PDA

View Full Version : kitchen cabinets

paul morelli
04-17-2017, 10:36 PM
I am new to Sawmill creek and hoping someone can help with kitchen cabinet. After reading several post on this site I have decided that building is out of the question. To much work and not enough room. I have considered IKEA and RTA cabinets as suggested by some members but came across Clipstudios. They appear to use good quality hardware and plywood boxes. Has anyone had any dealings with Clipstudios.com cabinets? Any input is appreciated.

John TenEyck
04-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Welcome to SMC. I think you mean Cliqstudios. Here's a link for others' benefit: http://www.cliqstudios.com/?creativeId=153837316491&keyword=wholesale%20kitchen%20cabinets&matchtype=e&c3api=4078%2C153837316491%2Cwholesale%20kitchen%20 cabinets&gclid=CMz935aCrdMCFdyEswodb-QBew

John

Bradley Gray
04-17-2017, 11:19 PM
Cabinetmaking trade mags have lots of ads for RTA and components. you can subscribe here.

(http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com)

Roger Marty
04-18-2017, 8:09 AM
Welcome to SMC. I think you mean Cliqstudios. Here's a link for others' benefit: http://www.cliqstudios.com/?creativeId=153837316491&keyword=wholesale%20kitchen%20cabinets&matchtype=e&c3api=4078%2C153837316491%2Cwholesale%20kitchen%20 cabinets&gclid=CMz935aCrdMCFdyEswodb-QBew

John

Interesting. My wife and I got a couple local quotes for new kitchen cabinets. Between $18000 and $36000.

Jim Becker
04-18-2017, 9:38 AM
I've used the Ikea boxes and would consider them if I needed boxes quickly as they are of good quality compared to 'borg boxes and come with actual Blum hardware. I'm not overly fond of the door and drawer fronts; not because of quality, but because I'm more anal about matching grain/color for those items. I'm not familiar with the other brand you mention.

Roger Marty
04-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Cliq Studios are apparently made in China (but assembled in the U.S.).

Adam Herman
04-18-2017, 1:12 PM
I installed a kitchen full of Cliq cabinets a few weeks ago. They are well made and look great. a few small quality issues but for the price i would recommend them. The doors were very well put together. The boxes are all ply and dadoed, glued and stapled. We had one that the faceframe was attached wonky and they are replacing it.

Jamie Buxton
04-18-2017, 1:53 PM
I installed a kitchen full of Cliq cabinets a few weeks ago. They are well made and look great. a few small quality issues but for the price i would recommend them. The doors were very well put together. The boxes are all ply and dadoed, glued and stapled. We had one that the faceframe was attached wonky and they are replacing it.

What are the drawer slides? The web site has no detail on them. Are they undermount? Are they Blum, like the hinges?

Adam Herman
04-18-2017, 2:11 PM
blum undermount. with the big orange handle things. The ones i installed were all soft/self.

Chris Padilla
04-18-2017, 2:53 PM
Cliqstudios looks pretty nice. I will definitely have them quote me on my kitchen remodel. Those are cabinets I will not build!

Jamie Buxton
04-18-2017, 3:03 PM
Cliqstudios looks pretty nice. I will definitely have them quote me on my kitchen remodel. Those are cabinets I will not build!

The cabinets do look okay, but it appears Cliq doesn't do a clear finish. Y'know, just pretty wood without any added color. That'd be a showstopper for me.

Chris Padilla
04-18-2017, 3:08 PM
The devil is always in the details but I'll keep them on my list to check into more carefully when the time comes.

john bateman
04-18-2017, 5:26 PM
I was skeptical of Cabinetstogo.com but I visited their store near Washington DC. Their selection of finishes is limited, but for knock down cabinets they were pretty well made and the price was good.

Paul F Franklin
04-18-2017, 7:07 PM
I can recommend conestoga cabinets available through cabinet authority. They have the widest selection of materials, styles and options I've seen. That has been very handy a couple of times when I've needed to infill a cabinet due to appliance change or the like. In those cases, I've ordered them unfinished and matched the existing cabinets on site.

Not sure how prices compare but worth a look.

paul morelli
04-18-2017, 9:21 PM
When you say clear finish are you talking about a finish at the end like a poly? How will that affect the durability of the finish? These are cabinets I am hanging in my kitchen and I want to get it right. Thanks to all for the reply's.

The cabinets do look okay, but it appears Cliq doesn't do a clear finish. Y'know, just pretty wood without any added color. That'd be a showstopper for me.

Chris Padilla
04-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Paul,

Kinda sorta. What Jamie is referring to is applying a clear coat as the one and only finish to the wood so that the wood's own color and pattern shines through. I didn't dig deep into their site but I would think they could do such a thing if you ask. Let us know if you hear differently.

Adam Herman
04-19-2017, 11:59 AM
I think what he means is there is no Clear wood finish, only stains and paint.

Jim Dwight
04-20-2017, 7:45 PM
I am considering Lily Ann cabinets partially because they offer 40 inch tall uppers. I prefer that to two cabinets. They are RTA, most styles are plywood and they use soft close doors and drawer glides. Anybody use them?

I think that commercial cabinets are stained because most people want all the wood to match. Unless you make all the doors and drawer fronts from the same log it won't match - and it may not then. A woodworker likes the variation but a lot of members of the public do not. So commercial cabinets (and furniture) is all stained to essentially eliminate the natural variation in the wood.

I made a kitchen once and would do it again but my wife won't. She knows it will take months and she isn't willing to be in the in-between state that long. I can do the cabinets a few at a time and not take the old out before the new are ready to go in but she says no. I think I get to make the bathroom cabinets, however. I've done one so far. She's already picked out the granite with sinks attached for our bath and showed me the cabinet she likes (I forget how much it was but it was at least $500 - may have been closer to $1000).

I walked through the Ikea in Pittsburgh Pa when I was there recently and had time before my flight. I liked the looks of their kitchens and their modular approach to drawer sizes and other features is admirable. They also make tall uppers. But they use particle board and I don't think I can get over that. I also don't think they have a cabinet that fits my wife's appearance criteria.

richard poitras
04-20-2017, 9:13 PM
I just purchased some cabinets from CS hardware for a flip house. They have plywood box's and they have soft close doors and soft close dove tail drawers . I have not got them yet but they were a good price and I hope they are as good of cabinet on paper as in real life. Time will tell but for $2000 I figure I would give them a try. They also will give you 10% of if you are a contractor as well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjZ4J3frbTTAhWs34MKHUO5D2kQFggjMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cshardware.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNFfTVRpL2ZiMx6Nj8OYxDzol-ix3g&sig2=hOtcF8nakH3DQ96KXln1Dw

Julie Moriarty
04-21-2017, 8:35 AM
Out of curiosity I compared the price of a tall oven cabinet to the cost of materials for one I just made. Cliq's price was $1325 delivered. My cost for materials was about $150 using 3/4" birch plywood for the sides and bottom of the oven opening, 1/2" plywood for the drawers, shelves, top & bottom and 1/4" plywood for the back. Drawer slides are Blum undermount soft close, door hinges are Blum compact soft close and handles are stainless bar. But quotes I got at HD put that oven cabinet at almost $2000 and that cabinet had a lot of cost cuts in materials.

FWIW, I kept material costs to a minimum (fixed income and all that) and will be painting the sides to create a weathered look. So high quality hardwoods and plywood was not needed, like in our last house. But the cost savings was substantial enough to compel me to make the cabinets even though I'm slowing down a bit with age.

Chris Padilla
04-21-2017, 2:15 PM
I wish I had the time and my wife had the patience to wait for me to make our kitchen cabinets (would probably take me a year since I work full-time, have a full-time wife and full-time teenage daughter, and a full-time dog) but I've done enough throughout our home to save enough to pay someone else to get our kitchen done in a reasonable amount of time. It is the last room in the house to be redone and we're knocking on 20 years there. The kitchen has got to be the most stressful remodel in a home. It'll test that marriage!! :)

Adam Herman
04-21-2017, 3:22 PM
Out of curiosity I compared the price of a tall oven cabinet to the cost of materials for one I just made. Cliq's price was $1325 delivered. My cost for materials was about $150 using 3/4" birch plywood for the sides and bottom of the oven opening, 1/2" plywood for the drawers, shelves, top & bottom and 1/4" plywood for the back. Drawer slides are Blum undermount soft close, door hinges are Blum compact soft close and handles are stainless bar. But quotes I got at HD put that oven cabinet at almost $2000 and that cabinet had a lot of cost cuts in materials.

FWIW, I kept material costs to a minimum (fixed income and all that) and will be painting the sides to create a weathered look. So high quality hardwoods and plywood was not needed, like in our last house. But the cost savings was substantial enough to compel me to make the cabinets even though I'm slowing down a bit with age.

some of the prices are a bit odd, the filler strips and stuff are very high for example, but when you avg. it across the whole kitchen with all the cabinets it becomes quite reasonable.

Julie Moriarty
04-21-2017, 8:48 PM
I wish I had the time and my wife had the patience to wait for me to make our kitchen cabinets (would probably take me a year since I work full-time, have a full-time wife and full-time teenage daughter, and a full-time dog) but I've done enough throughout our home to save enough to pay someone else to get our kitchen done in a reasonable amount of time. It is the last room in the house to be redone and we're knocking on 20 years there. The kitchen has got to be the most stressful remodel in a home. It'll test that marriage!! :)

OMG, Chris, all that full-time stuff made me laugh and cry and stress, all at the same time!

Jim Becker
04-22-2017, 11:17 AM
Julie, I've known Chris for a very long time and all that 'full time' stuff is very real and constantly being added to...case in point: the teenager. :D