PDA

View Full Version : PSA - Something To Check Before You Sharpen

Mike Goetzke
04-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Finally got some turning time yesterday. Was working on a second captured ring goblet for my son's wedding. Was moving slowly along. I visited the sharpener a few times then disaster occurred (well, originally I thought so). I turned on the grinder and as I slid the tool into the wheel the RoboRest platform went with it and chattered against the fairly new CBN wheel:(. I have the Wolverine system and over time the rod lock must have worked it's way loose. The chatter marks are tearful.

SO - check the tightness of the locking lever and maybe position of the platform to the wheel before turning on the grinder.

Ken Rizza was great. I emailed him and he said he did the same thing to one of his wheels. He said don't bother replacing it that it will get better with time. I did grind a few tools and I could slightly feel the chatter marks but the finish on the tools was as good as ever.

Mike

Richard Dooling
04-16-2017, 12:15 PM
I had this happen also. I was sharpening a roughing gouge and the V-arm slipped back. The gouge jammed into the wheel when it hit the 90* mark and BLAM. The gouge broke at the tang and chip was dug out of the white aluminum oxide wheel. I was very lucky the wheel didn't fly apart!

Fine dust had built up between the V-arm and the locking cam making it prone to slip.. Now I occasionally blow out the base and I double check the tightness of the locking lever.

This is obvious now but I hadn't given it much thought before.

Reed Gray
04-16-2017, 2:07 PM
When I get my sharpening clip up, soon I hope, I have a part about a CBN wheel I intentionally loaded up with aluminum, brass, copper, and cold rolled steel, just to see what happens. That was a couple of months ago. Most of it has worn off by now, helped a bit by some Trend Lapping fluid. I don't suggest it though. The particular wheel is 5 or so years old.

Another point too, there have been a couple of incidents where some one was adjusting the robo rest while the grinder was turned on.... Just like your lathe, you should not move the tool rest when the lathe or grinder is spinning. Having a positive stop, like a spacer block would help prevent that as well....

robo hippy

Pat Scott
04-16-2017, 8:58 PM
I took a small hose clamp and tightened it around the shaft that slides in and out. I routinely check the lock lever, but the hose clamp keeps it from going in too far.

Dave Fritz
04-17-2017, 8:37 AM
I took a small hose clamp and tightened it around the shaft that slides in and out. I routinely check the lock lever, but the hose clamp keeps it from going in too far.

Great idea. Thanks