PDA

View Full Version : Update: Handrail router

Richard Wolf
10-19-2005, 5:31 PM
I recieved the handrail router at last. It came Fed Ex today. It was a long wait. I ordered it on Sept. 1 and was told it would be about 3 to 4 weeks. Almost seven. This has always been the problem with this router, when you need it, you can't get it, and if you don't need it, why spend the money. Well now I have it and need it, now to spend some time in the learning curve. I can't even plug it in, it is listed as a 220 volt machine, but I guess when they import to America they change it to 110, but someone forget to tell them what our outlets look like.
If you missed the first post, it's under Handrail router Gloat.

Richard

Lee DeRaud
10-19-2005, 5:33 PM
Either you have really huge hands or that router is about half the size I expected.:confused:

Richard Wolf
10-19-2005, 5:41 PM
Lee, I guess it's a combination of both, it's a standard German router, not sure of the hp, looks like between 2 and 3. The money is in the bottom end. You wouldn't have one if you weren't going to make money with it, I hope!

Richard

Niels J. Larsen
10-19-2005, 5:47 PM
Richard,

Are you absolutely sure that router is a 110V unit ??
The plug you show in the picture is a standard 220V plug used (at least) here in Denmark.

So - if I were you I would double check the ratings on the router - there should be a sign or sticker with this information on the router itself.

/Niels

Todd Davidson
10-19-2005, 5:48 PM
Right on Richard! I'm eager to see what you produce with it!

What do you think the life span of the cutters are? Can they be resharpened? Are replacements available in the US or do you have to order from Germany?

And how come it doesn't weigh as much as your truck? ;)

In peace, Todd

Richard Wolf
10-19-2005, 5:56 PM
Thanks Niels, in picture one you can see a sticker right above the plug that says 110. I can only assume.

Todd, you can see the cutter on the bench, looks like a large router bit, doh. I can have different profiles made from a toolmaker locally. I'm sure reshapening is always a possibily.

TODD: I tried to send you a PM the other night and your mail box is full, clean it out!

Richard

Steve Clardy
10-19-2005, 6:02 PM
Quite a machine Richard.
Thats an odd looking shaft on the cutter also.
Not sure about your plug.
How many wires in the cord?

Todd Davidson
10-19-2005, 6:14 PM
I cleaned out my mail box last night (after you told me to).

Dev Emch
10-19-2005, 6:59 PM
A word of caution is in order Richard. When the grizz fan club begins buying german tools at german premium prices, your beginning the slip down a slippery road.:D So what's next? How about a jointer in 12 in or would that be 304.8 mm.:rolleyes: Nice tool however! You done good!

Richard Wolf
10-19-2005, 7:10 PM
Actually Dev, I'm not completely a Grizzly fan. My shop contains a mixture. Powermatic, MiniMax, Delta, Shop Fox and Grizzly. What ever fits the bill. It's difficult to justify high industrial machinery in a two man stair shop.

Richard

Dev Emch
10-19-2005, 7:35 PM
I always found it hard to justify anything. If its cheap, then you have live with its abnormalities. If its expensive, then you have to eat noodles for 6 months to pay it off. After 6 months of noodles and no red meat that box had better cough up some revenue producing business. What I cannot live with is money stress. What I can live with is ugly, flaking paint. I can always get to that during my down time. Most of my woodwork is custom garage doors, kitchen cabinets, built-ins, etc. Even done some retro windows and the once in a while furniture item. So my most prized tool is my shaper. Bought that new and could not live without it. German of course. Everything else is virtually older than I am and used. Its almost as if everything else supports the center of my shop which is the shaper.

The one thing I can say about my shaper is this. SPEEEEEED! Time is money. The faster you can do something and the quicker you can get the setup dialed in, the more you can pump through. When you look at some of these furniture guys building those wonderful pieces from scratch using hand tools, you have to wonder, what is their minimum wage? I would venture to say that quite a few of them have voluntarily forgone the Davis Bacon act on their own! Not me. I will pay off a $26,000 shaper before I start working for a dollar an hour or less!

And this router you got here is another one of those time savers. Should pay for itself relatively quickly on those curvy jobs.

Lee DeRaud
10-19-2005, 8:00 PM
Lee, I guess it's a combination of both, it's a standard German router, not sure of the hp, looks like between 2 and 3. The money is in the bottom end. You wouldn't have one if you weren't going to make money with it, I hope!

RichardOk, it looks smaller than that in the pictures. In any case, I was expecting something more like 3-4HP, given the size of the bits it's going to be spinning.

Russ Massery
10-19-2005, 8:19 PM
Richard, Looks fascinating hope you post some future projects pics. Does this router form the entire profile?

Richard Wolf
10-19-2005, 8:40 PM
Russ, Yes, it will form the entire profile, one side at a time and about 3 passes to complete.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
10-19-2005, 10:42 PM
KEWL TEWL!! Thanks for the pics Richard. Can't wait to see some of what you and the new machine will turn out!

Corey

Christian Aufreiter
10-20-2005, 6:06 AM
As Niels said, the plug looks "European". I think Scheer writes some specs on the black top of their routers. What does it say there?
According to Scheer, the router has 1400 Watt. That should be approx. 1.9 hp. However, as you certainly know this hp and Watt ratings should be used with caution. I'm not an expert on electricity but several discussions have dealt with this subject.

Regards,

Christian

Richard Wolf
10-20-2005, 7:55 AM
Thanks Christian, The sticker on the wire says 110, but I think I'll call the dealer today, before I plug this in!

Richard

Byron Trantham
10-20-2005, 8:30 AM
Thanks Christian, The sticker on the wire says 110, but I think I'll call the dealer today, before I plug this in!

Richard
Richard - AMEN! I wouldn't take the chance. One of the ends isn't correct and in either case they owe you something - a new cord or a different router [and cord].

I am looking forward to your assessment of the router.

Aaron Montgomery
10-20-2005, 8:58 AM
Nice router! I'd love to see some pictures of this thing in action.