, BUT... I have not had the opportunity to try, since I sold it all...

Has anyone ever had this software and tried it?

Michael Henriksen
04-19-2017, 7:23 AM
I'm not aware of any alternative software that works with the Ruida controller. Leetro/Lasercut 5.3 is worse in my opinion.

Joseph Shawa
04-19-2017, 10:47 AM
There is a new open source solution to use with an Arduino controller AND it's in ENGLISH!!!

But, you have to be willing to learn to burn the program to the Arduino. I don't have enough time as of yet but my guess someone will start selling them in ready form. I don't like LaserCut either but there is so many settings that it takes care of that I cannot imagine the switch being easy.

Bryan Spiegel
04-19-2017, 11:33 AM
My educated guess why there is not a better option for the Chinese machine boards, or an inexpensive controller board produced commercially? The Chinese companies will steal it, screw it up, and you would find them all over ebay in a week.

Kev Williams
04-19-2017, 11:54 AM
My software is PHCad/Lasersoft, and based on screenshots I've seen of RDworks, Lasercut and others, they're all pretty much the same...

What I figured out in very short order, is that Lasersoft is good for ONLY one thing, sending the job to the machine. Maybe 2 things, it's actually pretty good at changing a grayscale photo into a halftone bitmap.

Aside from that, there's nothing resembling 'efficient' editing in Lasersoft.

Because of that, virtually everything I engrave in my Triumph is made ready to engrave with my other software, and ultimately Corel since it has the export plugin... Colors, sizes, part and engraving positions in the machine, everything. Once the job is ready, I dump it into Lasersoft, make sure everything paints correctly (important), and othewise looks good, then I choose my settings and engrave.

the absolute only editing I do whatsoever in lasersoft is MOVE something. But even then, I'll usually go back to Corel and do it, and re-export the job.

Just burn it into your brain that RDworks is nothing more than the print server for the laser. Because that's all these programs are good for IMO. ;)

Jeff Body
04-19-2017, 2:03 PM
What issues are you reading.

I find RDworks does what it's designed to do. It sends a .DXF or .ai file to the laser.

It's in no way shape or form a designing tool.

I'm probably the only one here but I design all my files in a program called VinylMaster. It's something I've used for a few years in my sign business. I export as a .ai file and bring it into RDworks. I set up cut and scan colors and away it goes.

It just takes practice.

Brett Winston
04-26-2017, 7:54 PM
There is a new open source solution to use with an Arduino controller AND it's in ENGLISH!!!

But, you have to be willing to learn to burn the program to the Arduino. I don't have enough time as of yet but my guess someone will start selling them in ready form. I don't like LaserCut either but there is so many settings that it takes care of that I cannot imagine the switch being easy.

does the arduino interface or replace the ruida controller? I've got a bunch a various arduinos here and writing to them is not difficult once you are setup properly.

John Lifer
04-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Totally agree with Kev and Jeff. I read, and played with RDworks trying to do a few graphics. Totally useless. I design in CorelDraw. RDworks is used to maybe size and rotate items, and to select layers. Yeah, I could do better in corel to insure colors are proper for RDworks, but I'm lazy most of the time and do it in RDworks as I have to insure power is right also. That is about as far as design goes. I'd LOVE a plugin for CorelDraw that would just printserver to the laser, but that isn't happening I don't think.
Spend the $ and get Corel.

Christian Schink
04-27-2017, 4:06 PM
Unfortunately you have to stick with the software that is compatible with your controller board, as the other members already pointed out. I personally think that RDWorks and RDCam are by far the most usable programs for Chinese controllers out there. I had to work with both LaserCut (Leetro) and LaserSoft (Triumph) for a short period of time and both of those confused me more than they should have. Maybe you have to get used to a way to do things for each of those, but once you have accustomed yourself I personally think they do the job properly. Of course editing is not a strong point of those programs, I use Corel as well.

There are other options to swap out the controller with an Arduino or similar, that however is more a solution for people who want to fiddle with ther machines and enjoy tweaking rather than working. A few friends of mine have a laser running with their own programs and it works, but it is not as easy and comfortable (yet).

John Buskirk
05-03-2017, 8:24 PM
I know some of the boys over at https://www.facebook.com/groups/900528680076062/ are taking a run at improving the RD Works code. Interesting project but they're way above me on that stuff. They are asking for suggestions as to what needs to be reworked or added. Great community to be a part of.

John Lifer
05-04-2017, 1:51 PM
I looked at his video yesterday. I don't need another vector graphics program. And that is what he is trying to develop. It might work, but it won't really be any 'better' for me as I don't design in RDWorks and anyone who tries is doomed to very basic and taxing future. Doomed I say, Doomed! :D
I made comment that what I need is a better interface with the laser. More of a print driver, and he won't go there. So, while I hope he comes up with something, don't hold your breath. Buy Coreldraw, design with it and just use RdWorks as interface using just the minimal you need to. I believe you've then used your time most wisely.

Kev Williams
05-05-2017, 1:09 AM
What Chinese laser engineers need to do is quit trying to re-invent Corel and just develop a simple print driver like most everyone else does...

Julian Ashcroft
05-05-2017, 2:17 AM
One of my Chinese lasers uses software called PowerCut, there doesn't seem much information about it, but I find it much, much better than RDWorks which I have on another machine. I'm pretty sure it will only work with the controller in my machine though.

Pieter Swart
05-07-2017, 8:22 AM
I found a site that took Rd Works version 8 and turned it into an "ENGLISH" software. the corrected a few errors and made it a little ( emphasis on little ) easier to learn and understand.
Its a Laserworks version 8 offered by Makerspace New Zealand. if you google them it will come up. I used it for a week and it works a little easier.

Bill Carruthers
05-07-2017, 10:42 AM
I found a site that took Rd Works version 8 and turned it into an "ENGLISH" software. the corrected a few errors and made it a little ( emphasis on little ) easier to learn and understand.
Its a Laserworks version 8 offered by Makerspace New Zealand. if you google them it will come up. I used it for a week and it works a little easier.

That site also has a link to a series of videos that give a really good look at how to use RD Works-including some quite advanced techniques for using it. https://youtu.be/qEThB_5C2zk?list=PL41buN0pxeB8aonTo8YKrDY654vuZ8ed 1

John Lifer
05-08-2017, 7:21 PM
I looked at a couple, they did have good instructions on export from inkscape and illustrator to insure fies import correctly. I hadn't seen any good instructions on arrays, I at least understand them and how to use now. Btw, it's about version 8.10 so rather old. I can't use Remote​ with it...

David Somers
05-08-2017, 10:18 PM
You are probably better off using RDWorks as simply a tool for sending a graphic job to the laser. Especially if you already know a program like Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator or Aspire. If you know one of those do your design work in that, send the job to RDWorks if you have a plug in for your software (like the Corel Plug in for RDWorks that works with Corel 7 or lower) Or import the piece into RDWorks and do any minor tweaking, like color(layer) assignments in there. And then send it to the laser.

Just my take on the problem.