PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix this screwdriver

Robert Hayward
04-18-2017, 9:24 PM
This was a favorite screwdriver for a lot of years. the tip is still like new. I got it from a neighbors shed sale in 1973 who had died at age 94.

How do I get the handle apart ? The shank is long enough that I can turn a new handle and rebuild the screwdriver, albeit an inch or so shorter.

In case anyone is wondering.. I had it in my back pocket climbing a scaffold and it caught, also ripping my jeans. :mad:

http://photos.imageevent.com/bayward/latheturning/websize/Screwdriver%201.jpg

Grant Wilkinson
04-19-2017, 10:21 AM
I assume that you want to get the handle apart because you want to re-use that great ferrule. Also, you have a lathe.

If I were you, I would cut the handle off at the end of the ferrule. Then, with luck, you can drive the broken part of the screwdriver shank out of the wood. That done, you could drill or turn out the wood still in the ferrule and turn a new handle with a tapered tenon to fit into the ferrule. If it were me, I would not drill all existing wood out of the ferrule because I don't think I could duplicate the great notched part at the screwdriver end of the ferrule. But, it you drill up to there, you would be able to glue in a new handle.

Good luck with this. Pls post your finished product, no matter what approach you take.

Steve Peterson
04-21-2017, 12:22 PM
I agree with Grant completely. The part inside the ferrule probably has a flattened section to help it bite into the wood. You may need to grind some flats into the new end before gluing it in to a new handle. You wouldn't want the updated screwdriver to spin inside its brand new handle.

Steve

Rick Malakoff
04-21-2017, 8:54 PM
If it were me, I would drill out the handle from the top and drift out the broken piece and install the bit back in with epoxy and some sort of flat and shoulder to keep it from twisting and the plug the hole in top.

Rick

lowell holmes
04-21-2017, 11:25 PM
If you don't have a lathe, you can make a square handle and "whittle" it to be round. I am doing that on a coping saw handle now.

Make it 6 to 8 sided and you can sand it round.