PDA

View Full Version : My Dream Trip - Boston

John Hart
10-19-2005, 8:08 PM
I've always wanted to take a trip to Boston...but the stars never lined up for some reason. In fact, I was starting to think that I would never make it there. But lo and behold, my company has a need to send me there for some training next month!...and by golly, I want to make the most of it. So...I've decided to extend my stay by a couple of days and take the family along. I want my girls to get a chance to take in the history and beauty and gain something that I've always wanted, but never experienced.

So the question is...Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do that will be fullfilling, useful, educational, and fun while we're there?

Thanks!!

Andy Hoyt
10-19-2005, 8:18 PM
Old Ironsides and it's maintenance shop
The Concord Bridge
NYW
Fanueil Hall
The Green Monster
Boston Aquarium
Big Dig Tour
Old Sturbridge Village (a bit of a drive but worth it)

Thsse should chew up a morning. Then head downeast.

Ken Garlock
10-19-2005, 8:27 PM
John, I spent 4 yrs there back in the 60's when in the USAF. There are a lot of things to see. Some places to visit are : Downtown Boston, Lexington, Concord, and up the road is Salem. Do a google search on Boston and the Freedom Trail.

While in downtown Boston, drive across the Charles river and take a look at MIT and Harvard. on the other side of downtown, in Brookline, is Boston College.

Check out the wharf area, there used to be two excellent restaurants there, Anthony's Pier 1, and Jimmy's Harbor Side. A little on the pricey side, but outstanding.

Have Fun, I know you will enjoy the trip.:cool:

Rob Russell
10-19-2005, 8:31 PM
The Boston Walk through the historic parts of Boston is incredible.

Eat at Durgin Park, long known for their surly waitresses and good food.

Sturbridge Village is a good an hour - hour and a half out the Mass Turnpike from Boston. Check it out on the web - more than a day's activity, so a day isn't wasted going out there.

Carl Eyman
10-19-2005, 8:39 PM
The Freedom Trail, as others have said. Old Ironsides, too. Most importantly make sure they have read some history before seeing these sights. Why? Because all of us - most importantly our youngsters - are losing sight of huge odds our revolutionary soldiers faced AND OVERCAME. How did they overcome them? GUTS.

Ok enjoy your trip but have lunch or dinner at Durgin Park. That's an order!

Thomas Canfield
10-19-2005, 8:55 PM
You might also check out the John Adams and John Quincy Adams homes down in Quincy. My wife took me recently and it was impressive to see the old homes that had been maintained so well. Some of the floor boards about 30" wide and clear. You don't see that in the local box stores.

Bob Johnson2
10-19-2005, 9:03 PM
Depending on the age... The Boston Science Museum if it's raining, has a new "Starwars" exibit opening the end of Oct. but check the hours and get tickets ahead of time. A very kid oriented hands on kind of place. Has one of the IMAX theaters. The Boston Aquarium is very nice too if it rains.

Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market is something most folks hit. A historic shopping mall of sorts. Everyone likes it.

Cheers, if their older. From the TV Series.

Plymouth is a bit south but may be worth the trip to see the Mayflower and the rock. About 45 minutes.

Ditto on walking the Freedom trail in downtown.

The USS Constitution

Wonder around Cambridge/Harvard, walk the Charles river past MIT.

Don't bother with Salem.

If your into sports there's Fenway and the Boston Garden.

If you like Seafood... Legal Sea Food, there's a few downtown but the one at the Park Plaza is the original or hit the one at the Prudential Center and you can go to the top of the building for a good view of the city (check the hours). SkipJacks is good too.

The Capital Grill has great steaks (if your on expenses). You need a suit jacket and it isn't for kids so it'd depend on their ages.

Let me know if you need more or more age specific.

Steve Schoene
10-19-2005, 9:23 PM
The Museum of Fine Arts has a very good collection of American furniture.

Rich Konopka
10-19-2005, 9:31 PM
Stay In Back Bay / Copley Square. There is so much to see and do as everyone has indicated. The New England Aquarium is real nice and you can take a water taxi over to the Old Navy Yard from there and see the USS Constitution. Visit Bunker Hill and then walk the Freedom Trail back.

SkipJacks (On Clarendon behind Copley Square) is wayyyyyyy better than Legal Seafood IMHO. Turner Fisheries at Westin Copley Square has the best Chowda... But who doesn't in Boston.

Newberry Street wil appeal to the Mrs. with all the shops. Also, be sure to take a quick ride across the Charles River to Harvard Square.

The Science Museum is real cool for kids as well as the childrens Museum. The Boston Tea Party was right next to where the Childrens museum is.

Also, The Christian Science Park has a real cool Glass globe really cool.

Tim Morton
10-19-2005, 9:39 PM
the two f's..Faneull Hall..and Fenway Park:D :D

John Shuk
10-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Don' forget to have a pint a Guiness for me! Ahh mother's milk.

John Hart
10-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Geez...thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!! I thought maybe I'd get a couple but nothing like this! Now, I'm going to have to list everything out and figure out an itinerary....then take out a loan!:D

This is going to be great. I'm real big into history so we're going to take as much in as possible. The girls (10 and 11) are going to absolutely love the Stars Wars museum and the IMAX theater. (I just told them an hour ago and they're giddy about it). The food sounds great too. Looks like we're going to hit Plymouth as well. The kids are being homeschooled so we have the perfect opportunity to educate them ahead of time as Carl suggests. They don't care about Fenway, but since I'm a baseball nut and the Red Sox are my 2nd favorite team...we just gotta get in there!

Dream come true. Lots of Pics to take!:)

Thanks again!

Roger Myers
10-19-2005, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Johnson2]Don't bother with Salem.

QUOTE]

Well...I agree about Salem with respect to the witches, etc... BUT, if you enjoy musuems, the Peabody Essex is a real gem... also has considerable exhibit of some nice period furniture.

Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth NH (1 hour north) is very interesting and Portsmouth is also a nice (and smaller) city to visit and enjoy walking around...

For a nice visit on the coast, go to Cape May (Rockport & Gloucester) although season is "over" there are still many nice things to see...

Depending on your interests, and if you want some woodworking points of interests, there are many other choices...let me know

John Hart
10-19-2005, 10:52 PM
.....Depending on your interests, and if you want some woodworking points of interests, there are many other choices...let me know

Thanks Roger...yes please...Do tell!! The whole family likes good wood!:)

Roger Myers
10-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Here is a link to lots of properties that have great furniture in them...and some amazing history

http://www.historicnewengland.org/index.htm

Also for Shaker, there is Canterbury Shaker Village in Canterbury NH (near Concord... about 2 hours from Boston)

Boston's Musuem of Fine Arts is a great place to go
http://www.mfa.org/collections/index.asp?key=17

More to come as I have time

Jerry Olexa
10-19-2005, 11:51 PM
In my former life, I traveled all over the U.S. Generally, 3 out of 4 weeks I was on a plane w rental car on other end. Of all places, I've been, Boston is my favorite big city. Loads of culture, food, history, sports, etc, etc. You've been given good tips above. I do like Legal sea food and usually go there during each visit (usually the Newton location). Enjoy your trip. Also, The White Mts are only 2 1/2 hrs away and you can be In Maine in a little over an hour having a real lobster w your steamed clams.

Martin Shupe
10-20-2005, 12:58 PM
There is a monument just up the hill from the Constitution. It commemorates the Battle of Bunker Hill, which was actually fought on Breed's Hill. Worth seeing, IMHO. There is a small museum at the bottom and you can climb to the top (again, worth it) for a view of the city. Built by the Masons, you should be in awe of the stonework as you climb the 200+ steps to the top. If I could climb that monument every morning, I would be in great shape for backpacking.

There is also a monument on top of the Dorchester Heights. I was very disappointed there. While the monument is impressive, it was closed behind a locked gate. The location was very difficult to find, no signs, no one knew where it was, etc. It ended up being behind a school on the highest point of land (which I figured, but with the one way streets, it wasn't easy).

Now, who can tell me why there is a monument on the Dorchester Heights?

Glenn Clabo
10-20-2005, 1:16 PM
John,
The USS Constitution has one of SMC's own as the Master Chief of the Command in HMCS (SS) Don Abele. Look him up when you get there and tell him I'm still waiting for him to come down to get our facility tour.

Dan Mages
10-20-2005, 2:55 PM
How old are the kids? There is a great Holocaust memorial in downtown boston that is a good historical lesson for the girls, if they are old enough to understand it and not have nightmares later on. On the fun and more adult side is the Sam Adams brewery down in Jamaca Plaines. It is about 4 blocks from the subway. the tour is free with a small donation to a charity that maintains the cemetary where Sam Adams and his counterparts are buried. After the tour, you get to taste their fine brews and get a souvinior glass.

Other than that, Old Ironsides is a great place to visit. Faneull hall is nice, but is a little touristy and full of tacky shops. There is the large commons in the middle of the city that is nice for a picnic and a boat ride in one of the swan boats.

Stay away from the Bull and Finch tavern. It is a major tourist trap. I heard No-Name Restaurant is supposed to be the best seafood in town

Have fun!!

John Hart
10-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Now, who can tell me why there is a monument on the Dorchester Heights?

Now that you've forced me to do some digging...I've got to make it to Dorchester Heights. Sounds like a fairly significant, yet little known barrage of cannon fire! It also sounds like a great view of the city. We'll definitely make it.

Y'all have really made this sound great and that we'll never be able to see it all. I guess we'll just have to make more than this one trip.

Thanks again everyone! The girls are studying happily.:)

Bob Johnson2
10-21-2005, 2:03 PM
I heard No-Name Restaurant is supposed to be the best seafood in town

Have fun!!

I haven't been there in many years but when I did go it wasn't the best seafood but it was certianly the most seafood. You sat at what looked picnic tables and the plates were overflowing with deep fried whatever. Had to stand in an alley to wait for a table (that's where the door is/was), musician types stood around playing whatever for donations, pretty cool experience. It was BYOB, many years ago...

Mike Cutler
10-21-2005, 7:55 PM
John.
It's hard to add to the fine list of sites that you already have been given, but leave yourself some time to explore..
The downtown are is amazing, it's like a life sized maze, or labyrinth. Literally something to see around every corner. I believe that Boston is the only city in america that I could comfortably live in.
Explore the are around the Commons, just over the hill from Quincy Market,and maybe stroll along the Charles and waste some money on sausages and gaudy souveniers.
Dan Mages. No offense intended, but the Holocaust Exhibit is a little much, I think for 10 year olds. As an adult it had an effect on me for awhile, a very sobering experience.
Your wife might appreciate a stroll along Newbury St or Charles St. Lots of interesting little shops, and shopkeepers.
One word of caution though. Boston Water. Boston gets their water from the Quabin resevoir west of Boston. The chemical compound of Chloramine is added to the water. This is an chlorine molecule that has been bonded to an ammonia molecule to keep the chlorine from off gassing. The water can be a little rough on the digestive tract if you are not used to it( you'll learn where all the restrooms are at in the downtown area, damhikt). Most people in Boston drink bottled water, it's best to follow suit.
You may want to do an internet search on "Boston MBTA", this is the mass transportation sytem( subway) in Boston. The Green line is worth the price of admission alone. What a herky jerky ride, I hate it, but I bet a 10 year old would have fun on it for awhile.
Boston is Great town, have fun.

PS. The IMAX is very cool for anyone of any age, a must see exhibit.
One More PS. Bring your laptop, if you have one, most of Boston is wired for WiFi. T' Mobil has some subscription plans, and some places are limited local wireless lans for free, while you are drinking your coffee and having a bagel.

Dave Anderson NH
10-22-2005, 7:51 AM
Martin & others... The monument on Dorchester Heights commemorates the placement of artillery there. For almost a full year after the battles at Lexington and Concord the British occupied Boston and couldn't be dislodged by the Continental forces in their fortified positions. During late 1775 Ethan Allen took a force and captured Fort Ticonderoga. Henry Knox, Washington's chief of artillery, took an expeditonin the dead of winter and dragged the artillery with yokes of oxen to Boston. On a morning in early March 1776 the British awoke to find artillery emplaced on Dorchester Heights looking down into the city and making their position untenable. On March 17, 1776 they evacuated Boston by ship along with many Tories and landed in Halifax Nova Scotia. March 19th, Evacuation Day, is still a Boston and Suffolk county holiday in Massachusetts.

The monument commemorates the evacuation of Boston.

Rob Russell
10-22-2005, 9:04 AM
Looking at at the posts about Legal Seafood - that's a chain. It may be good, but if I only had a day or 2 to spend in Boston, the Union Street Oyster House is where I'd go for seafood. JMO.

Mike Cutler
10-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Looking at at the posts about Legal Seafood - that's a chain. It may be good, but if I only had a day or 2 to spend in Boston, the Union Street Oyster House is where I'd go for seafood. JMO.

Nice call Rob. I'd forgotten about the Oyster House. I know a great Portugese tappas resteraunt out toward Brookline. but it would be too hard to give direction over the net.
For food, I think a trip to the North End might also be in order. Great Italian food.

Brent Beelby
10-22-2005, 11:55 PM
John,

I took a trip though the states about 12 years ago. 9 weeks, 20,000 miles, 42 states, all back roads, and loved it. This is what I can remember about Boston.
-We drove around Harvard, It doesn't look like any campus I've seen, Looks just like your normal city block, well, a few blocks.
-We had to see the harbour where they didn't actually through any tea overboard.
-"Cheers" bar
-I loved the Brownstones, They are so well looked after they don't even look real, like something out of a book.
-I also drove through the city during rush hour, now that was really scary, no lanes, and no rules.

I know you're a history buff John so I'm sure you know all about the real story about Salem, But I found It really interesting. Superstitious women, histerical girls, and a crooked sheriff spelled bad news for most residents. At one time 200 people were in jail, the population of the town was only 400.

One other note, If you can get a friday or Saturday night off and have transportation, and if you like to people watch, you have to drive out to the end of the Cod. The greatest place in the world to people watch is in Provincetown, A.K.A. P-Town.

Thanks, Brent

Chris Giles
10-23-2005, 6:54 AM
John,
I second the motion about the Peabody-Essex museum in Salem. This is one of the most beautiful and unusual museums I've ever seen. Also, if you are into serious hiking, I highly recommend a two-hour drive up to Jaffrey, NH to climb Mount Monadnock. It is in full fall color right now, and is my favorite set of hiking trails in the region. I think your kids will enjoy the break from all the downtowning you will be doing in Boston. It takes about two hours to climb up, and 90 minutes down. Pack a lunch to eat at the top, and plenty of water. On a clear day, you can see downtown Boston, as well as mount Washington to the North. This side trip would give you a real slice of small-town New England, and might be the most memorable part of the trip. Have fun!

Ernie Nyvall
10-23-2005, 7:21 AM
Don't have any suggestions, but congrats on the trip. Take your camera so we'll know it really happened.

Ernie

Fred Voorhees
10-23-2005, 11:06 AM
And if all else fails, you can always head over to Cheers and visit with Sammy, Norm and Cliffy.

Jim Becker
10-23-2005, 11:11 AM
And if all else fails, you can always head over to Cheers and visit with Sammy, Norm and Cliffy.

The "real" Cheers is so small, I don't thing all three fellows could fit!!

Ian Barley
10-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Martin & others... The monument on Dorchester Heights commemorates the placement of artillery there. For almost a full year after the battles at Lexington and Concord the British occupied Boston and couldn't be dislodged by the Continental forces in their fortified positions. During late 1775 Ethan Allen took a force and captured Fort Ticonderoga. Henry Knox, Washington's chief of artillery, took an expeditonin the dead of winter and dragged the artillery with yokes of oxen to Boston. On a morning in early March 1776 the British awoke to find artillery emplaced on Dorchester Heights looking down into the city and making their position untenable. On March 17, 1776 they evacuated Boston by ship along with many Tories and landed in Halifax Nova Scotia. March 19th, Evacuation Day, is still a Boston and Suffolk county holiday in Massachusetts.

The monument commemorates the evacuation of Boston.

Read the book "1776" by David McCullough - very interesting insight, at least for those of us on the losing side.

I found Boston a fascinating city. When we come back to retake rightful possession I'm gonna recommend thats where we land.:)

John Hancock tower - if it is still open. Good view of the city and a nice little exhibit that deals with the start of your traitorous rebellion, or war of independence, take your pick.

I loved Harvard. I could have spent all day just soaking in the atmosphere. We were lucky enough to be able to listen in to a group of prospective students being given a tour by a current student. Fascinating.

We bought a multi-day pass on the mass transit and mostly used subway. When we go back we will use busses. With the subway you go in a hole in the ground and emerge from another at the other end. With the bus you get to see all the bits in between.

We ate at Legal's and enjoyed it.
Enjoy

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-23-2005, 12:18 PM
When your feet get tired, take a ride on (Ithink it's called) The Little Red Trolly. Beantowners, please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Bruce

Rich Konopka
10-23-2005, 7:25 PM
When your feet get tired, take a ride on (Ithink it's called) The Little Red Trolly. Beantowners, please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Bruce

Bruce,

You mean the Duck Boat Tours

Quack, Quack, Quack :D:D:D:D

The kids love em.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Don't they still run the Trolly? I thought they were Red. Maybe called the Beantown Trolly? It's been several years (about 10) since I was there, but these trollys had drivers who gave a a running account of what we were passing. You could get off and back on all day for one price. It traveled to the historical and interesting sites.

BTW, it wasn't one of the "Ducks"

Bruce

John Hart
10-24-2005, 7:25 AM
Thanks everyone for all the great input! I've been hunting around for pricing and stuff and keep running across these "passes" that offer free admission to a bunch of things if you buy the pass. Alot of times, things like these end up not being what they're advertised to be. Is this a good deal or should we avoid such packages?

Dan Mages
10-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Dan Mages. No offense intended, but the Holocaust Exhibit is a little much, I think for 10 year olds. As an adult it had an effect on me for awhile, a very sobering experience.

No offense taken. I agree that it would not be a good place to take 10 year old kids. I was not aware of their age when I made my post.

Have a safe trip!

Dan

Bob Johnson2
10-27-2005, 2:51 PM
Don't they still run the Trolly? I thought they were Red. Maybe called the Beantown Trolly? It's been several years (about 10) since I was there, but these trollys had drivers who gave a a running account of what we were passing. You could get off and back on all day for one price. It traveled to the historical and interesting sites.

BTW, it wasn't one of the "Ducks"

Bruce

They still run, saw them last weekend, don't know what they are called though. Someone mentioned the North End for Italian, do try it, if nothing else and your in the area stop at one of the italian bakeries. Parking is next to impossible there though. To get around the T (subway) works well, they have a web site with maps, timetables, etc.

Rich Konopka
10-29-2005, 6:14 AM
John:

My 13 year old daughter came back from a field trip to the Boston Science museum yesterday and loved the Imax film of Lewis and Clarks adventure. She also went on a Duckboat tour which was fun. She did say the Star Wars exhibit/show was boring and they managed to sneak out with their chaperone.

When are you going?

John Hart
10-29-2005, 6:28 AM
....When are you going?

Thanks Rich. The kids are excited about the Star Wars thing. Boring or not...I don't think we can avoid it. We are going on Wednesday, 11-16 and staying till Sunday. There's a possibility of Pilgrim related events too, since it is the weekend before Thanksgiving. There are some rumblings that the class might be cancelled and we can't go.:mad: But, we'll see I guess.

Tim Morton
10-29-2005, 7:50 AM
Thanks Rich. The kids are excited about the Star Wars thing. Boring or not...I don't think we can avoid it. We are going on Wednesday, 11-16 and staying till Sunday. There's a possibility of Pilgrim related events too, since it is the weekend before Thanksgiving. There are some rumblings that the class might be cancelled and we can't go.:mad: But, we'll see I guess.

we whave been to Pilgrim Plantation, its a pretty interesting day, especially if the weather is nice.

Rich Konopka
10-29-2005, 5:24 PM
What Class are you taking? Anything exciting??

John Hart
10-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Nope...not very exciting. It's a class on integrating FDA regulations into your computer systems. It's worthwhile but nothin' to write home about.:rolleyes:

John Hart
11-17-2005, 8:02 AM
Well...My trip to Boston got cancelled. I was just reminded that I haven't told anyone. Lack of participation I reckon. The nice thing is, it'll just be rescheduled and we'll get to do it anyway. Plus, this thread will exist for a long time so I'll always have my list of stuff to do. Everyone is very disappointed. It rips me up.:(

Thanks again everyone....Probably have to wait til Spring