PDA

View Full Version : Slim pickings today....

steven c newman
04-18-2017, 5:26 PM
Expensive, too..
8 chisels = $15? Meh...:eek:
Little, red handled Millers Falls..
Other than the one gouge, the rest are skews..
Fancy handled one has something about Schmidt and that longest one is a Spear & Jackson gouge. The others are Buck Brothers.
Millers Falls are a straight, a skew, and a "V" groover.

Not a whole lot in that store, today....:rolleyes:

Lee Schierer
04-18-2017, 6:44 PM
Even less after you were there. :)

steven c newman
04-18-2017, 8:02 PM
Not really sure WHAT I got.....carving tools? Dovetail tools? Couple of the skews are single bevel, others have both sides beveled. Two of the Buck Brothers chisels have Octagon handles, the third has a more normal round handle.

Y. Schmidt & CO. is the fancy handle. The Millers Falls have that fancy Tropical Hardwood handle. Looked like at one time, the letters stamped into the handles was painted white.

Spear & Jackson make gouges? This one is an "out" version. Very shallow curve to it, too.

Jim Koepke
04-18-2017, 8:23 PM
Be careful on the carving tools. The can get more addictive than hand planes. DAMHIKT!

jtk

Stew Denton
04-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Steven,

Slim Pickens my eye! Ya did good, and the price was very good!

Stew

steven c newman
04-19-2017, 9:35 AM
The three Millers Falls chisels were from a set, No. 106, I didn't see any others in the box of chisels she had.

I never knew Spear & Jackson made gouges. Blade has a S & J inside an oval stamped beside the name.

The one Buck Brothers chisel seems to be a little newer than the other two....

As for Mr. Fancy Handle....still looking it up....no info as yet on it.

Chris Hachet
04-19-2017, 10:11 AM
I need to come rust hunt with you again, wanting some more tools...

steven c newman
04-19-2017, 7:04 PM
Hmmm...I do know of a couple of places I haven't "shopped" at....yet. East side of Springfield, OH.....Maybe I should check on the hours they are open...